• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pocock arrested - ARU warning

Why do you, every single time, always throw in that someones team lost. Its ridiculously petty

He hates Aussies so must be funny when he looks League test matches if he's interested in the League. It isn't an attack, you're always on the defensive, relax man

He hates Aussies so must be funny when he looks League test matches if he's interested in the League. It isn't an attack, you're always on the defensive, relax man
No man, you are doing what we've all called you out on doing and told you to quit it. If someone dislikes something, you drag their country losing in something to it. It's childish, if you want to post junk like that go to Planet Rugby.

No man, you are doing what we've all called you out on doing and told you to quit it. If someone dislikes something, you drag their country losing in something to it. It's childish, if you want to post junk like that go to Planet Rugby.

This is not the case, because I'm not even a League supporter. It wasn't a personal attack, it was only a joke.

Relax maaaaan, Wales beat Boks, relaaaaaaax

100% - the ARU have nothing to do with this; they're his employer so it isn't any of their business.

In the free world, people are entitled to their political opinion without fear or favour; freedom to protest is a cornerstone of Democracy

I'm quite sure that any contract can be terminated if you are arrested. The difference in this case is that Pocock was not just protesting - he actually broke the law. I'm sure if he protested in another way (twitter post, joined a march, donated money) then there would be no sanction.

I'm quite sure that any contract can be terminated if you are arrested. The difference in this case is that Pocock was not just protesting - he actually broke the law. I'm sure if he protested in another way (twitter post, joined a march, donated money) then there would be no sanction.

Well, it depends actually.

In South Africa, protest action is something that happens on a large scale very often. We seperate between sanctioned and unsanctioned protest action. If the protest action is sanctioned (informing all parties beforehand, as well as the police and local government) then you are protected by law. You will not be paid if you're not at work, but your employer can't dismiss or take disciplinary action against you.

As for breaking the law, there are also factors to consider, an employer can't just go an fire you because of a criminal record. The type of act committed and convicted plays a role. for instance, it would be acceptable if an accountant was fired if he has a criminal record for committing fraud, but not for culpable homicide.

With this said, Australia's labour laws could be vastly different from South Africa's and all this would be of no concern whatsoever. An employer has however the right to take action, if the employee has publicly done something which could harm or affect the reputation of his employer, especially if it is public knowledge that the employee is work for that establishment.

I don't think you actually understand the concept of freedom of thought/speech or political opinion. Pocock is free to have whatever political opinions he wants but if those conflict with his job his employer has every right to terminate his contract. If I choose to go to a political protest that is my right, if I miss work because of that political protest or because of any legal problems stemming from it, then my employer can terminate my contract.

Fair enough but...

Even if don't miss work but my political beliefs in any way reflect poorly upon the organization I work for (let's say just as an example that I'm at the front of an Anti-abortion protest and there are media images of me with an inflammatory sign), they can terminate me as the front man for the company if they fear public backlash. That's not an infringement on my freedoms it's merely a consequence of certain actions.

If you try that as an employer in NZ, you will be the defendant in a wrongful dismissal lawsuit faster than you can say "settle out of court".

The only way an employer could fire you in a situation such as this is if your contract had a specific clause that said you could not take part in such a protest. Very difficult to do here as the NZ Employment Relations Act is quite restrictive about what can and cannot be contracted in or out, for example, in normal circumstances, freedom of political expression cannot be contracted out.

I hope there was a specific clause in there. Bloody left wing hippie.

This makes sense why he and his family didn't defect to SA. They would never have fit in. We love our coal. we use it on a daily basis for our braai. in fact I'm going to braai tonight using coal to char my delicious steaks.

This makes sense why he and his family didn't defect to SA. They would never have fit in. We love our coal. we use it on a daily basis for our braai. in fact I'm going to braai tonight using coal to char my delicious steaks.

Nah, here in the Cape we do our part for the ecosystem, charring our steaks with firewood from alien species, mostly those awful looking bloody Aussie 'Bluegums' and 'Port Jacksons' although 'Rooikrans' does taste better...

Pardon the ignorance but what's the big deal anyway? Is it an environmental thing?

Last edited:
Nah, here in the Cape we do our part for the ecosystem, charring our steaks with firewood from alien species, mostly those awful looking bloody Aussie 'Bluegums' and 'Port Jacksons' although 'Rooikrans' does taste better...

Typical Capies!! Using the cheap foreign kak!

nothing beats a hardekool!!

Fair enough but...

If you try that as an employer in NZ, you will be the defendant in a wrongful dismissal lawsuit faster than you can say "settle out of court".

The only way an employer could fire you in a situation such as this is if your contract had a specific clause that said you could not take part in such a protest. Very difficult to do here as the NZ Employment Relations Act is quite restrictive about what can and cannot be contracted in or out, for example, in normal circumstances, freedom of political expression cannot be contracted out.

I'd have to check my contract but I'm sure that would be included somewhere

Heineken, I'm afraid I'm going to have to possibly ban you for going off topic..

Back on topic is; is Pocock a vegan by any chance? Thought the hippie 'ethos' might explain the horrid run of injuries; not getting enough calcium maybe.

I don't think you actually understand the concept of freedom of thought/speech or political opinion. Pocock is free to have whatever political opinions he wants but if those conflict with his job his employer has every right to terminate his contract. If I choose to go to a political protest that is my right, if I miss work because of that political protest or because of any legal problems stemming from it, then my employer can terminate my contract.

Even if don't miss work but my political beliefs in any way reflect poorly upon the organization I work for (let's say just as an example that I'm at the front of an Anti-abortion protest and there are media images of me with an inflammatory sign), they can terminate me as the front man for the company if they fear public backlash. That's not an infringement on my freedoms it's merely a consequence of certain actions.

fair play to him.
just a celeb using his status to add weight to the argument.
if more of us did or were able to take direct action then the world would be a better place..
i seem to remember that in the 1960,s the tropical forests in northern oz were harvested.
a demonstrator was killed but no changes made, now the forest has been replaced by desert.

Latest posts