Planet Rugby Team of the Year

Big Ewis

Hall of Fame
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Toulon
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,9817_8340706,00.html

15 Israel Dagg (Crusaders & New Zealand) - The majority ruled on this one as Israel Dagg gets in ahead of Leigh Halfpenny after another superb year for franchise and country. Dagg keeps on producing at full-back and while Halfpenny was strong throughout, the Kiwi was a touch better.
Bubbling under: Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues & Wales)

14 Bryan Habana (Stormers & South Africa) - After a moment of deliberation, we went for Bryan Habana over JP Pietersen. In truth it was a simple decision after the veteran's outstanding Rugby Championship campaign when he scored the International Rugby Players' Association's Try of 2012.
Bubbling under: JP Pietersen (Sharks & South Africa)

13 Conrad Smith (Hurricanes & New Zealand) - This was arguably the quickest decision we made in the selection process. Conrad Smith was superb all year, with his leadership of a young Hurricanes team given no hope in pre-season something that has to be hailed.
Bubbling under: Jonathan Davies (Scarlets & Wales)

12 Sonny Bill Williams (Chiefs & New Zealand) - There was a whisper at PR questioning whether the Chiefs would have won the Super Rugby ***le without SBW? There is no doubt, however, that he was developing into a fine centre, with six months of action enough for us.
Bubbling under: Wesley Fofana (Clermont & France)

11 Julian Savea (Hurricanes & New Zealand) - Nine tries in your debut Super Rugby year, twelve scores in your first nine internationals for your country: 2012 has been quiet a season for Julian Savea. He would be the first to credit others, such as Conrad Smith, but there is no doubting that the 'Canes finisher has the tools to become a frequent scorer for years to come. We feel applause must go to AB coach Steve Hansen too for managing him well.
Bubbling under: Gonzalo Camacho (Exeter & Argentina)

10 Dan Carter (Crusaders & New Zealand) - An average game by his standards is deemed an great day at the office by so many others. While Dan Carter wasn't around all year, when he was rivals struggled to cope as he bounced back from an injury riddled 2011 strongly.
Bubbling under: Fred Michalak (Sharks & France)

9 Ruan Pienaar (Ulster & South Africa) - Maybe seen as a surprise call by some but the performances of Ruan Pienaar for Ulster during both their Heineken Cup and RaboDirect PRO12 campaigns were excellent. He saved his province plenty of times with key goal-kicks but it was the calming presence he provided that sees him get in ahead of Aaron Smith. It is also worth noting the difference he made when taking over at nine from Francois Hougaard.
Bubbling under: Aaron Smith (Highlanders & New Zealand)

8 Kieran Read (Crusaders & New Zealand) - There was a two for two tie at PR HQ before deciding votes came from other contributors that meant Kieran Read got the nod ahead of Louis Picamoles. Picamoles has been a carrying machine all year for Toulouse and France but Read just possesses rugby intelligence in spades to go alongside many man-of-the-match efforts, which means he takes the eight spot. He was a superb leader in Canterbury.
Bubbling under: Louis Picamoles (Toulouse & France)

7 Richie McCaw (Crusaders & New Zealand) - 65% of our readers went with him, 100% of us did the same. Richie McCaw put in yet another impressive campaign for his country, but may be left disappointed at drawing with Australia before losing to England. Over his six months off though he may realise just what he has achieved in the past year or so as World Cup triumph was followed by a 100th Test victory with the All Blacks. Rest up, Richie.
Bubbling under: Francois Louw (Bath & South Africa)

6 Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe (Toulon & Argentina) - While Dan Lydiate enjoyed an exceptional Six Nations, Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe was a joy to watch in the Rugby Championship. The 31-year-old Toulon back-row seamlessly switched between blindside and eight all year and those efforts from August to October were a sight to behold as he combined a high tackle count with line-out takes and general classy play around the field.
Bubbling under: Dan Lydiate (Dragons & Wales)

5 Nathan Sharpe (Western Force & Australia) - An extended international career due to the absence of James Horwill meant that "Sharpey" gave it one final slog in the Gold jersey this year. It paid off for both player and coach as Nathan Sharpe left everything on the field for his country and thus won his second John Eales Medal before calling it day. On a side note, a mention must go to Ireland's Donnacha Ryan who continues to grow into a solid lock.
Bubbling under: Donnacha Ryan (Munster & Ireland)

4 Eben Etzebeth (Stormers & South Africa) - Debut seasons like this usually do not come from players in the engine room. Eben Etzebeth bucked that trend this year as the Western Province native's physicality was a feature in both Super Rugby and Springbok rugby. One concern is that he may take the Bakkies Botha hard man similarities too seriously and thus pick himself up a reputation, which we hope is not the case. A real talent has emerged.
Bubbling under: Sam Whitelock (Crusaders & New Zealand)

3 Census Johnston (Toulouse & Samoa) - We went for two islanders as our props this year but it wasn't a unanimous decision at tighthead. Dan Cole continues to mature into an outstanding front-rower but we can't remember Toulouse's pack ever being in big trouble in 2012 and Census Johnston was one reason why. His efforts for an in-form Samoan side were also admirable so the votes went the way of the 31-year-old, who's pushing 140 kgs.
Bubbling under: Dan Cole (Leicester & England)

2 Rory Best (Ulster and Ireland) - His form seldom dipped when wearing either white or green as Rory Best shone for Ireland and Ulster during the Heineken Cup, PRO12, Six Nations and June series. Even in a losing squad in New Zealand, Kiwi pundits noted his performances for his country so we felt he pips Adriaan Strauss. Massive credit to the Bok though as his all-action style meant Bismarck du Plessis' absence wasn't noticeable.
Bubbling under: Adriaan Strauss (Cheetahs & South Africa)

1 Sona Taumalolo (Chiefs & Tonga) - Again a tough selection decision as Cian Healy made the British & Irish Lions loosehead jersey his own this past year after great shifts for Leinster and Ireland. However, there was a Tongan making serious noise in the southern hemisphere in 2012 as Sona Taumalolo rivalled wingers in the Super Rugby try charts and also was strong in the dark arts. Tonga truly is blessed in the loosehead prop department.
Bubbling under: Cian Healy (Leinster & Ireland)

----------------

Reading this and scrolling down, I thought "oh wait, this is the SH Team of the year then" and then I finally saw R.Best...
Do you agree with this ?

The list looks like an AllBlacks side that naturalized/bought a bok or two and then one guy from Europe and some Samoan...

Frans Louw ahead of Hooper is a crime.

I don't know what Cruden has done worse than Carter this year, for what he showed from february to november, he has to be there.

Fofana vs. SBW is a tough call... I'd go with Fofana for he played all the 2012 international season. And to cut NZers there :D

Pretty much agree with all that team. Only changes I would make would be the outstanding Kahn Fotuali'i who always seems to produce his best with Samoa ahead of Ruan Pienaar, and a different loosehead to the overrated Sona Taumalolo. Also Lydiate should perhaps be there considering Lobbe played mostly at 8.

It shows that people are just looking at his 2 metre tries Taumalolo does, and forgetting the rest of his game. I watched all of Tonga's matches this November, and he was destroyed at the scrum by Cittadini and Castrogiovanni and conceded some stupid penalties, yet he scored a try so some who obviously didn't actually watch that Tonga Italy match but saw the scorers had him in their team of the week. No way has he been the best loosehead this year, I would say one of Andrea Lo Cicero, Cian Healy or maybe Rodrigo Roncero would have been better options.

Fotoali'i > Pienaar
A Strauss > Best

Didn't watch Johnson all that closely but he msut have played well to get in ahead of Cole at 3.

I'm assuming that Taumololo and SBW are there based in large part on their awesome form for the Chiefs? But that begs the question why isn't Cruden ahead of Carter..

Fotoali'i > Pienaar
A Strauss > Best

Didn't watch Johnson all that closely but he msut have played well to get in ahead of Cole at 3.

I'm assuming that Taumololo and SBW are there based in large part on their awesome form for the Chiefs? But that begs the question why isn't Cruden ahead of Carter..

Here's a couple of clips to show how good Johnston has been this year. And that's just with Samoa, if club form is considered here he has also been a top pro in the Top 14.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RjlXlcnghf4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ouS7YcCEIO8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Pretty much agree with all that team. Only changes I would make would be the outstanding Kahn Fotuali'i who always seems to produce his best with Samoa ahead of Ruan Pienaar, and a different loosehead to the overrated Sona Taumalolo. Also Lydiate should perhaps be there considering Lobbe played mostly at 8.

It shows that people are just looking at his 2 metre tries Taumalolo does, and forgetting the rest of his game. I watched all of Tonga's matches this November, and he was destroyed at the scrum by Cittadini and Castrogiovanni and conceded some stupid penalties, yet he scored a try so some who obviously didn't actually watch that Tonga Italy match but saw the scorers had him in their team of the week. No way has he been the best loosehead this year, I would say one of Andrea Lo Cicero, Cian Healy or maybe Rodrigo Roncero would have been better options.

I'd happily give it to Taumalolo. He was a beast for the Chiefs. Yes he scored a lot of tries (probably the best player in the world from 2m out), but what impressed me more was that he scrummaged well (Chiefs had a very good scrum with him and Ben Tamifuna on - most wouldn't have expected Taumalolo to usurp both Toby Smith and Ben Afiaki). What I thought was actually most impressive was his work around the field - he tackled like a mad man and was easily the best player in the Chiefs semi-final win against the Crusaders.

He's conceded three penalties in his last five tests (2 against Italy and 1 against Scotland- not the worst record for a front rower.

Pretty happy with the team to be fair - don't know if Pienaar's international form has been anywhere near Kahn Fotoali'i's, but the Ulster men love him.

Last edited:
I'd happily give it to Taumalolo. He was a beast for the Chiefs. Yes he scored a lot of tries (probably the best player in the world from 2m out), but what impressed me more was that he scrummaged well (Chiefs had a very good scrum with him and Ben Tamifuna on - most wouldn't have expected Taumalolo to usurp both Toby Smith and Ben Afiaki). What I thought was actually most impressive was his work around the field - he tackled like a mad man and was easily the best player in the Chiefs semi-final win against the Crusaders.

He's conceded three penalties in his last five tests (2 against Italy and 1 against Scotland- not the worst record for a front rower.

It was more the manner of the penalties that was stupid though as he lost his cool against Italy and started shoving match with them as he allowed Castro to wind him up. And he certainly didn't scrummage well when I saw him with Tonga, was destroyed by Italy and Lorenzo Cittadini and conceded penalties and eventually a penalty try which basically cost them the match as they lost 28-23, whilst he was even shoved about by Euan Murray against Scotland as well.

He obviously did well for the Chiefs, but not so for Tonga. I haven't seen much of his scrummaging ability yet with Perpignan either. Not been good enough for the second half of the year or in international to be in this team.

interesting comments...
It seems Taumalolo is the only one on the list who really seems to be there in a biased way, according to psychic.
I did watch that ITA TON game, and I agree with you on the scrums...and it may have been him on those foolish mistakes overall too...

P.S.: never got the chance to get some advice on this: on that Samoan try over France, what's with the retarded running ? It was an extremely strange moment live, and still is here on YT. Is it a taunt, a try celebration...he's having a heart-attack, a stroke...?? (not sayin that coz it's on France lol, but look at the guy GO !!)

Tuamalolo absolutely shredded the super15. Definitely one of 2012's in form props.

Anyway, good on you Sharpie. Should be made team captain!

McCaw for player of the year and Etzebeth for best newbie.

Pienaar being there is really strange to me as I actually don't want him in the Bok squad and thought he wasn't really all that great in his primary duties at 9 for us. Then again all Bok supporters will be comparing our newer 9's with FdP at his best and the older guys amongst us with Van der Westhuizen as well. What we actually need with our young 10's is a less traditional Bok 9 with less game management and a bigger focus on service (speed and accuracy) and providing some danger around the ruck area.

Last edited:
Speaking of Planet Rugby has anyone noticed that their forum is in a state of virtual collapse, apparently they've banned all non rugby topics but than have mostly failed to follow up on it. There are hardly any actual rugby topics going and the format is still that old horrible disorganized mess. What a shambles.

Yeah...Pienaar. Never considered him to be the best IN THE WHOLE ENTIRE WORLD at any position he may have played...

P.S.: did you know his last name comes from a french slang word for wine "pinard" - but was deformed (phonetically/and or written) and became "pienaar".

Speaking of Planet Rugby has anyone noticed that their forum is in a state of virtual collapse, apparently they've banned all non rugby topics but than have mostly failed to follow up on it. There are hardly any actual rugby topics going and the format is still that old horrible disorganized mess. What a shambles.

PR was always the 4chan of the rugby world.

Etzebeth definitely best young lock at the mo.

Kind of surpirsed to see SBW as the top 12 in the world. Maybe NZ, but not the R.oW.

I can't tell if my dislike of the man clouds my judgement of him, or if SBW really is one of the most overrated players to grace the game? I mean, I know he wasn't terrible by any means, but I never saw anything from him to suggest he was better than Nonu. Not that I think Nonu had a year to be selected as the best in his position, but still, there must be better out there?

Yeah...Pienaar. Never considered him to be the best IN THE WHOLE ENTIRE WORLD at any position he may have played...

P.S.: did you know his last name comes from a french slang word for wine "pinard" - but was deformed (phonetically/and or written) and became "pienaar".

I heard that somewhere, yeah. Actually a ton of Afrikaans surnames are French in origin with most of them 'Dutchified' as the VOC essentially banned the French Huguenots from dealing in their home language.

PR was always the 4chan of the rugby world.

I have more respect for 4chan than PR TBH. keo.co.za is by far the worst though.

We have a ton of French surnames in South Africa. Most famous in Rugby must be du Plessis, but others like Le Roux, Du Preez, Botha and de Villiers also derive from the French language

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

I can't tell if my dislike of the man clouds my judgement of him, or if SBW really is one of the most overrated players to grace the game? I mean, I know he wasn't terrible by any means, but I never saw anything from him to suggest he was better than Nonu. Not that I think Nonu had a year to be selected as the best in his position, but still, there must be better out there?

Watch the Chiefs 2012 highlights - I was very much against $BW when he first arrived, but he was absolutely fantastic for the Chiefs.

Latest posts