• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pitch invasion

i agree to some extent that the rules need to be enforced so that we can protect the players... but comon sense says let the boy get away with it...no harm was done... and no doubt the pitch security will have got a bollocking...and the boy and his parents would have got a warning from the police about running on the field... you would doubt he would do it again...

taking points off a club for pitch invasions would have to be the worst idea ever... what happens if a bunch of chelsea fans decide to turn up to old traford dressed up as united supporters and run on the pitch and cause havoc... it could happen...

That Would be just Funny to see some Cockney's Dressing Up like Mancs
referee_gallagher.jpg

haha you brits and your ridiculous rules
[/b]

Everton has a long tradition of good natured pitch invasion...the black and white picture I posted further up os of Eddie Francis Cavanagh, he ran on the pitch at Wembley in 1966 after we'd come from goals down to win the cup final 3-2.

We've had 2 near things with getting relegated out or the league (a pretty big thing for a club like Everton who've spent more time in the top division than any other). Both times we've survived on the final day by the slenderest of margins, in those circumstances it was inevitable that there was going to be a pitch invasion. There were hundreds of people hugging each other and singing with sheer joy and relief.

_90988_everton_fans_celebrate_after_avoiding_relegation_10_05_98_allsport_300.jpg

I love the idea of a good natured pitch invasion. It shouldn't happen but it's understandable. If they are wholly without malice then I've got no problem with it...people forget that until the footy violence of the 80s it was the people's game. Nowadays people lament that the game is so far removed from the people, the players are portrayed as uncaring millionaires. On Sunday a little kid who didn't know any better ran the length of the stadium to hug his hero.

Charlie....yer a miserable arl get. ;)

SB

Tim Howard probably told him to "f*&k off" what with his small "problem". And besides the biggest crime that I have seen on this thread isn't the kid running onto the pitch but rather the two posters that referred to the goalkeeper as a "goalie". This isn't hockey - it's football and the proper term is goalkeeper or 'keeper.

Don't forget it!

Tim Howard probably told him to "f*&k off" what with his small "problem". And besides the biggest crime that I have seen on this thread isn't the kid running onto the pitch but rather the two posters that referred to the goalkeeper as a "goalie". This isn't hockey - it's football and the proper term is goalkeeper or 'keeper.

Don't forget it!
[/b]

Nonsense. 'Goalie' is perfectly acceptable and has been in use since I was a nipper.

Thats the problem with society nowadays, no respect for the rules. :rolleyes:
[/b]

You mean like demanding your team gain entry into the Champions League despite not meeting the originally agreed entrance criteria? Or demanding special dispensation to be allowed to sign a player who's already played for two clubs that season? Or demanding that hundreds of years of tradition be set aside to allow a post-humous knighthood for your ex-manager?

I don't belieeeeve it! ;)

seriously though I thought it was a heart-warming moment....as long as it hasn't set a precedent I'll take it on it's merits.

I can fully see where your coming from... as I have said previously, but there are these laws in place.

On Point one, if your team had won the Champions League and didn't qualify to play in it next season, you would of done the same, as the Champions should have the right to defend their ***le...

On Point Two, The Rule is pointless and ridiculous, yes they shouldn't be allowed to play for loads of different clubs, but every country has different starts for seasons so therefore a system like that doesn't work...

On Point Three, No Other Manager has won the amount of trophies that Sir Bob Paisley has won, and it annoys me Slur Alex got knighted for 1 European Cup... Sir Bob had another 2 on him.. Also that was back in the time when knighthoods weren't a farce like they are now, any Tom Dick or Alex is given them now...

Yeah, but knighthoods are explicitly a recognition of a living persons achievements, Okay Sir Alex got one. However they hand them out more these days.

So this is a just reason for a new precedent to be set just for a football manager, even I see no reason for this.

On the topic at hand, pitch invasions have their place, I think it is justified to acknowledge your heroes after promotion or safety from relegation.

Choose from these

330stewardandfanuglyscenespic_208514.jpg

or

_41644040_edgely.jpg

cufc_20060506_stockport_manager_470x309.jpg

I think you can tell the difference between a celebration and a pitch 'invasion', just look in the term invasion. I hardly think thousands of fans are going to be stopped from celebrating.

BM

I can fully see where your coming from... as I have said previously, but there are these laws in place.

On Point one, if your team had won the Champions League and didn't qualify to play in it next season, you would of done the same, as the Champions should have the right to defend their ***le...

On Point Two, The Rule is pointless and ridiculous, yes they shouldn't be allowed to play for loads of different clubs, but every country has different starts for seasons so therefore a system like that doesn't work...

On Point Three, No Other Manager has won the amount of trophies that Sir Bob Paisley has won, and it annoys me Slur Alex got knighted for 1 European Cup... Sir Bob had another 2 on him.. Also that was back in the time when knighthoods weren't a farce like they are now, any Tom Dick or Alex is given them now...
[/b]

so really what your saying is rules are there for a reason but if its in your clubs interest your justified in getting around them...

there was no rule in place saying that the defending CL champion HAS to defend there ***le. but common sense was used and liverpool were given a chace.

i hope common sense is used in this case too..

i agree with you there mate...

the security should be given a good rev up for sure... perhaps the club could be fined by the FA over it.

i just hope the club dont try and recoup the costs from the kids family.

i remember when i was a kid i was allowed to run onto the fields after canterbury or the all blacks played. i ran on and got autographs of my fav players, merts/marshall/matson/meyerhofler/brooke/raindel etc etc (even lomu at his first ab match against france at lancaster park in 97, i am proud of that), but when i found out we wearnt allowed onto the park i was disapointed as i couldnt see my heroes anymore, couldnt get close anymore.

though i merts would always come out and sign augographs by the fences, and take mine and my sisters programs into the locker rooms for the boys to sign. We would have to wait til he finished everyone else first though.

the security should be given a good rev up for sure... perhaps the club could be fined by the FA over it.
[/b]

We tried that....No-one ran on the pitch that day let me assure you!

r122896_397005.jpg

_42449027_ab.jpg

_42449027_ab.jpg

"Ifithadnabeenfer Rocky 5 I wouldn't have to do this!"

If Liverpool had an invader on the pitch there'd be calls to have us thrown out of Europe! There were from the Blues in work over Bellamy's golf club celebration!

If Liverpool had an invader on the pitch there'd be calls to have us thrown out of Europe! There were from the Blues in work over Bellamy's golf club celebration!
[/b]

I doubt that actually occurred.

You did have an invader on the pitch (actually while the game was in progress) during the CL semi against Chelsea....no-one said nothing. That was the least of your worries....remember poo-gate?

"Ifithadnabeenfer Rocky 5 I wouldn't have to do this!"[/b]

What's Cilla & Tarby's excuse then?

If I recall we were fined for the incident in the Chelsea semi.
[/b]

Meh, then I assume we'll get at least a dressing down. Doesn't change the fact that the little kid running on to get to his fave player was a lovely, genuine moment....all to infrequent in the modern game.

SB

Latest posts