• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Portugal vs Namibia

M

Melhor Time

The game I am most look forward to is not Wales vs New Zealand (yet again) or England vs Australia (yet again) but something fresh: Portugal vs Namibia. breath of fresh air to take place at the Univserty Stadium in Lisboa, Portugal. The first test between the two since 1998. Namibia are at the same level as they were back then but Portugal are significantly better. It is a very useful game for both to see where they are and to prepare for their crucial World Cup Qualification matches which are approaching very quickly.

Namibia have a new captain: Jacques Burger who was probably their best performer at France 2007.

Portugal should win a close match but win in the end. Lets just hope it is not an 11 year wait until they play each other again!

<blockquote><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Preview: Portugal vs Namibia
Fri, 06 Nov 2009 15:18

Namibia have named their starting team to play Portugal in a friendly in Lisbon on Saturday, and coach John Williams has named a new captain.

The match is part of Namibia's preparations to play Tunis away and at home for a place in the 20011 World Cup in New Zealand. These three matches - against Portugal and then against Tunisia in Tunis and Windhoek - will be Williams's swansong before he goes back to the Valke whence he came.

Williams has named 26-year-old Jacques Burger as his captain against Namibia while he rests usual captain Kees Lensing who has been playing for Castres in the tough French Top 14. Burger has been playing on the flank for the Blue Bulls.

Williams said of the Lisbon match: "I believe that the match against Portugal is the right preparation for the qualifying match against Tunisia in Tunis on 14 November.

"In the Test against Portugal we'll look at our readiness and any problem areas where changes should be made. Some of the players won't play against Portugal but will be available for the thriller against Tunisia. We pout in a lot of hard work in the past month with our local, amateur players, both in the guy and on the practice field.

"This weekend presents us with a big challenge. Portugal are a few places above us on the IRB's ranking. [Portugal 20th, Namibia 25th] If we win not only will we shift up a few places but also travel the road to Tunis with so much more self-confidence. And then we shall have to do the same in Windhoek on 28 November.

"For me and my team it's make or break. We have had a good season with several highlights but for me personally qualifying for the World Cup would be my best parting gift.

"With all the professional players available, no injuries and a positive spirit in the camp, I have no doubt about the result."

Williams also said that a match against Russia early in January is in the pipeline and in June Italy could also play a Test in Namibia in preparation for their tour to South Africa.

The Namibians - Welwitschias - will stay on in Lisbon to the Thursday when they will fly south to Tunis.

Portugal - Lobos - is a mixture of experience and new blood. Four of the players are new caps - prop Hugo Valente, who is 21, prop Thomaz Da Costa, scrumhalf Emmanuel Rebelo and wing Frederico Oliveira while another five players have fewer than 10 caps. At the other end of the scale there are those with many caps. the most capped with 64 is Diogo Mateus. His twin brother David has 31 caps while Vasco Uva, who was one of the stars at the 2007 World Cup has 55 caps and fullback António Aguilar 51. Hooker João Correia, lock Gonçalo Uva and flyhalf Cardoso Pinto are in their forties.

Previous Results

The teams have met three times before. Namibia have always been comfortable winners.

1998: Namibia won 36-19 in Lisbon
1991: Namibia won 34-122 in Lisbon
1990: Namibia won 88-18 in Windhoek

Prediction: Portugal to win by 10 or more.

Teams:

Portugal squad: João Junior, Hugo Valente, Jorge Segurado, Thomaz Da Costa, João Correia, Gonçalo Uva, Juan Severino, Eduardo Acosta, Vasco Uva, João Uva , Salvador Palha, Sebastião Cunha, Tiago Girão, Pedro Leal, Lourenço Kadosh, Emmanuel Rebelo, Pedro Cabral, Cardoso Pinto, Diogo Mateus, Pedro Silva, David Mateus, Gonçalo Foro, Pedro Carvalho, Frederico Oliveira, António Aguilar

Namibia: 15 Chrysander Botha, 14 Bradley Langenhoven, 13 Piet van Zyl, 12 David Philander, 11 Mcgrath van Wyk, 10 Emile Wessels, 9 Eugene Jantjies, 8 Pieter-Jan van Lill, 7 Tinus du Plessis, 6 Jacques Burger (captain), 5 Nico Esterhuysen, 4 Wacca Kazombiaze, 3 Jané du Toit, 2 Shaun Esterhuysen, 1 Johnny Redelinghuys.
Replacements: 16 Brendon Walters, 17 Marius Visser, 18 Heinz Koll, 19 Jurie van Tonder, 20 Tinus Venter, 21 Robbert Herridge, 22 Heini Bock.

Date: 7 November 2009
Kick-off: 16.30 (local time)
Venue: Estádio Universitário in Lisbon
Expected weather conditions: Celear with a high of 19°C, dropping to 14°C and a northwester of 32 km/h dropping.
Referee: Chris White (England)[/b]
</blockquote>

I think Portugal went pretty good up against the All Blacks in the RWC 2007 they looked like they could get a few of their forwards into professional Rugby some of their backs looked really small not that that actually matters in todays Rugby but helps if you're a bit bigger.

Is that dude that stepped Joe Rokocoko playing in the squad? the one that gave him a quick little smirk after the run.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Nov 7 2009, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think Portugal went pretty good up against the All Blacks in the RWC 2007 they looked like they could get a few of their forwards into professional Rugby some of their backs looked really small not that that actually matters in todays Rugby but helps if you're a bit bigger.

Is that dude that stepped Joe Rokocoko playing in the squad? the one that gave him a quick little smirk after the run.[/b]
Well as good as you can look when losing 108-13.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Nov 11 2009, 02:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Nov 7 2009, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that dude that stepped Joe Rokocoko playing in the squad? the one that gave him a quick little smirk after the run.[/b]
[/b][/quote]
He is going to play he's António Aguilar

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Nov 11 2009, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Nov 7 2009, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]Yeah but that was the no.1 ranked team playing against like the 20 something so it was a pretty good effort I think. It was one of the most enjoyable games to watch because they played kind of school yard Rugby instead of professional.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (seanAF @ Nov 12 2009, 07:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Nov 11 2009, 02:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
He is going to play he's António Aguilar
[/b][/quote]That's his name Aguilar yeah I remember him because he's only small aye and quite agile and the way he stepped Roks was a good one and I'm sure they both had a bit of a giggle about it.

Latest posts