• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Potential Postponement of Six Nations

They have to scrap the tournament or postpone the remaining matches until the autumn. Any of the British players who possibles for the lions tour could get infected and develop long-covid which would rule them out for months.
Irish are immune to covid? Open the pubs!

They're not going to scrap the tournament anyway, its more important for the unions than the Lions by a long way. There's plenty of precedent for postponing and if found to have acted in breach of contract France will likely have to forfeit the tournament. This isn't a massively complicated matter by recent standards.

They're not going to scrap the tournament anyway, its more important for the unions than the Lions by a long way. There's plenty of precedent for postponing and if found to have acted in breach of contract France will likely have to forfeit the tournament. This isn't a massively complicated matter by recent standards.
They'll do everything they can to stop France forfeiting it would mar the entire tournament, plus theres the potential Wales Grand Slam nobody wants.

If the Lions tour is so unimportant comparatively, then can it completely, or postpone to 2022

Daily Mail reckons the Lions board have written to the UK (and presumably Irish) Government for permission to host the tests

Three tests: Twickenham, MilStad and Aviva
Warmup vs Japan: Murrayfield
No mid weeks

Daily Mail reckons the Lions board have written to the UK (and presumably Irish) Government for permission to host the tests

No mid weeks
We have tickets for that Murrayfield game..... May have been a bit optimistic in buying those.

If the Lions tour is so unimportant comparatively, then can it completely, or postpone to 2022
2022 is off the table, the unions have contractual obligations.

I'd love it to be cancelled, I think the Lions is a hindrance to each individual nation involved but it's not a case of 6n v Lions tour like you're making it out to be. Whatever about the difficulty in actually getting matches organised, getting the players on the pitch in a safe bubble shouldn't be difficult no matter how the 6n is run from here out.

No mid weeks
And hopefully with some sort of crowds, and I can use my first test ticket and go to one of the games

2022 is off the table, the unions have contractual obligations.

I'd love it to be cancelled, I think the Lions is a hindrance to each individual nation involved but it's not a case of 6n v Lions tour like you're making it out to be. Whatever about the difficulty in actually getting matches organised, getting the players on the pitch in a safe bubble shouldn't be difficult no matter how the 6n is run from here out.
The other issue seemingly surfacing now is Clubs. Eg and rescheduled game may involve Scotland being without a lot if clubs in England and France don't release.
And for once I'd support clubs in this argument.

It is a big mess.

The other issue seemingly surfacing now is Clubs. Eg and rescheduled game may involve Scotland being without a lot if clubs in England and France don't release.
And for once I'd support clubs in this argument.

It is a big mess.
Agreed. As per usual in the time of Covid, it's a case of finding the least worst scenario.

For me there's a discord between how the situation feels and the legal (in a rugby sense) reality. It feels like Scotland are the wronged party and stand to be wronged further which seems out of order. In legal reality, there has been no allegation of wrongdoing against the French (which seems bizarre to me, but it is what it is), so Scotland losing access to players is an unfortunate consequence of their failure to negotiate a deal for access to their players.

Agreed. As per usual in the time of Covid, it's a case of finding the least worst scenario.

For me there's a discord between how the situation feels and the legal (in a rugby sense) reality. It feels like Scotland are the wronged party and stand to be wronged further which seems out of order. In legal reality, there has been no allegation of wrongdoing against the French (which seems bizarre to me, but it is what it is), so Scotland losing access to players is an unfortunate consequence of their failure to negotiate a deal for access to their players.
That is the part missed here. Scotland will be thrown in to a battle of their own through no wrongdoing of their own.
The issue is we have so many parties and all want to 1 up the other

How ironic - France were originally concerned about the Covid situation in Britain and Ireland, now their team are the ones with the outbreak which might well jeopardise the entire tournament.

So dumb but I do love how French it is lol.

Thank God Laporte forgot to mention that the bubble itself escaped from the French training camp in Marcoussis for half a day, so they had to search the countryside for hours to catch it and bring it back :D

Last edited:
Clearly the only sensible approach is to cancel the remaining matches and erase this year's competition from the records.

This is the only way to stop a welsh grand slam and protect my fragile english pride.

Clearly the only sensible approach is to cancel the remaining matches and erase this year's competition from the records.

This is the only way to stop a welsh grand slam and protect my fragile english pride.
An alternative solution could be to forfeit Wales and Scotland for refusing to play in Covid drenched Paris and give the slam to France ?

Latest posts