Post rugby life!

Leonormous Boozer

Fat Boi
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
As I mentioned earlier I'm am [very probably] giving up rugby after a number of concussions after 21 years of playing at 26 years old....

What have people on here done to replace the adrenaline rush you get from heavy contact games? I play golf reasonably well so I think that and gym can take up my focus and competitive streak but I'm definitely going to miss the wired feeling you get in contact in rugby.

Maybe there is no replacement and I'll have to find a calmer and more holistic release but I'm interested to hear the experiences of people who have given the game up whether or not by choice.

A lot of people take up Brazilian jiu-jitsu after giving up rugby

I had a few lessons and really enjoyed it but my back didn't agree with it so had to give it up

Backpacking has been a great of spending the weekends for me recently. Haven't been able to do it as much now that I'm done with law school and started being a lawyer. Gonna try to do a bike packing trip next spring.

I did bjj one summer as training for rugby, no chance I'll do it now that I'm away from the sport.

Edit: I played golf in high school so I figured I'd try it out when I stepped away from reffing but my injuries meant I couldn't swing a club. Went searching for percs after the few rounds I was able to play. I'm still able to play a casual 9 with my dad but I can't play a full 18.

Cheers lads, can't see myself taking up BJJ to be honest. Have minimal interest in contact sports outside of boxing (which blatantly isn't an option).

I think swimming could be a shout, seems like something that you can do near max effort for extended periods of time like a rugby match.

Get yakkedy yakked.

My plan is to try and find something new that has a competitive nature but maybe doesn't require the same commitment. For me that is probably going to be at least one strongman comp. Probably not for you though.

I know a guy who could get you started in cycling?

Cheers lads, can't see myself taking up BJJ to be honest. Have minimal interest in contact sports outside of boxing (which blatantly isn't an option).

I think swimming could be a shout, seems like something that you can do near max effort for extended periods of time like a rugby match.
damn, I was hoping to read your continuing chronicles in the general concussion thread lol

I played senior rugby from 15 in bad old days , till 40 at level 6/5/7 then vets at 40 then referred for 10 yrs at society levels 5 to below, I then enjoyed watched sons and hopefully grandkids playing club rugby your local club should be a hub that you support and give back to.

I played senior rugby from 15 in bad old days , till 40 at level 6/5/7 then vets at 40 then referred for 10 yrs at society levels 5 to below, I then enjoyed watched sons and hopefully grandkids playing club rugby your local club should be a hub that you support and give back to.
Already signed up for coaching my team! Dropped a few levels because of head injuries hoping they wouldn't happen so have a bit to offer!

Don't think I'll coach long term though.

Rowing.

It's what I'm planning on taking up.
Also like rugby has a good gym culture in it.

Good shout. Some great rowing around Dublin too.

Rowing.

It's what I'm planning on taking up.
Also like rugby has a good gym culture in it.
So I've gotten heavy into erg and I've thought about joining a club as a way of socializing through sport (cause I'm a man who doesn't know any other way of making friends). I actually typed out a response asking if anyone had joined a rowing club later in life?

Dunc us millennials are never gonna have kids or own a house haha.

Powerlifting and rugby coaching were the things I did until my back finally gave out. Now just coaching and BB stuff at the gym.

Nothing can really replace the rush though, I still miss playing.

It's not the same, but touch rugby / beach rugby / walking rugby, or even 7s might be good options to scratch the itch.

Otherwise, most of us just get fat and hang around clubhouse bars, lying about our glory days.

I didn't play rugby,so can't really compare,but maybe try shooting? ( In a shooting range,of course). It's expensive,but I had such a biiiig adrenaline during it! Want to take shooting classes :)

My rowing erg comes today. I've been doing Zwift since December because my shoulder has been non-usable since last May but I decided that I wanted to get some strength work back in my life other than bodyweight stuff.

I'm playing rugby again... Couldn't give it up, plan is to do one more year and go out on my own terms. *fingers, toes, and anything else that will, crossed*

Latest posts