• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Player's rating *to have fun*

Christian10

Academy Player
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Annecy
Hi mate. I come to propose a "game" within our community: a top ten of the best players in the world at present in the 15 position of the pitch. You can complete your choices or just choose a position, I would really love to hear your opinions and see if we agree.

Best loosehead prop:
Best hooker:
Best tightheaad prop:
Lock 4:
Lock 5:
Blindside flanker:
Openside flanker:
N8:
SH:
FH:
Left Wing:
Inside Centre:
Outside Centre:
Right Wing:
Fullback:

And the winners are...

Don't know about ten for each position but I'll give you three (apart from lock and the wings where I'll just give you four for the two places) or I'll be here all night...

LH: Mako Vunipola, Steven Kitshoff, Karl Tu'inukuafe (I know he's pretty green but I'm a big fan)
Hooker: Malcolm Marx, Dane Coles, Codie Taylor
TH: Taidgh Furlong, Owen Franks, Tomos Francis (yes I know he is considered a bit of a joke but he was frikkin awesome during the the last Autumn Internationals and 6N and he has won me over)
Locks (4 players for this one): AWJ, Brodie Retallick, Franco Mostert, George Kruis... go on I'll give you a fifth James Ryan
BS: Peter O'Mahoney, Josh Navidi, Peter-Steph du Toit (they seem to get their 6's & 7's the wrong way around in SA)
8: Billy Vunipola, Kieran Read, Duane Vermeulen
SH: Conor Murray (when he's on form), Faf de Klerk, Aaron Smith
OH: Johnny Sexton (see Conor Murray), Beauden Barrett, Damien Mackenzie (& Dan Biggar at the 60 minute mark)
IC: Sonny Bill Williams, Manu Tuilagi, Hadleigh Parkes
OC: Jonathan Davies, Garry Ringrose, Jack Goodhue
11 & 14: Jacob Stockdale, Josh Adams, Johnny May, Reiko Ioane
FB: Liam Williams, Ben Smith, Rob Kearney

There are probably a lot of worthy players I've left off but this means literally nothing so don't sweat it if I've left your favourite player off.

Last edited:
Don't know about ten for each position but I'll give you three (apart from lock and the wings where I'll just give you four for the two places) or I'll be here all night...

LH: Mako Vunipola, Steven Kitshoff, Karl Tu'inukuafe (I know he's pretty green but I'm a big fan)
TH: Taidgh Furlong, Owen Franks, Tomos Francis (yes I know he is considered a bit of a joke but he was frikkin awesome during the the last Autumn Internationals and 6N and he has won me over)
Locks (4 players for this one): AWJ, Brodie Retallick, Franco Mostert, George Kruis... go on I'll give you a fifth James Ryan
BS: Peter O'Mahoney, Josh Navidi, Peter-Steph du Toit (they seem to get their 6's & 7's the wrong way around in SA)
OH: Johnny Sexton (see Conor Murray), Beauden Barrett, Damien Mackenzie (& Dan Biggar at the 60 minute mark)

There are probably a lot of worthy players I've left off but this means literally nothing so don't sweat it if I've left your favourite player off.

Id agree with almost all of that and dont really know enough about SH rugby atm to disagree. Kruis over Itoje im not sure on. Kruise has stepped up in a big way and showed his worth overtaking launchbury. But id still have itoje as No 1 lock. Hes give away a few stupid pens but i do think he brings alot. Personal preference i know i just wondered

On francais i agree he deserves to be in there he really has stepped up and showed his worth.

Id agree with almost all of that and dont really know enough about SH rugby atm to disagree. Kruis over Itoje im not sure on. Kruise has stepped up in a big way and showed his worth overtaking launchbury. But id still have itoje as No 1 lock. Hes give away a few stupid pens but i do think he brings alot. Personal preference i know i just wondered

On francais i agree he deserves to be in there he really has stepped up and showed his worth.

Yeah it was between Itoje and Kruis when I was choosing... and yes the penalties given away probably made the selection of Kruis a little easier.

You've missed out most of my favourite players. :mad::mad::mad: I'm going to hunt you down and give you a wedgie :D:D:D

You've missed out most of my favourite players. :mad::mad::mad: I'm going to hunt you down and give you a wedgie :D:D:D

I'd imagine you are thinking Kolisi, Pollard, Dyantyi, Kolbe and le Roux... all of which are more than worthy of inclusion in this thread.

I'd imagine you are thinking Kolisi, Pollard, Dyantyi, Kolbe and le Roux... all of which are more than worthy of inclusion in this thread.
*Off Topic*
Taking advantage of the fact that you are Welsh, I would like to ask you if you are encouraged to choose the Wales team in the world cup. At least to the liking of you. Sorry my bad english.
Greetings from Argentina.

*Off Topic*
Taking advantage of the fact that you are Welsh, I would like to ask you if you are encouraged to choose the Wales team in the world cup. At least to the liking of you. Sorry my bad english.
Greetings from Argentina.

I think it is hard to look past New Zealand atm... I would then have Wales, Ireland, England and South Africa with 'roughly' an equal share of the second favourites spot.

On a specifically Welsh front... it's the best position we have ever found ourselves in going into a World Cup but there won't be any counting of chickens on that basis.

How is the feeling within Argentina and their chances in regards to the coming World Cup?

I've based this off of the peak of a players' form over the last year or so, so guys like Murray and Sexton will still top their respective positions:

Special mentions in brackets and in no particular order.

I've also rushed this, so please don't crucify me for forgetting players.

1. Vunipola, Kitschoff, Healy (Moody, Tu'inukuafe, Evans)
2. Marx, Taylor, McInally (Coles, George, Owens)
3. Furlong, Franks, Koch (Sinckler, Tupou, Francis)
4. Retallick, Itoje, Barrett (Skelton, Beirne, Etzebeth)
5. AWJ, Ryan, Whitelock (Kruis, Nakarawa, Snyman, Mostert, Gray)
6. O'Mahony, Matera, PSDT (Wilson, Squire, Navidi, Barclay)
7. Savea, Pocock, Curry (Leavy, Hooper, Watson, Kolisi, Yato)
8. Vunipola, Vermeulen, Read (Faletau, Stander, Mafi, Naisarani)
9. Murray, de Klerk, Smith (Genia, Davies, Reinach)
10. Sexton, Farrell, Barrett (Mo'unga, Biggar, Russell, McKenzie)
11. Ioane, Stockdale, May (Adams, Bridge, Dyantyi, Moyano, Boffeli)
12. Laumape, Toomua, Johnson (Beale, Tuilagi, SBW, Parkes, Aki, Henshaw, Crotty, de Allende)
13. Radradra, Davies, Ringrose (Jones, Slade, Goodhue, Kerevi, Kuridrani)
14. Kolbe, Cordero, Nowell (Earls, Thomas, Penaud, Koroibete)
15. Smith, Williams, Folau (Didn't want to put him but as a rugby player, he is undeniably world class) (le Roux, Hogg, Kearney, Daly, DHP)

I've based this off of the peak of a players' form over the last year or so, so guys like Murray and Sexton will still top their respective positions:

Special mentions in brackets and in no particular order.

I've also rushed this, so please don't crucify me for forgetting players.

1. Vunipola, Kitschoff, Healy (Moody, Tu'inukuafe, Evans)
2. Marx, Taylor, McInally (Coles, George, Owens)
3. Furlong, Franks, Koch (Sinckler, Tupou, Francis)
4. Retallick, Itoje, Barrett (Skelton, Beirne, Etzebeth)
5. AWJ, Ryan, Whitelock (Kruis, Nakarawa, Snyman, Mostert, Gray)
6. O'Mahony, Matera, PSDT (Wilson, Squire, Navidi, Barclay)
7. Savea, Pocock, Curry (Leavy, Hooper, Watson, Kolisi, Yato)
8. Vunipola, Vermeulen, Read (Faletau, Stander, Mafi, Naisarani)
9. Murray, de Klerk, Smith (Genia, Davies, Reinach)
10. Sexton, Farrell, Barrett (Mo'unga, Biggar, Russell, McKenzie)
11. Ioane, Stockdale, May (Adams, Bridge, Dyantyi, Moyano, Boffeli)
12. Laumape, Toomua, Johnson (Beale, Tuilagi, SBW, Parkes, Aki, Henshaw, Crotty, de Allende)
13. Radradra, Davies, Ringrose (Jones, Slade, Goodhue, Kerevi, Kuridrani)
14. Kolbe, Cordero, Nowell (Earls, Thomas, Penaud, Koroibete)
15. Smith, Williams, Folau (Didn't want to put him but as a rugby player, he is undeniably world class) (le Roux, Hogg, Kearney, Daly, DHP)

This is a good list and I'm glad you included some Fijians in there. If you're talking top 10, there's a case to be made for a few yet.

1. Marler (still a top loosehead even if he's no longer playing test rugby)
2. Creevy / Best
3. Bamba (raw, but one of he few highlights of France's 6N campaign)
4. Lawes
5. Launchbury / Coleman
6. Kaino / Iturria
7. Cane
8. Isa / Moriarty
9. Dupont
10. Ford
11. Imhoff
13. Joseph
14. Watson
15. J. Barrett

I couldn't think of another 12 really worthy of mentioning ...

I think it is hard to look past New Zealand atm... I would then have Wales, Ireland, England and South Africa with 'roughly' an equal share of the second favourites spot.

On a specifically Welsh front... it's the best position we have ever found ourselves in going into a World Cup but there won't be any counting of chickens on that basis.

How is the feeling within Argentina and their chances in regards to the coming World Cup?
TBH, I believe that being in the semifinals once again is the biggest challenge after some years of generational changes. It will not be easy because we understand that Wales, Ireland and England have grown compared to the last WC. Since it is not the main sport in our country, a good part of it just takes attention once the World Cup has started. Still, there is a great culture of rugby in a sector of society and in much of our territory, not only in Buenos Aires but in many provinces of north and northwest Argentina, which is why many people expect it. Since the arrival of Agustin Pichot, a high performance plan was implemented in Argentine clubs to compete in a similar way to that used by the great powers. It has copied certain rules of the countries of the southern hemisphere and the creation of the Argentine franchise in Super Rugby has given us greater competitiveness. Unfortunately, he copied the New Zealand rule that all his players must play in franchises there, and to be honest we are not even close to having a player base as wide as them. This rule was repealed for the next world cup although the idea is to take only two or three players from European teams. IMO, we do not have players of the class of Figallo, Ramiro Herrera, Imhoff, Facundo Isa and Cordero within the franchise as to give us the luxury of doing without them, although I doubt they summon all of them (maybe Figallo and Isa, Herrera with some luck). Even so we have young players who will speak and in the next generations there is also talent and this professionalization will pay off in the near future.

TBH, I believe that being in the semifinals once again is the biggest challenge after some years of generational changes. It will not be easy because we understand that Wales, Ireland and England have grown compared to the last WC. Since it is not the main sport in our country, a good part of it just takes attention once the World Cup has started. Still, there is a great culture of rugby in a sector of society and in much of our territory, not only in Buenos Aires but in many provinces of north and northwest Argentina, which is why many people expect it. Since the arrival of Agustin Pichot, a high performance plan was implemented in Argentine clubs to compete in a similar way to that used by the great powers. It has copied certain rules of the countries of the southern hemisphere and the creation of the Argentine franchise in Super Rugby has given us greater competitiveness. Unfortunately, he copied the New Zealand rule that all his players must play in franchises there, and to be honest we are not even close to having a player base as wide as them. This rule was repealed for the next world cup although the idea is to take only two or three players from European teams. IMO, we do not have players of the class of Figallo, Ramiro Herrera, Imhoff, Facundo Isa and Cordero within the franchise as to give us the luxury of doing without them, although I doubt they summon all of them (maybe Figallo and Isa, Herrera with some luck). Even so we have young players who will speak and in the next generations there is also talent and this professionalization will pay off in the near future.

Sounds like a lot of good work is being done... as well as rugby seeming to make some progress in other South American countries, which in the long run will only increase interest in the whole of Argentina. I do think that you could do with two super rugby franchises though... although the economics involved from both an Argentine union stand point and that of super rugby (what with them decreasing the amount of teams rather than increasing) I don't know. It's just really difficult for Argentina to build a competitive national side from one franchise.

Sounds like a lot of good work is being done... as well as rugby seeming to make some progress in other South American countries, which in the long run will only increase interest in the whole of Argentina. I do think that you could do with two super rugby franchises though... although the economics involved from both an Argentine union stand point and that of super rugby (what with them decreasing the amount of teams rather than increasing) I don't know. It's just really difficult for Argentina to build a competitive national side from one franchise.
Argentina can't do without its great players who play in Europe. Maybe in a few years the structure will allow that, but not now. However, names like Santiago Medrano, Santiago Carreras, Domingo Miotti or Mayco Vivas will make noise soon.

Argentina can't do without its great players who play in Europe. Maybe in a few years the structure will allow that, but not now. However, names like Santiago Medrano, Santiago Carreras, Domingo Miotti or Mayco Vivas will make noise soon.

Hope so Chris, rugby is a better game for a strong Argentina... and credit where credit is due they have performed above my expectations since entering the Rugby Championship and ALWAYS show up at World Cups.

Alright, like others I don't know of I'll get to 10 but I'll give it a go in every position

1: Kitschoff, Mako, Healy, Moody (honeslty not many else I can think of except many Marler, I would have had McGrath right up there until recently though)
2: Taylor, Marx, Coles, George, McInally, Creevy
3: Furlong, Franks, Sinckler I'm tired but I can't think of anyone else right now
4/5: Retallick, AWJ, Ryan, Whitelock, Itoje, Etzebeth, Nakarawa, Kruis, Gray, Henderson (honorary mention for Scott Fardy here)
6/7/8: I'm just going to make a list of 10 backrows because I'm not bothered doing it by position so: Pocock, Leavy, Read, Vunipola, Curry, Faletau, Watson, Underhill, Watson, Josh Vdf

9: Murray (maybe), Faf de Klerk, Smith, Dupont and honestly you could probably finish off this list with French players, they're absolutely stacked there
10: Sexton, Barrett, Farrell, Russell, Mo'unga, Pollard, Sanchez
11/14: Ioane, Stockdale, Kolbe are the standouts right now for me, there are a lot of very good players after them that I'm to tired to list. (Honorable mention for James Lowe)
12/13 (again not bothered to separate them): Ringrose, Davies, Tualagi, Radradra, Goodhue, Henshaw, Toomua, Crotty, Slade, Laumape, I'm going to put Daly here as well because I think he should be in here somewhere but not at 15
15: Smith, Williams, Hogg, McKenzie, Minozzi, Kearney, Le Roux, Halfpenny

To be honest I forgot that Australia, SA and Argentina (and every Tier 2 country) exist for a lot of this so sorry for that to anyone who's wondering why I hate your country. I forgot about 'exiles' who are playing abroad for most of this as well, I'm sure there are at least a few who are good enough for this (that don't play for Leinster anyway)

Alright, like others I don't know of I'll get to 10 but I'll give it a go in every position

1: Kitschoff, Mako, Healy, Moody (honeslty not many else I can think of except many Marler, I would have had McGrath right up there until recently though)
2: Taylor, Marx, Coles, George, McInally, Creevy
3: Furlong, Franks, Sinckler I'm tired but I can't think of anyone else right now
4/5: Retallick, AWJ, Ryan, Whitelock, Itoje, Etzebeth, Nakarawa, Kruis, Gray, Henderson (honorary mention for Scott Fardy here)
6/7/8: I'm just going to make a list of 10 backrows because I'm not bothered doing it by position so: Pocock, Leavy, Read, Vunipola, Curry, Faletau, Watson, Underhill, Watson, Josh Vdf

9: Murray (maybe), Faf de Klerk, Smith, Dupont and honestly you could probably finish off this list with French players, they're absolutely stacked there
10: Sexton, Barrett, Farrell, Russell, Mo'unga, Pollard, Sanchez
11/14: Ioane, Stockdale, Kolbe are the standouts right now for me, there are a lot of very good players after them that I'm to tired to list. (Honorable mention for James Lowe)
12/13 (again not bothered to separate them): Ringrose, Davies, Tualagi, Radradra, Goodhue, Henshaw, Toomua, Crotty, Slade, Laumape, I'm going to put Daly here as well because I think he should be in here somewhere but not at 15
15: Smith, Williams, Hogg, McKenzie, Minozzi, Kearney, Le Roux, Halfpenny

To be honest I forgot that Australia, SA and Argentina (and every Tier 2 country) exist for a lot of this so sorry for that to anyone who's wondering why I hate your country. I forgot about 'exiles' who are playing abroad for most of this as well, I'm sure there are at least a few who are good enough for this (that don't play for Leinster anyway)

Can't believe I forgot Sinkler at TH... he'd probably be my number 1 in that position atm too :rolleyes:...

Hmmm, this is not on order, it is based on how they play or I believe they could play at test level, assumes players aren't injured, and it is biased towards the players I know about. I don't watch club/ provincial rugby in Europe so can't add many of those players. Special apologies to French, Italian, and island players overseas.

1. Healy, Vunipola, Karl, kitschoff, moody, sio, beast, McGrath, evans, herrera
2. Coles, Taylor, mbonambi, creevy, Bismarck, Britz, marx, george, owens, polata nau
3. Franks, furlong, sinkler, lomax, Tongan Thor, lee, malherbe, laulala, kepu, tuungafasi
4. Retallick, gray, etzebeth, nakarawa, ryan, snyman, Whitelock, Barrett , du Toit, Romano
5. As above
6. Moriarty, Du Toit, omahoney, Barrett, Lydiate, pocock, curry, luatua, ardron, vermeulen
7. Savea, hooper, cane, Navidi, tipuric, can der flier, pocock, kolisi, kwagga, Leavy. Apologies O'Brien (too hard to know if he's still good) and that bleached blonde guy that plays for the lions
8. Vermeuken, Savea, pocock, faletau, Vunipola, mafi, read, navidi, whitely, isa
9. Healy, Smith , Perenara, de Klerk, Genia, youngs, Kerr Barlow, hall, te baldi, dupont
10. Mo'unga, farrell, sexton, foley, cruden, Barrett, jantjies, pollard, sanchez, McKenzie
11. Ione, May, b Smith, nadolo, dyantyi, stocktake, Lowe, Naholo, Hogg, nkosi
12. Leinert brown, Ngatai, Crotty, Laumape, Farrell, sbw, nonu, Beale, kerevi, lealifano
13. Leinert brown, Davies, ngatai, kriel, Crotty, goodhue, Thompson, ring rose, tuilagi, slade
14. Same as 11
15. B Smith, b. Barret, Williams, Le roux, McKenzie, Hogg, Haylett-Petty, Mo'unga, daley, nanai

Last edited:
Mine:

1: Kitshoff; Mako Vunipola; Healy; Moody; Tu'inukuafe; Evans; Mtawarira; Sio.
2: Marx; Codie Taylor; Coles; Creevy; Best; George; Owens; McInally; Mbonami.
3: Furlong; Franks; Sinckler; Francis; Tupou; Bamba; Herrera; Figallo; Samson Lee; Malherbe.

SR (I choose 20 IMO the 20 top in SecondRow): Retallick; AWJ; Kruis; Etzebeth; Whitelock; Nakarawa; James Ryan; Gray; Itoje; Mostert; Snyman; Scott Barrett; Lavanini; Iturria; Ian Henderson; Lawes; Launchbury; Skelton; Beirne; Petti.

FL (Same as SR): Pocock; Leavy; Curry; O'Mahony; Du Toit; Navidi; Hooper; Cane; Ardie Savea; Kolisi; H. Watson; Van der Flier; Squire; Matera; Lydiate; Tipuric; Yato; Mark Wilson; Underhill; Kwagga Smith.

N8: Read; Billy Vunipola; Vermeulen; Faletau; Isa; Moriarty; Mafi; Stander; Naisarani; Whiteley.

9: De Klerk; Aaron Smith; Dupont; C.Murray; Genia; G. Davies; Reinach; Youngs; Cruden; TJ Perenara.

10: Beauden Barrett; Sexton; Farrell; Mo'unga; Nico Sanchez; Pollard; Russell; Biggar; Foley; Ford.

11 & 14 (Same as FL): Ioane; Stockdale; May; Kolbe; Josh Adams; Dyantyi; James Lowe; Teddy Thomas; Imhoff; Earls; Cordero; Penaud; Naholo; Koroibete; Ramiro Moyano; Nadolo; Delguy; Nkosi; Nowell; Julian Savea.

12: SBW; Crotty, Laumape; Henshaw; H.Parkes; Toomua; Beale; Kerevi; De Allende; Esterhuizen.

13: Tuilagi; Goodhue; J.Davies; Ringrose; Radradra; Kuridrani; J.Joseph; Kriel; Am; Huw Jones.

FB: McKenzie; Ben Smith; Liam Williams; Folau; Kearney; W.Le Roux; Hogg; Slade; Haylett-Petty; Boffelli.

Last edited:
Hmmm, this is not on order, it is based on how they play or I believe they could play at test level, assumes players aren't injured, and it is biased towards the players I know about. I don't watch club/ provincial rugby in Europe so can't add many of those players. Special apologies to French, Italian, and island players overseas.

1. Healy, Vunipola, Karl, kitschoff, moody, sio, beast, McGrath, evans, herrera
2. Coles, Taylor, mbonambi, creevy, Bismarck, Britz, marx, george, owens, polata nau
3. Franks, furlong, sinkler, lomax, Tongan Thor, lee, malherbe, laulala, kepu, tuungafasi
4. Retallick, gray, etzebeth, nakarawa, ryan, snyman, Whitelock, Barrett , du Toit, Romano
5. As above
6. Moriarty, Du Toit, omahoney, Barrett, Lydiate, pocock, curry, luatua, ardron, vermeulen
7. Savea, hooper, cane, Navidi, tipuric, can der flier, pocock, kolisi, kwagga, Leavy. Apologies O'Brien (too hard to know if he's still good) and that bleached blonde guy that plays for the lions
8. Vermeuken, Savea, pocock, faletau, Vunipola, mafi, read, navidi, whitely, isa
9. Healy, Smith , Perenara, de Klerk, Genia, youngs, Kerr Barlow, hall, te baldi, dupont
10. Mo'unga, farrell, sexton, foley, cruden, Barrett, jantjies, pollard, sanchez, McKenzie
11. Ione, May, b Smith, nadolo, dyantyi, stocktake, Lowe, Naholo, Hogg, nkosi
12. Leinert brown, Ngatai, Crotty, Laumape, Farrell, sbw, nonu, Beale, kerevi, lealifano
13. Leinert brown, Davies, ngatai, kriel, Crotty, goodhue, Thompson, ring rose, tuilagi, slade
14. Same as 11
15. B Smith, b. Barret, Williams, Le roux, McKenzie, Hogg, Haylett-Petty, Mo'unga, daley, nanai
Aagh, I have Herrera as a loose head, oops. Now I neeed a tenth loosehead. I'll go with nyakane, he can play loosehead. Also, at 9 I meant Murray when I wrote Healy. All Irish look the same. And I forgot about Thomas, so I'd like to swap out Hogg for Thomas at wing.

Last edited:

Latest posts