• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Powergen Cup Semi Finals

For anyone still interested, there are still Tickets available... May make the last minute decision to go...

I would go if it weren't in Cardiff, and therefore damn near impossible to get to for anyone without a car. I live in Liverpool, which you wouldn't think would be that difficult to get back to (there must be a Cardiff-Manchester train, surely). But the Bath game kicks off at 17:15, meaning it'll finish around seven at the earliest, which means if I'm lucky I might be able to get back to Liverpool by midnight. If I miss that train, though, it would be 11am the next morning!

All a bit much for a tin-pot competition* that's being shown on the BBC anyway....

*'tin-pot competition' unless we get to the final and end up winning it, of course. Then it's a worthwhile and extremely productive route into Europe.

Scott Johnson has said he doesn't want Dwayne Peel to play in the semi final this weekend, with Cooper out he doesn't want to take the risk. Fair call I suppose, but Llanelli have a decent chance in this game more so with Peel starting. Llanelli say they might pick him anyway since there's no actual agreement between the WRU and the Clubs, merely a gentleman's agreement. But they say they don't want to put Peel in that position. So it looks like Llanelli are willing to compromise as long as Peel gets to play.

Ive been to manchester from cardiff before. With both games though im guessing the atmosphere will be rubbish.

not so - ive been to a double header match before and it was a great day out.

ok here my predictions

wasps 26
tigers 18

bath 21
scarlets 27

even without peel i expect the scarlets backline to have to much for bath.

Originally posted by Boy@Feb 28 2006, 11:49 AM
I would go if it weren't in Cardiff, and therefore damn near impossible to get to for anyone without a car.
Surely that is no more or less true than it would be for just about any city in the UK?

Cardiff is notoriously difficult to get to, especially from the North West of England, mainly because they just don't put on any more trains. The matter isn't helped by the double-header starting at 3pm. If the first was say 1pm and the second 3:30pm it would make it a lot easier.

And Lora, you're not exactly having that much success with your predictions as of late, have you? Ashton's got Bath's backs attacking and defending at a much, much higher level in the past month or so, but it'll still be a while before people stop labelling us as a 'forwards' team.

Bath have improved dramatically since Ashton has arrived to the club, the game against Gloucester was proof of that, first time in ages I have had a chance to watch Bath and I was impressed the backs were great, offloading from the tackle, and the defence was also good, and the great thing about it is that they still had the forwards playing their game and driving forward.... I honestly reckon Leicester will beat Wasps, and Bath will beat the Scarlets.... I am not going to say the scores, but it will be 2 great games...

Looking at the Scarlets team it does seem surprising that James, Jones and Watkins have been allowed to play, Wales don't exactly have major cover for them guys either yet Peel gets to sit it out.

comparing the scarlets backline with baths - there is only one winner

but bath do have a great pack and if they get ball im sure they can be dangerous.

but i think the scarlets will win.

Bath:
15 Matt Perry
14 Andy Higgins
13 Alex Crockett
12 Joe Maddock
11 Salesi Finau
10 Chris Malone
9 Nick Walshe
1 Matt Stevens
2 Lee Mears
3 Duncan Bell
4 Steve Borthwick (captain)
5 Danny Grewcock
6 Andy Beattie
7 Michael Lipman
8 Zak Feaunati

16 Pieter Dixon
17 David Flatman
18 Gareth Delve
19 Peter Short
20 Andy Williams
21 Andy Dunne
22 Nick Abendanon

Scarlets:
15 B Davies;
14 M Jones;
13 M Watkins,
12 R King,
11 D James;
10 M Hercus,
9 C Stuart-Smith;
1 C Dunlea,
2 M Rees,
3 J Davies,
4 I Afeaki,
5 A Jones,
6 S Easterby (capt),
7 G Thomas,
8 A Popham.

Replacements: M Madden, A Gravelle, D Jones, G Quinnell, D Williams, L Davies, L Byrne.

Originally posted by loratadine@Mar 3 2006, 11:54 AM
comparing the scarlets backline with baths - there is only one winner

but bath do have a great pack and if they get ball im sure they can be dangerous.

but i think the scarlets will win.
Have you watched Bath recently, their backs have been fantastic, and they will keep getting better under Ashton.... I think that Bath have turned the corner, we have been successful in the Heiny Cup and Powergen Cup, and now are putting it into our league form, which should stop us from going down... We are now in a stronger position in the GP....
The Scarlets will give us a tough game but Bath can edge them, with a solid performance, but one thing for sure I reckon it will be a fantastic game, surely the reason why they have put it on the later kick off.....

STILL NOT TOO LATE TO GET TICKETS!!!!!!!

so tempted to go but cant find anyone to go with....

TICKETS AVAILABLE

98 St Mary Street Cardiff
(until Kick Off)

Gate 4 Millennium Stadium
(Saturday only)

Originally posted by getofmeland@Mar 3 2006, 07:44 PM
Have you watched Bath recently, their backs have been fantastic, and they will keep getting better under Ashton.... I think that Bath have turned the corner, we have been successful in the Heiny Cup and Powergen Cup,

Your backs looked crap in both matches against Leinster, I don't fancy your chances in the knock-outs against more experienced European teams.

Originally posted by el_tk+Mar 4 2006, 08:15 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-getofmeland
@Mar 3 2006, 07:44 PM
Have you watched Bath recently, their backs have been fantastic, and they will keep getting better under Ashton....  I think that Bath have turned the corner, we have been successful in the Heiny Cup and Powergen Cup,

Your backs looked crap in both matches against Leinster, I don't fancy your chances in the knock-outs against more experienced European teams. [/b]
Hence the word 'recently.'

Originally posted by Boy+Mar 3 2006, 09:39 PM-->
Originally posted by el_tk@Mar 4 2006, 08:15 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-getofmeland
@Mar 3 2006, 07:44 PM
Have you watched Bath recently, their backs have been fantastic, and they will keep getting better under Ashton....  I think that Bath have turned the corner, we have been successful in the Heiny Cup and Powergen Cup,

Your backs looked crap in both matches against Leinster, I don't fancy your chances in the knock-outs against more experienced European teams.
Hence the word 'recently.' [/b]
It still implied backline success in the HEC.

Latest posts