Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Pierre Spies named Bulls Super Rugby captain

Article Published: Wednesday 16 November 2011

Springboks eighth man Pierre Spies has been named as Bulls Super Rugby captain for the 2012 Super Rugby season with Wynand Olivier as his deputy.

Spies will take over from the now retired Victor Matfield, who led the side in Super Rugby for a record 75 times.

It will be a first for Spies to lead the Bulls and said that the captaincy is a massive honour.

Pierre_Spies5.jpg

"It was not such a big surprise though, as I had it in the back of my mind that I could be asked to lead the team when Victor retired."

"I was privileged in my career at the Bulls and the Springboks to play with great captains and I could certainly learn a lot from them. "

Spies, who made his Super Rugby debut in 2005 and has played for the Bulls 72 times, said he will try and lead from the front.

"I would like to try and do that. I believe a captain should lead from the front and I hope that will be something that I can do successfully.

"There are huge challenges ahead, but we are all looking forward to that. This group is younger than in previous years, but we have the same goals as those squads and that is to win the competition. "

Olivier, who was the regular vice-captain during the recent Currie Cup campaign, is also keen on his role.

"I like that responsibility. Anyone who wants to write off the Bulls because we lost players, do so at their own peril. I think we have a squad that can with the competition again. There are new faces, so there will be a challenge to make sure all share the same vision, but I see no problems in that. We have a great management team and coaching staff and they will get everyone to pull in the same direction. "

The Bulls have also named their wider training group for the 2012 season which has thirteen Springboks, two Springboks Sevens representatives and 23 players with Super Rugby experience are amongst those who are currently training with the Bulls ahead of the 2012 Super Rugby season.

The squad consists of 15 players who have won tournament medals with the squad in previous years.

Four players, Lionel Cronje and Johann Sadie (Stormers), Jano Vermaak and Wilhelm Steenkamp (Cheetahs) played for other franchises in 2011, while Willie Wepener, who played for the Lions in previous years, recently returned from French club Clermont.

Dawie Steyn (Pumas) and Daniel Adongo (Sharks) are new recruits.

The youth policy followed by the union this year also resulted in numerous junior players being involved in the squad.

This includes SA u.20 players Arno Botha, Francois Venter, Ulrich Beyers, Jean Cook (signed from Cheetahs) and Bongi Mbonambi.

Members of the u.21 Cup-winning Blue Bulls side also train with the squad, including Sampie Mastriet, Clayton Blommetjies, Adri Jacobs and Franco Mostert.

LB Lusaseni, who is contracted at the Leopards, also trains with the squad, although the Lions have first option on his eventual services.

Commenting on the pre-season training, Bulls head coach Frans Ludeke warned that hard work awaits the squad.

"We have lost some great players due to retirements and overseas contracts, but I am excited about the change of guard within the squad. We had a proud history in Super Rugby in recent times and will work very hard to emulate that," Ludeke said.

The Bulls will stay at Loftus Versfeld for pre-season training this year and not travel to George for a training camp.

The wider training group is (*indicates players not part of previous squads):

Backs: Zane Kirchner, Jurgen Visser*, Lionel Cronje*, Clayton Blommetjies*, Bjorn Basson, JJ Engelbrecht*, Sampie Mastriet*, Akona Ndungane, Ulrich Beyers*, Adri Jacobs*, Wynand Olivier, Johann Sadie*, Francois Venter*, Louis Fouche*, Morne Steyn, Francois Hougaard, Ruan Snyman, Jano Vermaak*.

Forwards: Pierre Spies (C), CJ Stander, Arno Botha*, Gerrit-Jan van Velze, Daniel Adonga*, Jean Cook*, Dewald Potgieter, Jacques Potgieter*, Jono Ross*, Warwick Tecklenburg*, Deon Stegmann, Juandre Kruger, Mthunzi Mabeta, Wilhelm Steenkamp, Flip van der Merwe, LB Lusaseni*, Cornell Hess*, Franco Mostert*, Werner Kruger, Rossouw de Klerk, Frik Kirsten, Dean Greyling, Morne Mellett, Dawie Steyn*, Chiliboy Ralepelle, Willie Wepener*, Robbie Coetzee*, Bongi Mbonambi*.

source: Superxv.com

Not sure if I agree with Spies as captain. He tends to fall off in pressure games, which you can't do as a captain.

I am still bummed the Bulls got Adongo. :(

On the bright side, at least this announcement means we will not have to face Arno Botha and CJ Stander as much!

This was a big surprize to me, as I thought that Chilliboy was the frontrunner for the job. But I guess they went for someone who made the starting 15 more than others...

Look, I have been to a lot of functions where Pierre was a guest speaker or motivational speaker, the guy has some clear Leadership skills and he can motivate! Maybe this is just the push he needs to stand up and move up a gear.

I'm looking forward to this young Bulls squad for next year...

I wouldn't have thought he'd be a good captain - but I guess you'd know more heineken!

Latest posts