• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pool B - General discussion

I hope Wales top this pool. Just so the All Blacks don't have to face Australia in the semi finals :p

i hope all blacks face south africa,france and australia in their whole campaign to win the cup...that will eliminate the so called "chokers" claim...thats if they beat these teams...sweeter the victory...

i hope all blacks face south africa,france and australia in their whole campaign to win the cup...that will eliminate the so called "chokers" claim...thats if they beat these teams...sweeter the victory...
[/b]
Key-word: If

Australia will top this group, unfortunately. I as an aussie am appalled by the woeful way the wallabies are in at the moment. I think Wales will end up being a really close match though. Is it being played in Wales that particular match?

Yeah, in Cardiff, Millenium Stadium, baby!

We're lucky to have the home advantage on this one, we'll need all the help we can get.
Because we are NOT good at taking the big games by the scruff of the neck and doing what's necessary.

Well, looks like I was wrong, Australia probably will blitz the field in the group stages. They aren't as bad as I thought. But take Ashley Cooper out and instlal Giteau. Nobody else can play there.

Well, looks like I was wrong, Australia probably will blitz the field in the group stages. They aren't as bad as I thought. But take Ashley Cooper out and instlal Giteau. Nobody else can play there. [/b]
Finally, more and more people are seeing the light!

Do you get the feeling of deja vu with the last world cup? Everybody was berating the wallabies last time round before the world cup, then we shone in the big games. Perhaps another world cup final without the All Blacks is in store?

Do you get the feeling of deja vu with the last world cup? Everybody was berating the wallabies last time round before the world cup, then we shone in the big games. Perhaps another world cup final without the All Blacks is in store? [/b]
You son, are on fire!

Well it's good to see that there are still some other people who are positive about the wallabies.

I'm sorry, did everyone else fail to see two weeks of poor rugby against a Welsh side missing 18 of it's first choice players?
Or has one last minute try and a thumping made you think like you're RWC contenders already?
How has the optimism come about now?

Altho, after the scathing criticism, i firmly believe that oz have on of the bes backlines in the world.

1- Australia
2 - Wales
3 - Fiji

...there's no doubt in my mind that that's the way it'll end up.

Wales has no hope they should consider themselves lucky to come second, Australia has them pinned.

Out of the Welsh team that toured Austrailia there's only room for 10 of them in the world cup squad.

And out of those 10, only a small amount will make the first 15.
Colin Charvis has a good chance, unless Ryan Jones returns to full form.
Hook has a chance at 10 or 12.
Michael Owen might, but not guaranteed.
Gareth Thomas is 50/50 in my view.

Wheras Austrailia have a possibility of Latham getting back fit and to form at 15 and Tuquiri back on the wing. Anyone else?

Wales went on tour to finalise the world cup squad. Winning would have been a bonus (I thought we had a good chance though). That's exactly what happened, some players (Colin Charvis etc.) showed they are ready. Alot showed they aren't (Sidoli etc.)

It'll be a different team come world cup and it'll deffinately be a different match!

We're deffinately going to finish 2nd in this group and have a good chance of beating Aus to the pole aswell.

...........Waits for Lora's reply to pooley.

My Wales strongest lineup so far..

01 Gethin Jenkins
02 Mathew Rees
03 Chris Horseman
04 Michael Owen
05 Alun Wyn Jones
06 Colin Charvis
07 Martyn Williams
08 Alix Popham

09 Dwayne Peel
10 James Hook
11 Shane Williams
12 Gavin Henson
13 Tom Shanklin
14 Mark Jones
15 Kevin Morgan

Players in the frame

02 Rhys Thomas - Whoever is best lineout time.
04 Ian Evans - Hope he can come back before World Cup.
04 Ian Gough - Just behind Michael Owen.
06/08 Ryan Jones - Let's see what he can show in the Autumn.
10 Stepen Jones - Needs to get back to best on the International stage.
12/13/15 Gareth Thomas - 50/50 for full back spot with Kevin Morgan imo.

I picked Henson at 12, because I don't think Hook plays all that well in that position and there's no-one else shining (especially because Gareth Jenkins used Parker on tour instead of Gavin Henson, Gavin Evans or Andrew Bishop).

Anyone else in the frame?

as long aw we get through the group stages I dont care wales have been utterly shite this year tho lets be honest.

Ay, they have.

I don't mind when Wales are **** because the don't have the players etc, but this year has been frustrating because we've proberly got the best group of players since the 70's.

For some reason they just can't seem to gell as a team, coupled with a missfiring lineout and alot of injuries has meant they can't get it right.

I still have a little faith that these few months before the world cup they can get things right and sort the problems that have been inherent to the Welsh team for so long..... I just can't see the linout sorted though!

I'd be surprised if Stephen Jones and Gareth Thomas don't make the 15. Leaves Hook v Henson at 12.

The Wallabies played fine whenever Gregan was there - and looked as powerful as the ABs in the 2nd half of the 2nd test. If they can string it together and not lose the Palu/Gregan/Larkham/Giteau axis then they'll do damage.

We haven't done well in the lineouts for a few years now. Even the odd game where the lineout go well, something else pops up like, Scrums, discipline, receiving kick restarts etc. We have got a cracking squad, but for some reason we can't seem to play well consistently. We have got a new coaching setup, so it will take a while until we get it right. I think that the world cup is too near to get us up & ready to go far in the world cup. I hope I'm wrong, but I've got a strong feeling that we will go out too early for our liking this world cup.