• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Potential Squads for RWC 2015

With Meyer in charge? Nope Morne Steyn or the Bulls reserve reserve flyhalf who only played ten minutes of rugby. Spies the captain. Naas Botha will be the defence coach and the backline coach with De Villiers the media liaison

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Only seen highlights tbh, which he seemed pretty decent in and I've read other Gloucester fans raving about him. (I can only watch Gloucester matches on tv, live in Sheffield.) Time will tell I guess.

I don't think Wigglesworth is a candidate tbh, and probably not young enough to get much better. I am worried that he'll eat away at time that Spencer could be developing at the Sarries though. Anyway, the top 4 SHs at the minute are Care, Youngs, Dickson and Haydn Thomas, all first-choice at different clubs. Hoping that Simpson will have a good season too. Most second-choice SHs get a decent amount of game time through appearances in the last 20 of matches, and England call-ups will see Harrison/Young and K. Dickson will get regular first-choice game time during the six nations. All-in-all, we have at least 6 decent SHs getting regular game time. Some nations barely have 6 scrum-halves in total! :p

Just remember, we did well for ourselves against Australia with Hape and Tindall! We can definitely do worse than Allen-Tuilagi. There is that nagging feeling that Banahan will be called up again though...

I'd rather not see Wigglesworth there, but he'll do a job. Thomas is a good shout but seems completely on the outside. The situation's not bad, don't get me wrong, but you can't argue it would be ideal for all the candidates to be starting. Time will tell with Robson.

I still hold the Hape/Tindall 'glory' days in utter awe as an example of how much rugby you can play without using the centres. It doesn't get the praise it deserves, although its understandable why. If Allen holds up well in defence I'll be happy with that - have minor reservations - but it's very slim pickings on inside centre atm. With very little obvious clues of where answers might come from.

On the named Wales squad - I find it highly unlikely any squad will go to the World Cup with only two fly-halves. Hook and two others for me.

Tough for NZ, because there's always the odd bolter from the U20s, but
1. ??? Jesus I don't know, that's a terrible start. maybe Fraser Armstong and Wyatt Crockat? on the bench Ben Franks
2. Hika Elliot and Motu Matu'u (google him)
3. Owen Franks, Ben Tamefuna, Charlie Faumuina
4. Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick
5. Jarrod Hoeata, Anthony Borich
6. Victor Vito, Richie McCaw
8. Keiran Reid, Luke Whitelock
7. Sam Cane, Luke Braid, Avie Savea?
9. three of TJ P, Piri weepu, TK Barlow and Aaron Smith. Whoever misses out plays for the next heineken cup champions I reakon.
10. Beuden Barret, Lima Sopoanga, Aaron Cruden (actually maybe Perpingon will will the Heineken cup)
12. Ma'a, SBW or Ryan Crotty
13. Conrad Smith (c), Richard Kahui
11. Savea, Gear, Stowers, Poki, Peateau, whatever really.
14. Jane, Dagg
15. Smith, Taylor

Honourable mention to Mike Haywood of Northampton, who I believe to be the dog's ********, but has a Hartley-shaped problem.

Don't know where you've got your judgement of Haywood from. He likes to put in some big hits around the park but he always seems like a very chilled out young guy to me. In all honesty his skill set has the potential to see him surpass Hartley in the next 3 years. Recovering from a series of dislocations to his shoulder suffered last season at the moment. Whilst I rate him very highly and could well see him starting for England one day if he keeps progressing, I don't know if 2015 will be enough time to get himself established in an England squad in such a compeitive position.

Tough for NZ, because there's always the odd bolter from the U20s, but
1. ??? Jesus I don't know, that's a terrible start. maybe Fraser Armstong and Wyatt Crockat? on the bench Ben Franks
2. Hika Elliot and Motu Matu'u (google him)
3. Owen Franks, Ben Tamefuna, Charlie Faumuina
4. Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick
5. Jarrod Hoeata, Anthony Borich
6. Victor Vito, Richie McCaw
8. Keiran Reid, Luke Whitelock
7. Sam Cane, Luke Braid, Avie Savea?
9. three of TJ P, Piri weepu, TK Barlow and Aaron Smith. Whoever misses out plays for the next heineken cup champions I reakon.
10. Beuden Barret, Lima Sopoanga, Aaron Cruden (actually maybe Perpingon will will the Heineken cup)
12. Ma'a, SBW or Ryan Crotty
13. Conrad Smith (c), Richard Kahui
11. Savea, Gear, Stowers, Poki, Peateau, whatever really.
14. Jane, Dagg
15. Smith, Taylor

I agree, it is very hard to pick a NZ squad due to the high level of talent we have available, and the fact we don't know which players will have left the country (or come back to the country) by then! I won't try to name a 30-man squad, but I might just add a few more suggestions:

1. Toby Smith is and outstanding prospect, and Reg Goodes looks the goods too...
2. Hardest position to pick IMO. Liam Coltman is a great prospect, while Quentin MacDonald could be good if he sorts out his injury problems.
4. & 5. Moli and Luatua are good young prospects, though Luatua may well be playing 6....
8. Brad Shields is an outstanding prospect at either 6 or 8.
12. & 13. Jason Emery could be a great option in a few years. Francis Saili is another.

Steven Lutaua could be fantastic, unfortunatley at the moment I think the only way for him to progress as a lock (he's a lock, make no mistake) is to go south to a fracheise that's not ruined, like the Chiefs or the Highlanders or Crusaders. He has all the skills if he has the nads to leave home. Its such a pity that the Blues are the new Waratahs.

Steven Lutaua could be fantastic, unfortunatley at the moment I think the only way for him to progress as a lock (he's a lock, make no mistake) is to go south to a fracheise that's not ruined, like the Chiefs or the Highlanders or Crusaders. He has all the skills if he has the nads to leave home. Its such a pity that the Blues are the new Waratahs.

I'm not convinced of this. Apparently he has played more as a 6 than a lock at high school, but was put at lock for the NZ Under 20's side. He states his preferred position is flanker, and his lack of height will count against his chances of playing test rugby as a lock. I'd predict he will start at 6 for Auckland during the ITM Cup, and looks to be the incumbent blindside for the Blues next season too - though it does depend on the Blues locking options.

Last edited:
I'll have a go at Wales
1. Ryan Bevington, Rob Evans, Gethin Jenkins, Rhodri Jones, Paul James
2. Ken Owens, Emyr Phillips, Marc Jones, Richard Hibbard, Kirby Myhill
3. Adam Jones, Samson Lee, Joe Rees, Rhodri Jones
4. Bradley Davies, MacCauley Cook, Ian Evans
5. Alun Wyn Jones, Luke Charteris, Cory Hill
6. Dan Lydiate, Aaron Shingler, Rob McCusker, Josh Turnbull
7. Sam Warburton, Justin Tipuric, Dan Thomas, Josh Turnbull
8. Toby Faletau, Kieran Murphy, Dan Baker, Rob McCusker
9. Rhys Webb, Rhodri Williams, Lloyd Williams, Tom Habberfield, Tavis Knoyle
10. James Hook, Rhys Priestland, Dan Biggar, Matthew Morgan, Jordan Williams, don't forget Steven Shingler or Jason Tovey
11. George North, Luke Morgan, Eli Walker if he get's his act together, Aled Brew if he does well in Biarritz
12. Jamie Roberts, Ashley Beck, Adam Warren, Jonathan Davies
13. Jonathan Davies, Scott Williams, Adam Hughes, Adam Warren
14. Hanno Dirksen, Harry Robinson, Alex Cuthbert, Liam Williams, Tom Prydie
15. Leigh Halfpenny, Liam Williams, Ross Jones, Tom Prydie, Steffan Jones

Bonus: Gavin Henson:D

What about Andries Pretorius, Michael Patterson and Luke Hamilton at the Blues? I'd expect all three to be involved with an extended squad like the one you've posted Me 1.

Not sure we'll see three Scarlet hookers involved. The Scarlets can't give enough game time to all three, especially with Matthew Rees still involved over the next few seasons.

I think Rhodri Jones will be a looshead long term, especially with 23 man squads being introduced at international level, and the probable emergence of Samson Lee at the Scarlets. Iestyn Thomas' retirement also means the Scarlets are down a loosehead. I'd personally hope Rhodri Jones is first choice ahead of Phil John, who's ok, but not all that great imo. Hopefully Rob Evans will get plenty of game time as well.

No love for Josh Navidi? He's bound to get plenty of game time at the Blues with Martyn Williams retired, and Warburton heavily involved with Wales/possible head problems. Also a possibility of Thomas Young getting some game time. Hopefully Turnbull will be used primarily on the blindside by the Scarlets, with Dan Thomas quickly becoming their no.1 openside.

Don't forget Dixon and Allen in the centres, as Draggs mentioned earlier in the thread.

I see Ellis Jenkins as a better prospect than Navidi with regards to the Blues.
Rees will probably leave the Turks when his contract runs out. Just speculation, but I can't see them wanting to keep an old hooker around when they have Owens and Myhill competing for the same spot.

I don't rate Knoyle, he is a poor mans Phillips. I have heard good things about Aled Davies, lets hope he can return from injury successfully.

Robinson to start over Dirksen, with Dirksen to offer impact off the bench (covering centre and wing).
We could see Robling or Steffan Jones in line for a callup within the four years, certainly over Shingler! I remain unconvinced of Priestland's ability to be a long-term fixture in the Welsh squad. 2011's Lee Byrne.

Don't know where you've got your judgement of Haywood from. He likes to put in some big hits around the park but he always seems like a very chilled out young guy to me. In all honesty his skill set has the potential to see him surpass Hartley in the next 3 years. Recovering from a series of dislocations to his shoulder suffered last season at the moment. Whilst I rate him very highly and could well see him starting for England one day if he keeps progressing, I don't know if 2015 will be enough time to get himself established in an England squad in such a compeitive position.

You seem to be under the impression that me referring to him having a Hartley-shaped problem is a reference to his temperament, as if he was undisciplined and prone to doing stupid things.

If so, that is not the case. Rather, I am referring to the difficulty he has in establishing himself with Hartley, the established England hooker, ahead of him there. Can he do it? I believe so as well, but it won't be easy to do - hence it will be a problem. And it will be equally problematic to establish himself in the England squad as second choice hooker.

And personally, I don't find hooker a very competitive position for England right now. Hartley is cock of the walk by virtue of being the sole guy who's been proven at international level, but I can't remember his last standout performance at this level. No one else is proven, largely because no one else has put together the consistent form domestically to demand that chance. I'm pinning a lot of my faith on the likes of George and Haywood coming storming through, as I don't feel that confident about how things look right now.

What about Andries Pretorius, Michael Patterson and Luke Hamilton at the Blues? I'd expect all three to be involved with an extended squad like the one you've posted Me 1.

Not sure we'll see three Scarlet hookers involved. The Scarlets can't give enough game time to all three, especially with Matthew Rees still involved over the next few seasons.

I think Rhodri Jones will be a looshead long term, especially with 23 man squads being introduced at international level, and the probable emergence of Samson Lee at the Scarlets. Iestyn Thomas' retirement also means the Scarlets are down a loosehead. I'd personally hope Rhodri Jones is first choice ahead of Phil John, who's ok, but not all that great imo. Hopefully Rob Evans will get plenty of game time as well.

No love for Josh Navidi? He's bound to get plenty of game time at the Blues with Martyn Williams retired, and Warburton heavily involved with Wales/possible head problems. Also a possibility of Thomas Young getting some game time. Hopefully Turnbull will be used primarily on the blindside by the Scarlets, with Dan Thomas quickly becoming their no.1 openside.

Don't forget Dixon and Allen in the centres, as Draggs mentioned earlier in the thread.

1. Forgot about them:p, yes they could be involved.
2. Possibly not, just options.
3. I do think Rhodri's better at loosehead, but again he's an option.
4. Navidi's ok but I think the others are better. Turnbull is primairily a blindside imo but he has experience there so he could be considered. I forgot about Thomas Young but I think I should see more of him before I comment.
5. Again, I don't think I've seen enough of Dixon to comment. I had Allen on the tip of my tongue but couldn't quite remember his name so I left him out:p.

I must be in the minority regarding Navidi, because I think he's the third best choice Wales have at openside at present. That might change with the emergence of Dan Thomas, Thomas Young and Ellis Jenkins. I thought Navidi looked very good at U20 level, but lacked the physicality needed for international level, but last season he really beefed up and as such is in a better position to make the transition if necessary.

Turnbull really needs to get consistency in his performances. He's put in some great performances for the Scarlets over recent years, but he can often be totally anonymous as well. I feel he lacks the finesse in his game to play openside, but was played there by the Scarlets out of necessity (Jon Edwards never improved much on his early promise, in fact he got worse imo, while Pugh was never quite at the level required, despite his excellent work ethic).

The lad needs to cut his hair first. ;)
Turnbull most certainly isn't an openside, and McCusker and Shingler are better blindsides than him. One of the three will need to try and become an eight, to stay in the 22.

I'm bored so I'll give it a go for Ireland. There may be a greater majority of Leinster players then there should be. Presuming on some retirements.

Props: Healy, Furlong, Fitzpatrick, McGrath, Kilcoyne (probably too early for Ed Byrne Ross could well still be around)
Hookers: Best, Cronin, Strauss/Sherry (depends on whether whoever's coach picks project players)
Secondrows: Ryan, Toner, Tuohy, Henderson (again PO'C could still be around)
Backrows: Ferris, O'Brien, Heaslip, Henry, a huge number of players could be fighting out for this spot e.g. Ruddock, Dom Ryan, DO'C 2.0, Butler, Conan (possibility of Ferris having to retire hopefully not.)
Scrumhalves: McGrath, Murray, Marshall (not great choice here but two are queit young and hopefully come good Marmion may get in ahead of Marshall)
Outhalves: Sexton, Madigan, Jackson
Centres: McFadden, Cave, Griffin
Backthree: Kearney, Fitzgerald, Gilroy, Conway, O'Halloran (huge possibility for change here Fitzgerald's injuries could continue, Bowe could still be able to do a job, Jones may have had a sustained run)

Of course this is open to a huge degree of change but this is who I'm picking at this moment in time. It'll be interesting to see how many are actually in it. Good blend in it with an average age of about 27.

I like your choice of flankers

And personally, I don't find hooker a very competitive position for England right now. Hartley is cock of the walk by virtue of being the sole guy who's been proven at international level, but I can't remember his last standout performance at this level. No one else is proven, largely because no one else has put together the consistent form domestically to demand that chance. I'm pinning a lot of my faith on the likes of George and Haywood coming storming through, as I don't feel that confident about how things look right now.
Agreed. Last few years, most Premiership teams have been putting out either players who are too old to make the national team, or foreign players. Expecting more names to be thrown around when the older players retire.

AB's

1, Tony Woodcock, Toby Smith
2, Hika Elliot, McDonald? Other? I think options will present themselves next year. hard to see either Hore or Mealamu making it
3, O. Franks, Tameafuna
4, Retalick, Boric
5, Whitelock, Romano
6, McCaw, Messam at some stage he just has to move.
7, Cane, L. Braid, Todd fantastic depth to take over from McCaw, I think Luke Braid will be bell suited to test rugby.
8, Read, Vito
9, Smith, Perenara, Barlow, heaps of talent. Elis and Leonard also in great form.
10, Carter, Barrett
11, Kahui, Savea
12, Crotty, Nonu, Could even see Carter here, I think another option will present itself at some stage
13, Smith, Elison, If Fruen can inprove his defense he will be a huge asset. But he has a big step to make to go from pretty average to defensive leader like Smith or Kahui
14, jane + lots of options
15, Dagg, Ben Smith, Taylor

So much depth in NZ right now, just missing a link at hooker and a clear option to play 12 as well as nonu.

I'm bored so I'll give it a go for Ireland. There may be a greater majority of Leinster players then there should be. Presuming on some retirements.

Props: Healy, Furlong, Fitzpatrick, McGrath, Kilcoyne (probably too early for Ed Byrne Ross could well still be around)
Hookers: Best, Cronin, Strauss/Sherry (depends on whether whoever's coach picks project players)
Secondrows: Ryan, Toner, Tuohy, Henderson (again PO'C could still be around)
Backrows: Ferris, O'Brien, Heaslip, Henry, a huge number of players could be fighting out for this spot e.g. Ruddock, Dom Ryan, DO'C 2.0, Butler, Conan (possibility of Ferris having to retire hopefully not.)
Scrumhalves: McGrath, Murray, Marshall (not great choice here but two are queit young and hopefully come good Marmion may get in ahead of Marshall)
Outhalves: Sexton, Madigan, Jackson, O'Gara
Centres: McFadden, Cave, Griffin, O'Driscoll
Backthree: Kearney, Fitzgerald, Gilroy, Conway, O'Halloran (huge possibility for change here Fitzgerald's injuries could continue, Bowe could still be able to do a job, Jones may have had a sustained run)

Of course this is open to a huge degree of change but this is who I'm picking at this moment in time. It'll be interesting to see how many are actually in it. Good blend in it with an average age of about 27.
Made a few changes.

AB's

1, Tony Woodcock, Toby Smith
2, Hika Elliot, McDonald? Other? I think options will present themselves next year. hard to see either Hore or Mealamu making it
3, O. Franks, Tameafuna
4, Retalick, Boric
5, Whitelock, Romano
6, McCaw, Messam at some stage he just has to move.
7, Cane, L. Braid, Todd fantastic depth to take over from McCaw, I think Luke Braid will be bell suited to test rugby.
8, Read, Vito
9, Smith, Perenara, Barlow, heaps of talent. Elis and Leonard also in great form.
10, Carter, Barrett
11, Kahui, Savea
12, Crotty, Nonu, Could even see Carter here, I think another option will present itself at some stage
13, Smith, Elison, If Fruen can inprove his defense he will be a huge asset. But he has a big step to make to go from pretty average to defensive leader like Smith or Kahui
14, jane + lots of options
15, Dagg, Ben Smith, Taylor

So much depth in NZ right now, just missing a link at hooker and a clear option to play 12 as well as nonu.

I don't think you have chucked out enough of the older fellas. I might post my team later although I suspect it will be almost exactly the opposite. I'll probably get rid of all of them.

Latest posts