• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Piri Weepu to join Blues

Unfortunetly they are building from scratch...with low quality materials. I could understand it if the Hurricanes had attracted and kept players within their recruitment provinces. Adam Whitelock, Luke Whitelock, Sam Whitelock, Robert Fruean, Zac Guildford (meh), Israel Dagg etc, etc. All of our depth has been lost to other provinces, and now all of our top players are also going. We're pretty much going to be the Connacht of New Zealand.

Fair enough, but they will be able to use their budget properly as the high paid players have all left. The Cheetahs had a very good second part of the season with their bench players. (To compare apples with grapefruits).

I reckon a franchise such as the Canes will be able to attract new, young decent players.

I'm sticking with the Hurricanes. Just hope they resign Hosea Gear and Cory Jane. Even if they don't, I'll continue supporting them. I'm giving Hammett two seasons to get the Hurricanes a spot in the semi-finals though, as it seems pretty clear he has butchered relationships with all current international and senior players. No Schwalger, Hore, Tialata, Weepu, Cruden, Nonu. Looking like Cory Jane is getting ready to leave, and Hosea Gear still hasn't signed a new contract with the Hurricanes...On top of that, Conrad Smith is off of his contract next year. I am not at all happy.

Hosea Gear was down in Dunedin several weeks ago meeting with Highlanders management, and I'd assume they have offered him a contract. He may be tempted to take it too, as it will allow him to link up with Jamie Joseph who coached him with Wellington / NZ Maori (and the chance to get away from Hammett....). I'm sure idea of playing almost 50% of the matches in a covered Stadium will be attractive too for someone like Gear, who thrives in dry conditions. I sounds like Andrew Hore is all but signed for the Highlanders as well :)

Like many have said Matthewson must be ******.
Why on earth would you switch allegiances. You're meant to stick with your team through thick and thin.

By the sounds of it Weepu has been signed primarily to play 10, so it should not affect Mathewson's gametime too much. Weepu is a great signing for the Blues - though he hasn't played that much at 10, he has always looked comfortable when playing there. He will certainly be a step up from Stephen Brett! Having a quality option like Weepu at 10 will mean they can gradually introduce Gareth Anscombe to Super Rugby, initially with 20 minute bursts from the bench.

I think now is a good time for Taranaki to join the Waikato Super 15 team, 3 hour drive is close than wellington, might actually get a game played in New Plymouth and no Hammett

kinda interesting move. I honeslty dont see Weepu wanting to play a lot of time at 10, from my understanding he has said he will play some 10 some 9 but too much time at 10 will compromise his chances for All Black selection.

Heck if Jane goes to the Chiefs and Gear to the highlanders... Will Conrad Smith stay? There wont be much left. At least hammett will have a clean canvas to work with....

Just seems like it was a bad idea to rush Hammett into a big job like that. He's got it very wrong so far and the few mistakes have caused the whole lot to come down like a house of cards.

Can't wait for the first blues vs. canes game next year. Having Nonu & Weepu is going to bring a lot of public support to the blues as well.

kinda interesting move. I honeslty dont see Weepu wanting to play a lot of time at 10, from my understanding he has said he will play some 10 some 9 but too much time at 10 will compromise his chances for All Black selection.

Heck if Jane goes to the Chiefs and Gear to the highlanders... Will Conrad Smith stay? There wont be much left. At least hammett will have a clean canvas to work with....

Just seems like it was a bad idea to rush Hammett into a big job like that. He's got it very wrong so far and the few mistakes have caused the whole lot to come down like a house of cards.

Can't wait for the first blues vs. canes game next year. Having Nonu & Weepu is going to bring a lot of public support to the blues as well.

As I've said, he's currently already contracted through till 2012. After that he may decide to leave, maybe with a one year extension with another franchise. Either way, it may just mean that Victor Vito will be the only player with any All Black experience going into 2013.

I'm sticking with the Hurricanes. Just hope they resign Hosea Gear and Cory Jane. Even if they don't, I'll continue supporting them. I'm giving Hammett two seasons to get the Hurricanes a spot in the semi-finals though, as it seems pretty clear he has butchered relationships with all current international and senior players. No Schwalger, Hore, Tialata, Weepu, Cruden, Nonu. Looking like Cory Jane is getting ready to leave, and Hosea Gear still hasn't signed a new contract with the Hurricanes...On top of that, Conrad Smith is off of his contract next year. I am not at all happy.

Good on ya. I will still be going to the games too. I'm not happy either; I think it's incredible how you can annoy so many senior players. Nonu's and Hore's behavior may have been unsatisfactory but if he had good man management skills then the exodus would not be happening. I reckon we might keep Jane after all he is a Hutt boy through and through and he does have a young family.

Every team has it's up and downs. Leaving all the senior players out will create some opportunities to attract promising youngsters and build something for the future.

The problem is the Hurricanes are not a good environment to develop younger players. To develop a young player you want to have experienced players around them so that there is leadership in the team and people to turn to. It also means that players will get thrown in the deep end. I love watching young talent come through the country and I think that Perenara, Barett, Taylor, Leiua, Ngatai and Savea all have a lot of talent. The problem is that as you can see with many players they do not suddenly turn into stars. Freuan, Blyendall and Savea are three players who have looked good at the junior level but have taken time to develop. For instance, I think Anscombe has looked below average this season and is not ready to lead a super rugby franchise which is why Weepu is such a good signing.

Are the Blues still after SBW? I would have gone after Cory Jane instead.
Do the Blues have any room to secure SBW still now that Weepu is there?

Latest posts