• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Playing Union for the first time

OllyK6

Academy Player
Hi, I've basically played League all my life but want to play some Union during the off season because I've struggled a bit for form this year and want to keep playing. A few of our players play the league season and then start to union season a few weeks after. In League I've always played as a 6, stand-off. It's basically a second receiver role for those who don't know League.

Was just curious as to where I might play. I'm about 173cm or 174cm, 5 feet 8inches in height so I'm not tall by any means, in Union the players seem to be pretty tall so I'm a bit unsure how I fit into that. I weigh around 90kg . I think my main strength is my decison making with the ball, as a second receiver I can spot space pretty well and I'm quite vocal so I try and make it easier for the half back inside me by communicating to them where the ball needs to go, when I want it and when it's a better option for them to play short. I think I'm good at picking the right option when the ball comes out to me whether it be a short pass or a longer pass to the winger. I'd like to say I've got good footwork and can side step especially off my left foot and I'm confident with my passing as well. I've probably over done that left foot step in the past. I'm pretty elusive I'd say. I prefer having a bit more of a floating role and having space to work in.

I don't think I've got what it takes to play as a 9 or 10, I think I'm a bit stocky and slow for a 9 and I'm not sure I've got the composure or experience to play 10. Obviously line outs and scrums are alien to me. Kicking as well would be a bit of a weakness, I kick a bit but not regularly. I'm trying to get faster as well, I've got decent acceleration but I'm not likely to go 100 metres and score.

Obviously it's not easy to say but I've tried to give some detailed info so it's a bit easier. Really appreciate any replies!

Last edited:
What position do you play in league?

Sound like a distributing centre TBH (think Kyle Eastmond)

Australia have a bit of a history of playing ball playing 12s (often who can also play at 10)
Matt Giteau 5'10 and 85kg, for example - and one of the best Wallaby centres they've ever had.

There's a few off the top of my head, Giteau as already been said, Gordon D'Arcy and Brian O'Driscoll are listed as 5'10, Crotty and Laumape aren't overly tall either who have represented NZ and are current players. Sure there are plenty more but that's off the top of my head and that's top level rugby. Bundee Aki of Ireland is stocky too.

Latest posts