• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Piri Weepu to seek release

M

melon

It was reported today in The Daily Telegraph that Piri Weepu will seek a release from his current Super 14 contract to pursue a career in Rugby League. This comes about from Weepu missing out on the All Blacks RWC 30 man squad.

Apparently Weepu trained with the NRL team Newcastle Knights back in January and enjoyed tasting the 13 man code again after playing it as junior. Also, he has frequently let it be known that he posesses a desire to emulate his brother Billy who had a stint with the Manly Sea Eagles.

However it is being said that the NRZU/Super 14 team won't grant him a release because of all the players that are departing at the conclusion of the RWC.

What do you guys think? Should they release him? Do you think Piri would excel at Rugby League? #9, #7, #6?

Not the Most Clued Up Story.

His Contract expires after the RWC according to the Dominion.

Not the Most Clued Up Story.

His Contract expires after the RWC according to the Dominion. [/b]

What are you talking about.. the Telegraph ALWAYS researches what they report and NEVER make sensationalist headlines...

haha..

Cant believe Weepu has not been selected to go, he is a multi talented player with the mongrel needed to be a great. If he defects to League it would be a great loss unless he joins the warriors which would be highly unlikely.

yeah it was pretty sad aye, but him wanting a release makes it seem like he's a sookie buba imo

i am interested to see how he goes in league tho, make a great number 9 without the speed.

Weepu would be well advised to be patient as he may still end up part of the squad as he can cover 9 and 10 positions for any injuries. It is a long way between now and the start of the cup with training sessions.

No big loss if he does go. Leonard & Ellis are still in their early 20s and are the future of the All Blacks after the RWC.

Remember, Jimmy Cowan is still with Southland....another young gun Alby Mathewson is doing his time with Wellington and Chris Smylie & Toby Morland with Otago.

there is also talk of nonu seeking a release as well.

they have both been talked to by the NZRL for the all golds later in the year as well.

yeah it was pretty sad aye, but him wanting a release makes it seem like he's a sookie buba imo
[/b]

:lol: LOL but true though or maybe he wants to hurt New Zealand rugby? :blink: Weepu should stay in rugby because I strongly think he can make it back to the top after Kelleher leaves as soon as the World Cup is over, so that makes the NZRU' decision as the right way to turn to.

If he somehow takes up Rugby League, then I think he would possibly fill in the absent spot left by Kiwi Great Stacey Jones.

if nonu and weepu go on the all golds tour be interesting to see how they go, they have the physical presence for it.

I still don't get why nonu and weepu didn't make the list aside from having names straight out of pokemon.

I hope uncle Henry gets a clue and ends up taking Weepu cause hes had way more experience at international level than Leonard and Ellis combined so how can you not consider him.

When was the last time Ellis played for the All Blacks and how long was he on for I think its stupid taking him over Weepu. Well see what happens during the Air New Zealand Cup maybe Weepu will show Henry and co what they're gonna leave behind.

Well see what happens during the Air New Zealand Cup maybe Weepu will show Henry and co what they're gonna leave behind.
[/b]

Yeah I hope so too. It's hard to get over this 'Ellis over Weepu' thing. Unbelievable.

We'll i hope he doesn't leave but i really can't blame him if he does. The AB selectors screwed weepu over imo. I hope Kelleher doesn't get injured, because it might be a coin toss whether the reserve half backs will perform at international level.

good luck to him in league, i think he was given a good opportunity to proove himself in the tri nations and he really did not

Latest posts