• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Powergen changing codes...

S

Saint N Sinner

Over to the dreaded side that is Football.

They are concentrating on sponsoring the F.A cup from next season...leaving the Powergen/Anglo cup wide open for fresh new advertisements.

As read in the local Chron...

Anyone have a link?

Courtesy of BBC Sport

Powergen to end cup sponsorships
Energy company Powergen has decided to end its sponsorship of rugby union and rugby league's leading domestic cups to concentrate its resources on football.
Two weeks ago Powergen's parent company E.ON was named as the new ***le sponsor of the FA Cup on a four-year deal.

"The deals came to a natural conclusion for us as a business," said Powergen's head of sponsorship Mike Thompson.

As a result, rugby union's Anglo-Welsh Powergen Cup will need restructuring just one year into its existence.

The new Powergen Cup has proved popular with fans and broadcasters, but has been affected by club v country disputes.

However, the Rugby Football Union and Premier Rugby - the English clubs' umbrella body - said Powergen had helped the competition become a great success.

"Our focus now is to find a new partner who will be as committed as Powergen so that we can continue to have exciting competitions across all levels of the game," said RFU business operations director Paul Vaughan.

Rugby Football League chief executive Richard Lewis said he was sure the Challenge Cup would prove attractive to potential new sponsors.

"We believe that the Challenge Cup is a massively prestigious tournament that will prove to be a highly attractive sponsorship property for major brands in the future," he said.

"It inspires great passion from supporters and generates a great deal of wider interest and we believe that becoming the tournament's next major partner will prove highly attractive."
[/b]

Understandable really they'll always get a bigger return for their money with football.

Wonder who takes over, maybe Guinness?

They have already secured English rugby for long period...why not the cup?

Probably be the Fly Emerates Anglo Cup....

or I wonder how much it would cost to call it TRF Anglo Battle Royal.....

Well if we all pitch in 50 pounds and then get trev to back it up - then maybe?

Originally posted by getofmeland@Feb 18 2006, 01:26 AM
or I wonder how much it would cost to call it TRF Anglo Battle Royal.....
:lol:

Best advertising idea yet.

well, if trev could put some money behind it and we contribute as well, you never know? Naming rights for a tournament, gee that's free tickets!

Originally posted by Jacko@Feb 18 2006, 09:45 AM
well, if trev could put some money behind it and we contribute as well, you never know? Naming rights for a tournament, gee that's free tickets!
Oh dear... :rolleyes:

NOW, your talking!

And I want a fancy TRF VIP badge also...

How about a serious interest in the advertising? :D

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby+Feb 18 2006, 09:48 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Jacko
@Feb 18 2006, 09:45 AM
Oh dear... :rolleyes: [/b]
Let that be a lesson to ye... Never encourage Jacko.

I wouldn't mind seeing Guinness sponser the cup instead TBH...

Unless Zurich come into the fold once again...

Next season the English clubs should get rid of this competition and leave more time for the national squad to train. I think it would be in their interest if England reache the RWC final next year. I think they can still do it but time should be left to this team. Actually I've the feeling that Clive Woodward had more means at his disposal when *** came to prepare the RWC2003.

I am for rugby competitions, especially knock out competitions.

Although as a Sale fan, i was very disappointed to see our 'B' team entering the cup.

We lost terribly and this really is not selling the full product. I am okay with a few GP games going to the 'B' teams, but not a premier cup competition.

I can only see this as premier rugby, fuelling the fires of war against the RFU. The more games they try and get the International players to take part in, the more they annoy the RFU, the better position they are for negotiations.

In the present state i feel only the welsh clubs benefit from the current format, so why not bring in the other celtic clubs.

Although my main view for a cup competitions, is to bring in the lower leagues. Much like the old C and G trophy in cricket. This bringing money to lower clubs, or clubs trying to get back to the GP such as 'quins.

Personally i feel this is the best option, as it gives the clubs that i have heard are desperate for money. While also allowing the 'B' teams to compete.

BM

Latest posts