• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

PGA Championship 2014

Haha, always the way of it! Mickelson has the best short game of all time, messing around with a 64 degree wedge and trying to play his shots is a great way to make a fool of yourself! This is the best major since Bubba's first masters I think.

Easily the best in long time and no doubt there's another few twists

I played a round of football gold last monday. This is shaping up to be a close second in my favourite golf based event of the weekend.

Totally different win to Rory's previous three majors, and probably the most important as he had to show huge bottle and he delivered. To have Mickelson and Rickie directly up ahead with the crowds going wild...to keep focused amidst that hooha and pull out a brilliant back nine is the mark of greatness. Only downside I can see with him is he supports Manchester United (will parade his majors at Old Trafford at this weekend)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/golf/pga-champion-rory-mcilroy-parade-4034584

Question is, is he the greatest sportsman in the world today?

Probably.

He's head and shoulders the best golfer in the world and I can't think of another major sport where someone reigns supreme over everyone else. Had Messi won the World Cup he would have been the only genuine challenge today. Tiger Woods, Roger Federer and Michael Schumacher had been the previous kings of sport. Usain Bolt is an obvious contender...only question is athletics is a once in a two year event, the others are week in week out and are in the public consciousness.

I'm pretty sure Rory will become the next Laureus World Sportsman of the year to end any doubt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laureus_World_Sports_Award_for_Sportsman_of_the_Year

Last edited:
Just watched the last 9 holes and that was a stunning mental victory for Rory who fought them off and came back from 2 down with a marvellous back nine. Brilliant, brilliant win.

I echo everything that has been said about Michelson who I have had the pleasure of meeting on more than one occasion....what you see is what you get. A man with enormous humility and no little skill who has been through a huge amount off the course with not enough majors on it!! How many would he have won if he had not had to play against that man at his pomp and splendour!

Great, great championship.........

Mickelson is a genius..the only golfer today to warrant such a label. The last was Seve. His short game is the most enjoyable sight in golf.

Rory is Tiger/machine like...solid at everything. Mickelson is unlucky in that just as Tiger has faded Rory has emerged. Now Rory has his head right (and has got over his equipment change) it's plain sailing for him now. He will easily get double figures in majors, the question is how close he will get to Jack.

Munster...when the course is damp it plays longer, which suits Rory. He's one of very few (about three players) who can reach a long par 5 in damp conditions....his eagle on the par 5 tenth was a massive moment. When the course is dry, shorter hitters get the benefit of the ball bouncing on the fairway and travelling further than in the damp when the ball plugs.

Mickelson is a genius..the only golfer today to warrant such a label. The last was Seve. His short game is the most enjoyable sight in golf.

Rory is Tiger/machine like...solid at everything. Mickelson is unlucky in that just as Tiger has faded Rory has emerged. Now Rory has his head right (and has got over his equipment change) it's plain sailing for him now. He will easily get double figures in majors, the question is how close he will get to Jack.

Munster...when the course is damp it plays longer, which suits Rory. He's one of very few (about three players) who can reach a long par 5 in damp conditions....his eagle on the par 5 tenth was a massive moment. When the course is dry, shorter hitters get the benefit of the ball bouncing on the fairway and travelling further than in the damp when the ball plugs.

Again I stated it based on his record in them conditions as was stated. His links golf record is bad too usually in them conditions.

Again I stated it based on his record in them conditions as was stated. His links golf record is bad too usually in them conditions.

What conditions? The weather associated with links is wind (due to being played on the coast). It suits low hitters..Darren Clarke being one of most adept at playing in such conditions. Rory has won the last two tournaments in damp courses which gave him an edge. What McGinley stated was correct...he was referring to damp conditions, not links conditions.

What conditions? The weather associated with links is wind (due to being played on the coast). It suits low hitters..Darren Clarke being one of most adept at playing in such conditions. Rory has won the last two tournaments in damp courses which gave him an edge. What McGinley stated was correct...he was referring to damp conditions, not links conditions.

Again as I stated weather and his past prior too good form. I only mentioned links associated with rain and wind.
Read what you want in to it.

Nah you referred to links weather which has nothing to do with the damp conditions which Rory has benefitted from in three of his four tournament wins this year.

"McIlroy was assisted at Wentworth by the damp conditions which allowed him to fire off those breathtaking drives like darts into a sofa."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/go...pionship-to-end-emotional-week-on-a-high.html

McGinley (and the other pros) know a thing or two.

Such an elitist private school game, this golf... :p

it maybe where you come from but in the uk there are many municipal courses some of them excellent, but it is nowhere near to being elitist anymore, 30 years ago maybe, equipent can be bought quite cheaply these days and for £500/£800 club membership, you can play every day. even a gym membership costs more, or top seat season ticket at rugby........

it maybe where you come from but in the uk there are many municipal courses some of them excellent, but it is nowhere near to being elitist anymore, 30 years ago maybe, equipent can be bought quite cheaply these days and for £500/£800 club membership, you can play every day. even a gym membership costs more, or top seat season ticket at rugby........

Whoooosh

Calm down mate, just taking the p*ss with our resident class warrior SimonG

Nah you referred to links weather which has nothing to do with the damp conditions which Rory has benefitted from in three of his four tournament wins this year.

"McIlroy was assisted at Wentworth by the damp conditions which allowed him to fire off those breathtaking drives like darts into a sofa."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/go...pionship-to-end-emotional-week-on-a-high.html

Again read what you want in to it I know what I meant and I somehow think you'd disagree regardless

Yep. Damp conditions means the player can pick a distance off the tee for par 4s (and second shots on unreachable par 5s) and hit it there, leaving a full Wedge/Sand Iron/9 Iron into the green. When its dry, you may get additional roll on your drive, but that can be unpredicatable, it can roll the ball into rough or it can leave the player "between clubs" for his approach.

Any good golfer will tell you that he'd rather have a full swing of a wedge into a green than be, say 30m closer and have to manufacture a Wedge shot, or over-swing a Sand Iron.

Latest posts