• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pool A - General discussion

Samoa v SA today prooved to me quite convincingly that won't be the case.

However if Ashton plays that horrible Italian c*** in the backrow, go Samoa!

England will smash the Samoa scrum. But if the islanders get the chance to play it loose there could be trouble.

Bring on Lawrence Del'ollio. I enjoy players who bug the **** out of everyone.

My Predictions

South Africa: Should run away with ease at the top of the group. South Africas form so far this year has been most impressive and I wouldnt be suprised to see them go all the way and win the whole tournemant.

Predicted Group Position : 1st

Predicted Tournament Finish : Semi Final/Final

Players to watch : Bryan Habana, Victor Matfield, Bakkies Botha, Fourie Du Preez

England: Can push South Africa for top spot but will have to turn things around quickly after their disastorous tour of the republic recently. Mind you the squad they sent was nowhere near full strength and Im sure when they are they can top the South Africans on their day. Samoa may give them a scare but are unlikely to top the reigning champs.

Predicted Group Position : 2nd

Predicted Tournament Finish : Quarter Final/ Semi Final

Players to watch : Jonny Wilkinson, Jason Robinson

Samoa: Though unlikely is possible on their day to potentialy to push England for a quarter finals berth as shown in the last world cup. Should be one of the games of the pool stages when the play their pacific rivals Tonga, the first time two Pacific Islands will come to clash on the World Cup stage. The game should be a cracker !

Predicted Group Position : 3rd

Predicted Tournament Finish : Pool Stages/Quarter Final

Players to watch : Alesena Tuilagi, Brian Lima, Seilala Mapasua, Cencus Johnston

Tonga: Not much is expected of the Ikale Tahi but a good squad on paper should see them push both Samoa and the USA. Will get demolished by the likes of South Africa and England.

Predicted Group Position : 4th

Predicted Tournament Finish : Pool Stages

Player to watch : Nili Latu, Hale T-Pole, Seti Kiole, Lesley Vainkolo (if he decides to represent Tonga)

USA: Can be competitve with Tonga and maybe Samoa. Will need monster efforts to stay under 50+ point Defeats at the hands of South Africa and England.

Predicted Group Position : 5th

Predicted Tournament Finish : Pool Stages

Player to watch : Mike Hercus

England have been pretty dire for the last 3 years, i can definitley see them missing out on a quarter final spot if samoa show up. You got two of the hardest hitting rugby teams in the group and i can see quite a hefty injury list if S.A and England aren't carefull, they're not exactly over flowing with strength in depth in the key positions. [/b]

The depth part you got spot on, and with Jake having is so called buddies in the bok team who knows. Os is long gone for one, we need players for more than 20 min on the field and one must do more than just scrum! :wall:

Christin my good man, I have to disagree about Sir Os beeing too old. I remember Sir Clive also taking a lot of flak over picking his so-called favourites for RWC2003. The thing is, a real quality rugby player`s like a good red wine- they just mature beautifully with age.

And Sir Os is the diesel tractor of SA rugby. He just needs about 350,000 kms on the clock to really get warmed up. Sir Os had his doubters when Jake picked him for the Boks in 2004. Questions were even raised in parlaiment about him. But he`s never let the Boks down. Not even when he was "gatvol" back in 1997.....

South Africa will beat England, but I think England should have no problems with the rest.

Would be great to see Samoa get through, realy yough draw though. If they were in NZ's pool they would be in

This is a weird one, and my fingers are trying to stop me typing it but ............ I actually think England will top the group. I think they will catch the Boks cold and while I'm not predicting England will go much further in the tournament, looking at the schedule I think England are more then in with a shout in that one off match.

(Incidently, I think the Boks will beat the Aussies in the quarters and proceed through to the Semi's anyway.)

Would be great to see Samoa get through, realy tough draw though. If they were in NZ's pool they would be in [/b]
Couldnt see them beating both the Italians and the Scots.

This is a weird one, and my fingers are trying to stop me typing it but ............ I actually think England will top the group. I think they will catch the Boks cold and while I'm not predicting England will go much further in the tournament, looking at the schedule I think England are more then in with a shout in that one off match.

(Incidently, I think the Boks will beat the Aussies in the quarters and proceed through to the Semi's anyway.)

<div class='quotemain'> Would be great to see Samoa get through, realy tough draw though. If they were in NZ's pool they would be in [/b]
Couldnt see them beating both the Italians and the Scots.

[/b][/quote]

Happy to type this: England are contenders.

They are the champions. They have muscle in the pack. Their midfield could be as useful as the other useless midfields (ABs and SA), and they have speed and strength in the back three.

All depends on the half backs. Their choices at #9 are weird - better to have a genetic mix of the three. But it doesn't matter, because Jonny is just eweuslyuss. Ask the SH supporters - they know what they're talking about.

Samoa have no hope - scrum is garbage.

That's why in an ideal world Flood will get the starts.

Of course we're not in an ideal world and predictable mr Ashton won't take Flood, instead opting for Wilkinson, Hodgson or the Bath-favorate, Barkley... <_<

That's why in an ideal world Flood will get the starts.

Of course we're not in an ideal world and predictable mr Ashton won't take Flood, instead opting for Wilkinson, Hodgson or the Bath-favorate, Barkley... <_<
[/b]

Why is there so much love for Toby Flood? The guy isn't ready to play international rugby, is a weak link in the midfield as has been so brutally exposed in the international appearances he has made so far. He isn't big enough, does not have enough experience at club level to take into the international arena, has shown to be a liability in defense and only has a good boot to his name at this stage of his career. He shouldn't be in the squad and should be left to build on his potential and club level.

I feel that Wilko is a lock, based largely on reputation and what he is capable of in the big-game scenario, and Hodgson deserves to go based on the fact that goal-kicking and tackling aside, he is probably the best fly half of the bunch. He directs the game well, passes superbly and is easily the best playmaking fly half in the country.

LMAO! Hodgson should be the last choice for England, jusging by the fact he has [u7]Never[/u] performerd on the international stage. I couldn't care less how good he was for Sale 2 years ago, he's nowhere near the standard required now.

Now, Wilkinson is likely to be the starting player (provided a stiff breeze doesn't blow him over and shatter his shoulder before the tournament starts) even though he's f***ing shite these days, but if you watch Flood again in a bit closer you'll see that he has a perfect pass, great vision, pace to match any winger and is a very useful defensive organiser, many of the traits Hodgson has never had (apart from maybe vision and tatical kicking) ... The only reason Flood's ever looked weak is because Newcastles pack could be out muscled by 8 schoolgirls so he doesn't get the protection he needs.

I feel that Wilko is a lock[/b]

Wilkinson is a Fly-Half, not a Lock! :p ;)

SA will win the group.

England SHOULD get runner up, but it will depend on the Ashton gameplan and the men he sticks on the field against Samoa. If England are going to lose 2 games, the 2nd will be to Samoa.

LMAO! Hodgson should be the last choice for England, jusging by the fact he has [u7]Never[/u] performerd on the international stage. I couldn't care less how good he was for Sale 2 years ago, he's nowhere near the standard required now.

Now, Wilkinson is likely to be the starting player (provided a stiff breeze doesn't blow him over and shatter his shoulder before the tournament starts) even though he's f***ing shite these days, but if you watch Flood again in a bit closer you'll see that he has a perfect pass, great vision, pace to match any winger and is a very useful defensive organiser, many of the traits Hodgson has never had (apart from maybe vision and tatical kicking) ... The only reason Flood's ever looked weak is because Newcastles pack could be out muscled by 8 schoolgirls so he doesn't get the protection he needs.

I feel that Wilko is a lock[/b]

Wilkinson is a Fly-Half, not a Lock! :p ;)
[/b]

:D Shame, it would be cool to see how long his shoulder lasts in a scrum....

IMO Flood is a weak link at international level at the moment. All of the things you mentioned look to me to show that he has enormous potential, but he is nowhere near ready for international rugby. Hodgson gets a lot of bad press because of his poor goal-kicking for England (and rightly so), but this has hidden away thye fact that he has actually played quite well.

Hodgson was probably the best Fly Half on the Lions Tour for what it's worth, impressed me alot with his play. Why Woodward didn't use him in the 2nd or 3rd tests, at least off the bench is beyond me.

Hodgson was probably the best Fly Half on the Lions Tour for what it's worth, impressed me alot with his play. Why Woodward didn't use him in the 2nd or 3rd tests, at least off the bench is beyond me. [/b]

There was no money to be made using Hodgson from the British Media (remembering this was the first Lions tour to ever make a profit for the organisers).

Funny that people mention Flood being overhyped. He has at least had a good game for England.

Shaw on the other hand has contributed sod all and yet he is still hailed by the media as some kind of saviour. For me he was the worst player in the HC final.

As for Hodgson, it's all great if it's going his way. But put him on the back foot and he crumbles - which is concerning with his defence.

Latest posts