Passing Training Balls

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by best_fullback, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Hi

I am thinking of buying one of these two:

Gilbert

Centurion

are these actually any good? because i want to improve my catching and passing etc.

any help appreciated

x

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. I've never used any of that buisiness. I've developed my hands by playing basketball, or just passing a rugby ball against a wall and trying to catch it before/right after first bounce. if you're a fullback, you'll benefit from just going to a field and launching up and unders for yourself.

4. el_tk

el_tk Guest

If you want to improve your passing you should get a pass developer ball. It has extra weight in some areas so it strengthens your wrists and improves your passing. It's a bit pricey in some places but it seems to work.

5. DC

DC Guest

I use the gilbert reflex all the time when i pracitce my passing, its basically a ball on a string, ive really improved my pass with it.

the weighted ball helps develop your wrist muscles and other muscles used for passing because it is weighted, so i would imagine it would do the same as a medicine ball training and help you get a quicker stronger pass.

6. Rugby_Cymru

Rugby_Cymru Guest

In work we have both the reflex ball and the morgan pass developer.
    The reflex ball is ok, but the pass developer is awesome. Really works your obliques, you wouldn't believe - after a few weeks of training with the heavy ball - how easy it is to throw a normal one. And when passing a normal ball becomes easier, both distance and accuracy becomes easier to achieve.

7. thanx guys

im thinking i mite invest in a morgan pass developer and a reflex ball. After seeing jonny yesterday i think everyone wants hands like he has!

8. DC

DC Guest

I just filled a regular ball with sand!!! works the same for me!

9. Rugby_Cymru

Rugby_Cymru Guest

A good point.
    Question: how did you fill ur ball up with sand?

10. DC

DC Guest

cut open a little hole on the seems, and then reseal it, doesnt have to be perfect just heavy enough to work your obliques

i should fill one with cement!!!

11. Rugby_Cymru

Rugby_Cymru Guest

Now that's hardcore!
    You know, once the cement ball becomes to easy for you maybe you could consider liquidising an element of lead, pouring it into the ball, waiting for it to set and wham!
    Lead filled ball!
    Core training to the extreme.

12. Caledfwlch

Caledfwlch Guest

supposing i cant reseal the ball?

13. Has anyone every used one of those egg shaped wall ball thingies to practice on your own.

They reviewed it on TheEastTerrace but I can't find a picture of it.

14. Rugby_Cymru

Rugby_Cymru Guest

Could you explain a little better of what your on about?
    I really can't picture what you're trying to explain.

And did it get good reviews?

15. Caledfwlch

Caledfwlch Guest

DC could u elaborate how u cut open holes fill itup and then reseal it? really interested in that idea

16. Elethor

Elethor Guest

I second that, how do you cut open and reseal a ball.. Since i have an extra ball lying around waiting to be cut and filled with sand : x

17. It had one end spherical and the other ovoid...you could handle it like a rugby ball throw it (sphere side first) against a wall and it would bounce back true allowing you to catch the rugby ball shaped end. Go for perfecting your gather and building strength in the pass.

18. DC

DC Guest

i just sliced my along the seam a little bit, not too much or you wont be able to reseall it, and then just sewed it up with a needle and heavier duty string stuff.

19. Caledfwlch

Caledfwlch Guest

thing is that these balls are sewn from the inside? so i'm not too sure bout how im gg to reseal these balls from the outside

20. DC

DC Guest

sew it through the outside thats what i did, i figured it doesnt need to be a perfect ball just somethin to work your obliques if you get what i mean.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!