• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pool B - General discussion

Yeh they certainly did. Palu in an exceptionl player. He always crosses the advantage line, and he's strong enough to stand on his feet and offload the ball.

The partership between the four players you mentioned Shtove was exceptional in the second test. Should be an end to the Giteau at 9 experiment, although it did show he can take over if necessary if something happened to Gregan.

It's the kind of combinations Wales are sorely lacking at the moment, but fingers crossed; something they can build in the runup to the World Cup.

I'm not as convinced that Stephen Jones is a shoe-in at 10. He's been off form for Wales the past year and doesn't seem to offer anything Hook doesn't imo. I also don't like Hook at 12, he just isn't as effective and an on form Henson is way above him in the inside centre spot.

12 has been such an important position for Wales over the years, it's the way alot of the current squad were bought up to play when Graham Henry, Steve Hansen and Mike Ruddock were in power (obviouly masterminded by Scott Johnson). Henson is the guy who fit's the bill perfectly, Wales need him back to his sublime best. Will that happen, only he knows (maybe).

Gareth Thomas is so inspirational it's hard to leave him out, but Kevin Morgan adds something in attack, therefore it's waying up the pro's of both. I wouldn't mind either to be honest (as long as Morgan doesn't kick aimlessly like he has done in the past).

Yeah I think if Australia can keep the majority of their key players fit we may be able to challenge the more favoured teams. But having said that we have to be able to string it all together

i completely agree hook is not a 12 his whole game improves at ten.

On the micheal Owen issue i think he's terrible they were bigging him up as he had alot of ball in australia big deal! unfortunatly they fail to mention he NEVER runs onto the ball and hardly ever breaks the gain line because of his poxy upright stance. back row should be williams/charvis/popham 2nds wyn jones / gough

I do understand where you are coming from rowdy, but I think Owen offers more than Gough does. If the need is ever there, he has the footballing skills to put someone into space (look back on Shane Williams' try against England in 05).

I know what you mean when you say he never runs onto the ball, but that seems to be a problem with the entire Welsh squad, no one seems to run onto the ball and get over the gane line, every one of the foreards have been standing still recieving the ball over the past year. Charvis was the only one on the Aus tour to change this, oh and Popham sometimes does it.

That to me was the biggest difference between Wales and Austrailia this summer. Palu was recieving the ball in full flight every time, and it proved devastating. It isn't a hard thing to change, so get training Wales.

I do understand where you are coming from rowdy, but I think Owen offers more than Gough does. If the need is ever there, he has the footballing skills to put someone into space (look back on Shane Williams' try against England in 05).

I know what you mean when you say he never runs onto the ball, but that seems to be a problem with the entire Welsh squad, no one seems to run onto the ball and get over the gane line, every one of the foreards have been standing still recieving the ball over the past year. Charvis was the only one on the Aus tour to change this, oh and Popham sometimes does it.

That to me was the biggest difference between Wales and Austrailia this summer. Palu was recieving the ball in full flight every time, and it proved devastating. It isn't a hard thing to change, so get training Wales.
[/b]
Owen can't run onto the ball because (from what I've seen from him playing for the Dragons and Wales) he has no pace. I know second rowers don't generally have a lot of speed, but he is obscenely slow.

Second row

4) Ian Gough/Ian Jones (If fit)
5) Alyn Wyn Jones (No arguement)

Good news for Wales - Fiji don't have a pack.

Bad news - the try scorers are queuing up on the Australia right wing.

I'm not fluent in french but,

"Caucau positif au cannabis"

is pretty easy to understand.

Here's what google translated the text. (Google translator is 100% accurate, but it gives you the jist of what's posted in French)

Positive Caucau with the cannabis
According to the Agen-native newspaper Small Blue, the Fijian winger of SWEATED, Rupeni Caucaunibuca, was controlled positive with the cannabis at the time of the match Montauban-Agen on March 24 last. It is suspended for three months firm, as from yesterday, and will thus not miss the World one with the Fiji[/b]

althought they have been shaky i dont think the wallabies will have too much problems in the pool stage

I gather that Caucau has been banned for smoking pot.

I always find it funny when stortsmen get banned for smoking a bit of MaryJ, it's not like it's going to enhance their performance!

I reckon that pool B will be the closet one

Wales v Oz will be close but i reckon that the drags will edge it.

Final Standings

Wales

Aus

Fiji

Canada

Japan

What do you think

I hope so. Aus are really looking strong though after their 49-0 demolition job of Fiji, very rarely see such a score on a team like Fiji.

Let's see how Wales fare during the Autumn internationals, where we will start sorting out our strongest IV, most positions are already set in my opinion, but there is a few that are still open to change.

The main one is still the 10 spot. Suppose it all comes down to if Gareth Jenkins has the bottle to drop Stephen Jones or not. Stephen deserves one more chance in the Autumn, but if he doesn't show more than just solid, it's gotta be Hook all the way.

There are 3 battling for the 6 & 8 spots, Ryan Jones, Alix Popham and Colin Charvis, nice position to be in.

Ian Evans is back doing light contact training, so fingers crossed he'll be fit in time for the Autmn and challenge for a second row spot along with Alun Wyn Jones, Ian Gough, Michael Owen, Brent Cockbain and Robert Sidoli.

We seem to have the players in most positions to become a very good team, I'm praying they can actaully become one.

I reckon that pool B will be the closet one
Wales v Oz will be close but i reckon that the drags will edge it.
[/b]

Hang on, Drags? WTF? Where did we get that name from?

I hope so. Aus are really looking strong though after their 49-0 demolition job of Fiji, very rarely see such a score on a team like Fiji.
[/b]

Except for when NZ put 90+ points on them, yeah? :p

Nobody seems to be expecting much of Canada beyond coming higher than Japan, no potential upset with Fiji then?

Another move by the IRB to secure the home nations in the quarter finals. It a shame because it ruins the championshhip to leave out France Ireland or Argentina.

I hate to say it but it was i watched to full game live and it was rubbish. Too many drop balls by the Aussies, no fluency in the back line attacks etc. If we play like that (remebering that Fiji was missing heaps of 1st grade internationals) against South Africa or NZ in the tri-nations/WC we are going to get smashed.

Overall a very disappointing game to watch but good to see Tuqiri back (good old league converts)

Let's see how Wales fare during the Autumn internationals, where we will start sorting out our strongest IV, most positions are already set in my opinion, but there is a few that are still open to change.

The main one is still the 10 spot. Suppose it all comes down to if Gareth Jenkins has the bottle to drop Stephen Jones or not. Stephen deserves one more chance in the Autumn, but if he doesn't show more than just solid, it's gotta be Hook all the way.

There are 3 battling for the 6 & 8 spots, Ryan Jones, Alix Popham and Colin Charvis, nice position to be in.

Ian Evans is back doing light contact training, so fingers crossed he'll be fit in time for the Autmn and challenge for a second row spot along with Alun Wyn Jones, Ian Gough, Michael Owen, Brent Cockbain and Robert Sidoli.

We seem to have the players in most positions to become a very good team, I'm praying they can actaully become one.
[/b]

[/b]

That Fiji team was made up of inexperienced local players. It was more like a Fiji B team that was playing out there against the Aussies.

The first half was terrible, but we picked up in the second. Good news is our forwards were not outmuscled, not outplayed by the Aussies. In fact the Fijian openside flanker outplayed both Waugh & Smith.

Our overseas based reps are just starting to arrive in the country now and some of them will be involved in the match against Tonga this weekend. Players like Sisa Koyamaibole (Italy), Jone Daunivucu (France), Isoa Domolailai (France), Norman Ligairi (France), Sisa Waqa (Australia), Deryck Thomas (Japan)..

When the rest have arrived - Seru Rabeni, Sireli Bobo, Maleli Kunavore, Kameli Ratuvou, Napolioni Nalaga, Sakiusa Masi - and Caucau finishes his ban....we have enough days to train together and be competitive at the RWC.

The Fiji win was impressive and disappointing at the same time, lots of good passages of play, but lots of bad ones, some pretty sloppy stuff from what I saw. Australia should still beat Wales, but whether they can go further than that is a major issue, they need to lift, though the signs say that they are gradually improving.