• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pool A - General discussion

If playing away is a problem for SA, then their passports should be confiscated. Otherwise, just have the RWC played in Africa everytime - distance and time-zone wise it's the best half-way point for everybody.

Away form is not a factor.

Agree with dumbo,that about right for me to. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Away form is not a factor.
[/b]

Exactly, the ozzies have won 2 world cups, away from home.

And proceeded in losing their own world cup, at home, to the english.

Gonna be interesting to see what the US can conjure up against Samoa and Tonga, but like someone said, a snowflakes chance in hell that they are going to do anything against SA and England.

Since we're (*hopefully*) going to have a first coice team with a well rested Percy at the WC, I'm going for SA first with England second.

You can't really compare the Aussies to the South Africans..
No one said the Australians had poor away form..

Sth. Africans have shown year in year out that they're not the best away from home. 3N's and Super14 are a proof on this.

If you're a betting man, and South Africa are in there, a smart one would take all factors into account.

In saying that, England aren't good enough at the moment to topple the South Africans, so they should take 1st place in this pool. After that, its all on. Although they would have the easier road to the finals imo

I'm not saying they're poor away from home. I'm just saying they're not at their best away from home. A subtle difference.

While to go yet - think it depends on injuries to certain England players on how well we can perform in this group. Will definitely need some experience when coming up against the smaller teams.

It feels like such a long way away!! I want it to start now. The cricket world cup is a load of balls :wall:

I expect the matches for both SA and England v samoa and tonga will be close, as certain key players may not play to avoid injury from some of the most violent tacklers in the game.

It's a lot to put on a 19 year old, but if the pack can keep things level then Steyn is the key to SA's success.

There's pressure to put him in at 10, and he's getting some experience there in the S14. But he creates so much uncertainty for the defence when he's roaming across the back three in attack. I'd put him at 15, with the usual kind of drop kicker at 10, and leave Montgomerie on the bench.

I expect the matches for both SA and England v samoa and tonga will be close, as certain key players may not play to avoid injury from some of the most violent tacklers in the game. [/b]

If England do rest some key players, then they'd want to be careful. Samoa in particular with a full strength side could go very close to beating them, and with England without some key players and not playing at their best they could very well be knocked off. But I doubt it will happen.

<div class='quotemain'> I expect the matches for both SA and England v samoa and tonga will be close, as certain key players may not play to avoid injury from some of the most violent tacklers in the game. [/b]

If England do rest some key players, then they'd want to be careful. Samoa in particular with a full strength side could go very close to beating them, and with England without some key players and not playing at their best they could very well be knocked off. But I doubt it will happen.
[/b][/quote]

Samoa will have a decent chance against England if England fail to front up on in the contact area against a very physical side. Samoa won't touch SA though, the sprngboks have the physicality to cope with all samoa can throw at them.

Easy...

South Africa
Samoa
Tonga
USA
England

Thats about right isn't it?
Sounds good to me. :mellow:
[/b]

What will it take for the USA to get out of their pool and when will it take place?
rugger99

It will take either a few carefully fired Surface to Air Missiles or an epidemic of somekind which the USA Players are immune to for them to get out of this pool, there best (And probably only) chance of chalking up at least some bonus points is against the Tongans.

South Africa and England for this pool, The Island Nations are going to do diddily squat in this tournament.

Judging by the game yesterday and SA's away form in the NH I think England have a chance if they are all 100% fit!

As I understand it whoever wins Pool A will have a reasonably easy route through.,...so it's a crucial game for both sides

Judging by the game yesterday and SA's away form in the NH I think England have a chance if they are all 100% fit! [/b]

It would all depend if England can get an effective tight 5 together and a backline which relies on more then Wilkinson kicking for touch.

However, regardless of whoever wins the group, Pool A will not produce the tournament winners.

I think we will turn it around, there was a lot of positives that come out of this tour...

England showed last year that they can beat Sth. Africa when not playing in Sth. Africa.

The loser of this pool will most likely face Australia in the Quarters, and if they pass that hurdle, the All Blacks will be waiting for them in the semi's. (Assuming that the All Blacks and the Aussies win their matches to that point :D)

Samoans to give the English another scare at the World Cup. Samoa are showing great signs in the Pacific Nations Cup, huge improvements for them. I wouldn't say they got thrashed by the JABs nor the Aussie A this year.

Latest posts