• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Played It?

Originally posted by Ensta@Feb 11 2006, 02:58 AM
Jimmy44 is it possible, if you have the time, to have a screenshot of Stade Toulousain kits ?
Thanks
Sorry mate I'm back at work now! Went home for a quick game. ask any other Q's if you want but remember I only played for one hour so more about gameplay

Originally posted by jimmy44@Feb 11 2006, 02:35 AM
Ok just got back from an hour on the game - this mini review is based on the PC version of the game.

When I first loaded the game up, I noticed how different the menu screens were and it really felt like a brand new game! However this illusion was blown out the water when I had my first game, Newcastle V Carlisle on pro difficulty. As Locks said this game really is rugby 2005 all over again but when he said that i didn't realise the extent to which thia is true!

Apart from a few graphical improvement the game look and plays identically. Same look to the passing etc and from what I can see exactly the same animations. I may be imagining thing but it seems the PC version is more like rugby 2005 than the PS2 version. Put it this way Locks videos look much smoother and better than the PC version in my opinion.

Anyway one of the first changes I noticed was the speed of the game. It really is slower and when you play club games or crap teams you'll notice this even more! International is quicker and feels about right, if not a little slow.

As far as the AI goes - I quickly went up to Elite difficulty and played England V Italy. There are still huge gaps in the defence, irrespective of the difficulty level and there are many more turn overs. In fact every time you make a break and get just a little bit isolated BOOM its a turn over. I tried to counter this with hands in ruck but for some reason the button doesn't work. For PC its hold down button 10 for kill the ball and tap for hands in ruck. The kill the balls work but when you tap the button NOTHING HAPPENS! This is really annoying.

the offload is ok but very automatic. For some reason you don't feel in control. Its a simple case of tap the button, but god only know who will get the ball! There definitely needs to be more manual control here.

Oh yea there is still the bug with classic view where the ball goes in the wrong direction. classic 2 view is not perfect but I think the best one. Side view looks the best but I still hate it because you can never see the gaps.

As far as game play is concerned its probaly too early to tell but I don't feel its enough of a leap from rugby 2005. Its essentially the same game with many of the annoyances and flaws remaining like diagonal running, leaky defence. However as I said I need to give the game more play time. Also it may be that the PS2 version is better. I'm going to get the PS2 version and compare them tonight.

Kicking is defintely better and the most noticable improvement to be honest. There are also many morer penalties given away by the AI and the sound is improved although most of the commentary is the same as last year.

Don't get me wrong, this is still quite a good game, but I guess like always my expectations were sky high! Once they come down to earth maybe I will feel different?

:)
Other things I noticed.....

sometimes when you have a man on the outside and try and pass a long ball out to him, instead it just drops to the ground instead??? rugby 2005 had the same problem I think.

There is definitely a very different look and feel between stadiums - my first game was in Cardiff and I have to say I felt really underwelmed by the look of the grass, graphics etc.

However my next game in Vancouver everything just looked and felt SO much better. The sun was shining for a start and the graphics looked much brighter and more vibrant!!

The long pass definitely looks different than rugby 2005 - when you ran sideways and performed a long pass in 05 the ball would shoot out to the player unrealistically quickly. In this years version the ball travels more slowly and looks better overall. However if you run straight up the field and do a long pass it performs a rather strange loopy pass, far less flat. Therefore it seems you can adjust the flight of the ball by the way you pass it. I don't know if this is intended though?

you can make more ground with forwards around the fringes of the ruck in 06 - there seems to be more miss tackles which opens the game up a bit.

Although still quite poor in defence, the AI is definitely much better with the ball in hand and performs far fewer set plays than last year. The Ai seems much more aware of what is going on around it, and will react to certain situations very cleverly. This makes it more unpredictable and difficult to defend. I also recon the imbalance between defending and attacking this will lead to higher scoring games.

Many of the faces look the same as last year. e.g Johnny Wilkenson looks exactly the same

The Ball physics is much improved and completely unpredictable. On a couple of occasions I have booted the ball and it has rebounded of a player and bounced all over the place leaving players scrambling desparately to win the ball back. great stuff and adds another element to the game!

Originally posted by yurda01@Feb 10 2006, 11:45 PM
Ok jimmy i try with lox....locksley my hero i need desperately your help. Thanks a lot jimmy for your help and for the compliment. Cheers.
If you're on Broadband, then PM me and I'll send them over to you via MSN

Originally posted by C A Iversen+Feb 10 2006, 06:54 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-esoj
@Feb 10 2006, 04:54 PM
oh yes good question. I too want to know about the world league.

Then we shall compare it to the almighty RL2 !!! [/b]
indeed. this world league seems to be getting there finally after what 3-4 attempts. seems to have alot of stuff from fifa incorperated into it from what I have been reading.

OK after a few more hours play I am really getting into this game and loving it more and more - my main worry about the game after playing a few matches on elite was the leaky defensive AI, and the number of gaps . However I have noticed the defensive abilties of a team outlined in the stats has a much bigger impact in rugby 06 than 05. For instance the NZ maoris have a good attacking stats yet poor defence and you can really see this on the park. They are slow to line up and do not mark men effectively. However come up against a team like Austrtalia and there are precious few holes or gaps in the defence. This is very realistic and true to life, and also determins how you play a game. I.e tactical kicking or spread it wide.

To illustrate the differcne this can make I thrashed the Maoris 38 - 0 but could only muster a 7-35 loss against the Aussies whos defence was awesome! I also got beaten 10-27 by Argentina whos are also good in defence. Australia A however have poor defence but great attack hence a very high scoring game 27-33!! I also hade a great game as Wasps V Warhatas 10 -7.

The big spoiler for me is that classic view really does not work and this is by far my favorite view. However I am trying my best to get used to classic 2 view.

Anyway so far so good. If it wasn't for the classic view I would be over the moon with this game.

P.s yes I have tried side view and still hate it!

p.p.s I LOVE the replays! They are madden style and to be honest I could sit there for hours just watching the replays of a big hit or great break away try!

Originally posted by jimmy44@Feb 11 2006, 06:46 PM
OK after a few more hours play I am really getting into this game and loving it more and more - my main worry about the game after playing a few matches on elite was the leaky defensive AI, and the number of gaps . However I have noticed the defensive abilties of a team outlined in the stats has a much bigger impact in rugby 06 than 05. For instance the NZ maoris have a good attacking stats yet poor defence and you can really see this on the park. They are slow to line up and do not mark men effectively. However come up against a team like Austrtalia and there are precious few holes or gaps in the defence. This is very realistic and true to life, and also determins how you play a game. I.e tactical kicking or spread it wide.

To illustrate the differcne this can make I thrashed the Maoris 38 - 0 but could only muster a 7-35 loss against the Aussies whos defence was awesome! I also got beaten 10-27 by Argentina whos are also good in defence. Australia A however have poor defence but great attack hence a very high scoring game 27-33!! I also hade a great game as Wasps V Warhatas 10 -7.

The big spoiler for me is that classic view really does not work and this is by far my favorite view. However I am trying my best to get used to classic 2 view.

Anyway so far so good. If it wasn't for the classic view I would be over the moon with this game.

P.s yes I have tried side view and still hate it!

p.p.s I LOVE the replays! They are madden style and to be honest I could sit there for hours just watching the replays of a big hit or great break away try!
Jimmy I can feel your pain as I know how upset I would be if the sideview was crap. Keep the stories coming I enjoy hearing about games.

Originally posted by lewseys got it covered@Feb 11 2006, 09:42 PM
i had it for a day, any questions, please ask.
are the team stats effected by the players?

no, some times i loose 5 yards cos ov amazing defense and some times if u run the right line ur bruning off to score a scotcher.

I think there are a few too many turnovers, you lose the ball far too easily. Plus I lose a lot of scrums against the head which is pretty irritating....but so far I'm having a lot of fun.

Originally posted by Muse_Cubed@Feb 11 2006, 04:18 PM
I think there are a few too many turnovers, you lose the ball far too easily. Plus I lose a lot of scrums against the head which is pretty irritating....but so far I'm having a lot of fun.
Totally agree mate - the scrums are the biggest pain in the arse.

What skill levels are you guys playing on? I'm not noticing any of this on normal (the middle setting)...

Originally posted by toup@Feb 11 2006, 07:43 PM
What skill levels are you guys playing on? I'm not noticing any of this on normal (the middle setting)...
Normal...

Hmmm... format? I'm playing Normal on Xbox, and I suppose it depends what teams are involved... I've been playing a lot of world league mode and have really worked on putting together a good back row. Suppose scrums are a bit hit and mis but I only lose on my put in very occasionally indeed

Just a quick update, it seems to be better playing the game on Elite mode multiplayer, seems to go that extra tackle or 2 before getting turned.

I would like to see an option to choose how often turnovers occur though, hopefully this will be included in 2007.

Latest posts