• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Predicted 6N table 2020

I really hope we get one two upsets. It's just boring when all the results go to plan.

I have a feeling Italy might regress a bit without O'Shea. Curious to see what Andy Farrell can do as HC. Can Wales maintain the same level without Gatland's motivation/man management skills? Can Townsend save his job and scrape two or perhaps even an unthinkable three wins? Which England/France will turn up? So many questions...

Yeah those kind of results are always the ones that are of far more interest and generate more buzz ie. England beating Ireland, Wales beating England and Scotland drawing with England in last years Championship. I think if Ireland or Wales can manage a win at Twickenham, or if Scotland or France can get a win against the current top 3 it would contribute to an interesting tournament. If Italy can manage a win or two things would really get interesting.

England's performance ceiling is higher than all the other NH teams, If they hit their stride, you would put them to win 9/10 times. However for every Ireland game last year, you then have a Wales game, NZ win to SA game in the world cup, one half to another in the Scotland game. :p They are favourites for me but I wouldn't be surprised to see Scotland beat them to deny the grand slam.

England's performance ceiling is higher than all the other NH teams,
I don't really know how that's being accepted as fact to be honest. At their best they're more entertaining sure but they haven't won anything and have been absolutely nullified more than Ireland or Wales in the last two seasons.

I think with England the fact that they have Ireland and Wales at home is the big factor for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they'd be favourites if the fixtures were the other way around too but for me it's foremost in my thinking.

Ceiling-wise it's hard to look past that semi-final against the All Blacks... it's just that even when SA and Ireland got wins against the Blacks, they didn't look like that... the score line could (& should) have been blown out a fair bit too. This is not to say Ireland or Wales (or France & Scotland... sorry Italy) can't beat them but when they are at their best they are very formidable. Their bottom can fall out though as we all know.

Ceiling-wise it's hard to look past that semi-final against the All Blacks... it's just that even when SA and Ireland got wins against the Blacks, they didn't look like that... the score line could (& should) have been blown out a fair bit too. This is not to say Ireland or Wales (or France & Scotland... sorry Italy) can't beat them but when they are at their best they are very formidable. Their bottom can fall out though as we all know.
See, this is where I think people are going wrong. Yes it was an exceptional performance, nearly flawless but to support the narrative of how great peak England were it's just accepted they were lousy the week after when a team with a day's less rest and one more game under their belt had an even more convincing win over them than they had against NZ and ignores that NZ didn't exactly fore against them. It also ignores that Wales at their best strangled England out of the game.

England are very, very good but last year there were definitely two, and probably three other teams of you include NZ that could match their best, if you go back 12 months further you can add Ireland. Ultimately I think that England are being slightly overvalued on account of their style of play. And more importantly I don't think it matters to this conversation because I doubt anyone hits peak performance in the next 12 months, let alone three.

I don't really know how that's being accepted as fact to be honest. At their best they're more entertaining sure but they haven't won anything and have been absolutely nullified more than Ireland or Wales in the last two seasons.

I'd say Ireland have been well and truly nullified 4 times at least in the last year alone, twice by England, once by Wales and once by New Zealand. These weren't tight games, Ireland were blown off the park in all of them and were not even competing. Every game England suffered this year (SA, Wales and Scotland) they were easily still in it and with a chance until the last quarter. The games Ireland were nullified in, they were never looking like having a chance. Ireland and Wales tend to try to play the percentages game, England have shifted to a more high risk high reward style. The problem with England is we have become the new France, completely tearing Ireland and France a new one with record wins and then throwing away the largest lead in 6N history all within the same tournament.

If England can cut out the stupid brainfarts where we just completely fall off the game and the players no longer look like they can be bothered then I'd pip us to win. Otherwise I'd say something that has definitely never been heard before, this is Scortlands year!

I really hope we get one two upsets. It's just boring when all the results go to plan.

I have a feeling Italy might regress a bit without O'Shea. Curious to see what Andy Farrell can do as HC. Can Wales maintain the same level without Gatland's motivation/man management skills? Can Townsend save his job and scrape two or perhaps even an unthinkable three wins? Which England/France will turn up? So many questions...

I think this will be the most interesting thing to watch this year. 4 out of 6 teams have new head coaches.

Ireland overall had a poor world cup and Farrell was part of that (as well as England's four years before ironically), so will he bring something different or more of the same?
Italy have an interim coach and are trying to move on from Parisse. They have some good young players so will be interesting to see if Franco Smith can develop them and if they are more competitive.
France have got Galthié, who already seems to be trying to get more structure and less chaos in the side. Also got some very good young players to work with, but is it too soon and will they need time to gel?
Wales have Pivac who's been around the clubs and union a while. Also Jones was at the WC. However with Gatland being in charge for 12 years, how will the change affect them?

As for the two coaches who are continuing since the world cup, Townsend is definitely fighting for his job and realistically needs 4th or better. Just beating Italy for me would not be enough. Scotland can't afford to keep hoping it will come good with a coach who is struggling to win. Especially after Cotter really looked to have set them on a new path.

Jones for me is the only one who doesn't have much to prove. He's had good years and bad years, been lauded and criticised. After what was a disappointing finish to an overall very good world cup he has time to start building for 23 and working out who he wants to keep and who to try. If it doesn't quite pay off he's not going to be under pressure.

I'd say Ireland have been well and truly nullified 4 times at least in the last year alone, twice by England, once by Wales and once by New Zealand. These weren't tight games, Ireland were blown off the park in all of them and were not even competing. Every game England suffered this year (SA, Wales and Scotland) they were easily still in it and with a chance until the last quarter. The games Ireland were nullified in, they were never looking like having a chance. Ireland and Wales tend to try to play the percentages game
Straight away I'll call you on double standards, you're probably just misremembering though. If you want to include Ireland v England (6n) in your list but exclude the world cup final you're moving goalposts left and right, it was a one score game until Slade's try in the 66th minute... I said two seasons for a reason, as much to point out how fickle international form is than anything else, but I stand by it completely.

England have shifted to a more high risk high reward style. The problem with England is we have become the new France, completely tearing Ireland and France a new one with record wins and then throwing away the largest lead in 6N history all within the same tournament.

If England can cut out the stupid brainfarts where we just completely fall off the game and the players no longer look like they can be bothered then I'd pip us to win. Otherwise I'd say something that has definitely never been heard before, this is Scortlands year!

This is closer to the point I'm arguing against, I think it's just straight wrong. Yes, England play a more risk reward game but that doesn't mean they're better, if they had the best pack in the world it would work every game unless they had an off day but it's not surprising that they lost last year to one pack that was better, (SA) and significantly so in the tight 5, and one that was at about the same level. Give England pack dominance and they'll win every game and do so by more than Wales, but Wales will still win games with pack dominance. Have a pack that can match them and they don't really have the rugby iq of a lot of other teams and suffer because of it, I think Wales last year is proof of this, it's just been discarded by England fans as an off day but in reality when England weren't dominating contact (which they have no divine right to) they didn't have a brain on the pitch to deal with it, there's at least 6 other teams in world rugby that are significantly stronger than England in this capacity in my opinion and three of them are the other triple crown teams, you can't discount that. It's definitely not a case of England winning if they show up this year, Wales and Ireland have the quality of players from 1-10 needed to contain England and I'd probably say France do too but I think their kids are in for a tough ride this year.

In my opinion, and it's the last I'll say on this because I think I've made my point clear in this post and others, anyone saying England at 100% can't be beaten are overrating their pack while also thinking that their biggest weakness, which is that they're not a smart rugby team, is an easy fix when in reality it probably requires an overhaul to the backline because Youngs*, Ford and Farrell just can't do it like other countries' generals.

*I know he's almost certainly out but unless his replacement is Dimitri Yachvili or something similar than England will still need to fix this issue, but yeah it might get a bit better.

In my opinion, and it's the last I'll say on this because I think I've made my point clear in this post and others, anyone saying England at 100% can't be beaten are overrating their pack while also thinking that their biggest weakness, which is that they're not a smart rugby team, is an easy fix when in reality it probably requires an overhaul to the backline because Youngs*, Ford and Farrell just can't do it like other countries' generals.

So no sweeping statements or media cliches there then. England win games because they physically dominate and lose because they're not smart. Rrrriiiiggghhhtttt....

Other teams lose games but its's not because their generals aren't smart, obviously. Certainly when Ireland or Wales are losing I see their smart generals shifting them to Plan B and... Oh no, wait-a-minute, I don't.

England in 2018 were a different side to 2019. They were a team in transition in 2018 and had many of Lancaster's fading veteran players who were then put out to pasture and new youngsters brought in. In 2019, with a much younger squad, they blew many sides away, were one win away from winning the 6N and one win away from winning the WC, with the 2nd youngest side in the tournament and the youngest side ever in the WC final. Most of their players are returning and their coach is returning. The arrow for them is pointing straight up. If those young players can make as much progress in 2020 as they did in 2019, then they should be winning trophies.

Obviously as an England fan, you can call me biased (and I am :p), but I do believe the ceiling is high for this England team. Not for the one Eddie took over in 2016, but definitely for this one. The thing that stands out for me last year was how often our defence dominated and how often we scored four tries or more. In 16 matches (excluding the Barbarians, coz those games aren't a good measure) we won 13 times, scored 4 tries or more 10 times and conceded 16 points or less 9 times. With a team that had an average age of 26! Right now, optimism abounds!

So no sweeping statements or media cliches there then. England win games because they physically dominate and lose because they're not smart. Rrrriiiiggghhhtttt....

Other teams lose games but its's not because their generals aren't smart, obviously. Certainly when Ireland or Wales are losing I see their smart generals shifting them to Plan B and... Oh no, wait-a-minute, I don't.

England in 2018 were a different side to 2019. They were a team in transition in 2018 and had many of Lancaster's fading veteran players who were then put out to pasture and new youngsters brought in. In 2019, with a much younger squad, they blew many sides away, were one win away from winning the 6N and one win away from winning the WC, with the 2nd youngest side in the tournament and the youngest side ever in the WC final. Most of their players are returning and their coach is returning. The arrow for them is pointing straight up. If those young players can make as much progress in 2020 as they did in 2019, then they should be winning trophies.

Obviously as an England fan, you can call me biased (and I am :p), but I do believe the ceiling is high for this England team. Not for the one Eddie took over in 2016, but definitely for this one. The thing that stands out for me last year was how often our defence dominated and how often we scored four tries or more. In 16 matches (excluding the Barbarians, coz those games aren't a good measure) we won 13 times, scored 4 tries or more 10 times and conceded 16 points or less 9 times. With a team that had an average age of 26! Right now, optimism abounds!

It does although the Boks found a San Andreas sized fault line. Admittedly there aren't many other packs like the Boks around, but that will have given others food for thought.

I've predicted we'll win, possibly with a GS and I stand by that. But while the AB game showed a very high ceiling, it was probably every bit a freak performance as the second half against Scotland.

I love this time of year!

Well yeah, if you try to paraphrase about 5 paragraphs of text into a sentence it will sound dumb...

You're dead right, they don't, no one has a plan b. What other team's generals do that England's don't however is exactly the opposite, they keep their teams playing to their strengths and try to put them in positions where it's most effective. Take a look at both Ireland's and Wales' last games in Paris, both sides were in a bind and all they did was stick to what works for them and managed to turn it around whereas in Cardiff England lost the head a bit and tried things they'd never try in a game where they were on top. At this level in rugby neither often works to turn a game around but I can't really remember the last time the latter did.

Like last year Ireland's backrow were as soft as wet cardboard, there's no 9, 10 and 12/15 axis that can turn that around but there are ones that can keep a scoreboard ticking even when their team isn't getting over the gainline quite as much and by quite as far as they're used to. England's best option in this regard is Farrell at 10 (it's just not in Ford's wheelhouse at all) in my opinion but he's not as good on the front foot and to get England humming as Ford is from the pivot so it's rarely worth the sacrifice. (Edit to avoid Ford v Farrell) and they haven't shown they have a 9 or outside back to help the 10 enough to get around it either.

Nothing too contentious there, England should be in a very good place, I've never said otherwise. One thing though is that there's not a prayer that the young guys will make as much progress year on year, there were a lot of breakout seasons and a lot of guys who made another step up in class last year which is great of course, but diminishing returns sets in. Obviously it can still be managed to continue to succeed, but an early peaker or an injury here and there can cause problems fast, see Dan Leavy and Joey Carbery!
Again, nothing wrong here, England should be contenders for everything they enter in the next 4 years but I don't think it translates into England being in a position where its totally in their control whether or not France and Ireland* can catch up to them and beat them as has been implied by many. Both have young teams doing bits in Europe, Ireland have a lot of young players who've done just about everything other than succeed in a world cup coupled with talent breaking out in the provinces while France just has the raw talent to put anyone in the NH to shame. France need to stick with their youth and have some consistency in selection and Ireland need to manage the handover from old to young in about 7 positions in the 23 well (this should be easy at 2, 14, 15, 6 and 8 but tricky at 9 and 10) but both have the talent to match England.

*Wales too probably (they were at the same level if not slightly better last year imo) but I always think that their terrible club game will catch up with them eventually and Gatland going might just be the catalyst for it.

Last edited:
Straight away I'll call you on double standards, you're probably just misremembering though. If you want to include Ireland v England (6n) in your list but exclude the world cup final you're moving goalposts left and right, it was a one score game until Slade's try in the 66th minute... I said two seasons for a reason, as much to point out how fickle international form is than anything else, but I stand by it completely.

No sorry the only double standard here is from you. All of South Africa's points prior to the tries at the end came from 1 source, scrum penalties. We were knocking the ball on loads that game, often unforced. Their scrum was better than ours but that hurt us because we kept giving them scrum opportunities. Had we not been doing that, they were not scoring points through any other means. Ireland vs England may have been close score wise, in the same way England vs NZ was but there was no way Ireland were still in the game until Slade's try.

This is closer to the point I'm arguing against, I think it's just straight wrong. Yes, England play a more risk reward game but that doesn't mean they're better, if they had the best pack in the world it would work every game unless they had an off day but it's not surprising that they lost last year to one pack that was better, (SA) and significantly so in the tight 5, and one that was at about the same level. Give England pack dominance and they'll win every game and do so by more than Wales, but Wales will still win games with pack dominance. Have a pack that can match them and they don't really have the rugby iq of a lot of other teams and suffer because of it, I think Wales last year is proof of this, it's just been discarded by England fans as an off day but in reality when England weren't dominating contact (which they have no divine right to) they didn't have a brain on the pitch to deal with it, there's at least 6 other teams in world rugby that are significantly stronger than England in this capacity in my opinion and three of them are the other triple crown teams, you can't discount that. It's definitely not a case of England winning if they show up this year, Wales and Ireland have the quality of players from 1-10 needed to contain England and I'd probably say France do too but I think their kids are in for a tough ride this year.

*I know he's almost certainly out but unless his replacement is Dimitri Yachvili or something similar than England will still need to fix this issue, but yeah it might get a bit better.

I'd say England are better though. Irish wins were also built off pack dominance. How often have Ireland won when their pack has been beaten? How often has any side? It's a ridiculous claim to make against England when it applies for all sides. As for not having rugby IQ, Ireland have the worst record of England, Wales and Ireland of being able to win games after being behind at half time. How often have Ireland managed to turn games around once they started slipping away? That drop goal against France about the only example and even then it's dubious (and also would suggest Ireland actually aren't that great for being in that position in the first place). Ireland were saying they had the players to contain England in the 6N but didn't. They then said that was a 1 off before getting torn apart again. Ireland were almost scoreless against Wales and marched off the park by New Zealand. We have been contained on occasion but Ireland have been utterly destroyed repeatedly. Also it's another double standard where you say England's demolition of New Zealand was more down to New Zealand not being at the races. Ok then, so what about the domination of Australia prior to that? The double domination of Ireland before that? Dominating France? That was 5 games England put in in 1 year that all followed the same pattern and all ended up being very 1 sided affairs. If it was 1 game then it would be a fair point but it was 5 games and for every one there was an excuse to explain away how it meant nothing to England.

I must admit I'm somewhat confused then by what you mean by smart generals. I thought we lost in Cardiff because we did stick to the gameplan. We just kept using attacking kicks when they clearly weren't working, so the criticism is we couldn't adjust on the fly. But you seem to be saying that sticking to the gameplan is what smart generals do. I'm confused. :confused: Ireland are currently riding a losing streak of 23 straight games when they have been behind at halftime by more than one point. I'm not sure that that says that sticking to the gameplan is a smart thing for the generals to do. In fact, it shows a complete lack of smart generalship to my mind.

England have shown a lot more tactical flexibility than the other NH sides of late. Schmidt openly said after the WC that he should have had a Plan B (I'm paraphrasing). Wales haven't had one for 12 years. France haven't even had a Plan A. Last year, England played a very different style of game against Oz in the quarters (kick the ball away, defend, defend, force mistakes, pounce), to the one they played against NZ in the semis (keep the ball in hand, pass, offload, attack, attack, attack). They are tactically flexible, but they didn't adjust in-game against Wales when they needed to. They will have learned from that experience and I don't see why they can't improve as a team as a result.

As for the WC final: England froze and got bossed around by a better pack on the day. Gameplans and tactics are meaningless when your players have stage fright, can't catch a ball, can't pass a ball and have forgotten how to scrummage. Again, it was a learning experience and they should improve for it. We'd won our previous two games against SA, so it's not like they were on another strata.

I've no argument that England can be beaten by the other sides, of course they can, any Tier One team can be beaten by any other on their day. Even NZ at their peak 2012-15 still lost some games.

Not to make this about Wales but in last years game against England we were down at halftime and changed our game plan. Just saying.

No sorry the only double standard here is from you. All of South Africa's points prior to the tries at the end came from 1 source, scrum penalties. We were knocking the ball on loads that game, often unforced. Their scrum was better than ours but that hurt us because we kept giving them scrum opportunities. Had we not been doing that, they were not scoring points through any other means. Ireland vs England may have been close score wise, in the same way England vs NZ was but there was no way Ireland were still in the game until Slade's try.

Ahahaha, come on... I'm shouldn't justfy that bollix with a response but... How the **** does the source of points matter? Ireland scored from a try and penalties against England, England only scored penalties against South Africa both games were won long before the 66th and 67th minute tries. This sums up how tunnel visioned this all is, England made unforced errors v SA when they were getting battered upfront, but Ireland's errors v England when they were battered were because England were so good, give me a break...

I'd say England are better though. Irish wins were also built off pack dominance. How often have Ireland won when their pack has been beaten? How often has any side?It's a ridiculous claim to make against England when it applies for all sides.

That's not a claim I'm making.

As for not having rugby IQ, Ireland have the worst record of England, Wales and Ireland of being able to win games after being behind at half time. How often have Ireland managed to turn games around once they started slipping away? That drop goal against France about the only example and even then it's dubious (and also would suggest Ireland actually aren't that great for being in that position in the first place).
Again, this isn't really my point, we're obsessed with plan bs and comebacks in this debate but it's not really about that. I'm more talking about games where teams more or less have parity up front, its rare but in this hypothetical game where two teams at their best play its likely. England lost those games in Cardiff last year and Dublin in 2017 with some horrendous half back play. The stupidity that you keep saying "if we can cut this out no one could beat us" isn't an attitude thing, it's a lack of ability and evident in every tight game England play. It'd be like me saying that if Ireland had the best backrow at the world cup rather than one of the worst we'd have reached a final, maybe but we didn't.
Ireland were saying they had the players to contain England in the 6N but didn't. They then said that was a 1 off before getting torn apart again. Ireland were almost scoreless against Wales and marched off the park by New Zealand. We have been contained on occasion but Ireland have been utterly destroyed repeatedly.
Ireland were bad last year, England were bad the year before. International form is fickle, don't know how many times I have to say it... Like before the game in Dublin last year people were saying that only a handful of England players would make the Ireland team and it wasn't contentious. (BOD saying none would was plain idiocy so don't throw that in my face!)

Also it's another double standard where you say England's demolition of New Zealand was more down to New Zealand not being at the races.
Lol, not when it's specifically confined to claims that England dominated NZ but just didn't turn up for the final so got beat.
Ok then, so what about the domination of Australia prior to that? The double domination of Ireland before that? Dominating France? That was 5 games England put in in 1 year that all followed the same pattern and all ended up being very 1 sided affairs. If it was 1 game then it would be a fair point but it was 5 games and for every one there was an excuse to explain away how it meant nothing to England.
Dude, relax, I'm not saying England are a bad side... Buuuuuut for all those wins they won no trophies, they're not unbeatable when they want to be or when they have the right mindset or whatever the narrative is this week. Give England an inch and they'll take a mile which is a very good thing but get into a scrap with them and they're there for the taking. All this said, they should be contenders in everything for the foreseeable future and win a few things and they shouldn't get beaten by anything other than a strong side, of which European will throw out a few.

I must admit I'm somewhat confused then by what you mean by smart generals. I thought we lost in Cardiff because we did stick to the gameplan. We just kept using attacking kicks when they clearly weren't working, so the criticism is we couldn't adjust on the fly. But you seem to be saying that sticking to the gameplan is what smart generals do.
Executing the gameplan is what smart generals do in my opinion, a gameplan is a somewhat malleable thing being able to place less emphasis on what isn't working and more on what is is what I'm talking about. Failing to adjust like England in Cardiff or trying the wrong things like Ireland v Japan are two sides of the same coin, it's doing the wrong thing to try to win a winnable game. It's rare this will make a difference in a game because their are so many moving parts but in the hypothetical game where two teams are perfect, it's something that I think would hurt England more than Ireland, Scotland or Wales. Obviously these three have other weaknesses.
I'm confused. :confused: Ireland are currently riding a losing streak of 23 straight games when they have been behind at halftime by more than one point.
They won two games losing at HT last year.
I'm not sure that that says that sticking to the gameplan is a smart thing for the generals to do. In fact, it shows a complete lack of smart generalship to my mind.

The complexity of the systems these guys are involved in more or less makes it the only option, there's X amount of things any side can do to put points on the board, the challenge is figuring out which of these will work against your current opposition and which won't.
England have shown a lot more tactical flexibility than the other NH sides of late. Schmidt openly said after the WC that he should have had a Plan B (I'm paraphrasing).
Schmidt said Ireland needed to keep developing rather than just trying to perfect what worked in 2018. If you can point out the match where a team completely changed the core of what they were doing, did things they'd never exhibited before and won my opinion might change here but I doubt you can.
Last year, England played a very different style of game against Oz in the quarters (kick the ball away, defend, defend, force mistakes, pounce), to the one they played against NZ in the semis (keep the ball in hand, pass, offload, attack, attack, attack). They are tactically flexible, but they didn't adjust in-game against Wales when they needed to. They will have learned from that experience and I don't see why they can't improve as a team as a result.
Yeah, it's definitely a strength of England's that they can play with or without the ball most of the time. Again, I've never said England won't or can't improve, I've never tried to claim that they're anything worse than one of the best sides in the world in fact.
Again, it was a learning experience and they should improve for it. We'd won our previous two games against SA, so it's not like they were on another strata.

I've no argument that England can be beaten by the other sides, of course they can, any Tier One team can be beaten by any other on their day. Even NZ at their peak 2012-15 still lost some games.
More or less in agreement here.

England need to find a half decent 9. Youngs can be good when the pack are dominating, but the guy would be like 7/8th choice for Wales. I haven't seen any obvious replacements either. Randall at Bris looks to have a rounded game (we all know he's Welsh really though!), but maybe to soon for him. The best 9's in the prem by quite some distance are both South African in Reinach and Faf.

England need to find a half decent 9. Youngs can be good when the pack are dominating, but the guy would be like 7/8th choice for Wales. I haven't seen any obvious replacements either. Randall at Bris looks to have a rounded game (we all know he's Welsh really though!), but maybe to soon for him. The best 9's in the prem by quite some distance are both South African in Reinach and Faf.
Totally.

Centre and FB need some thought too. But I think Jones biggest challenge over the next couple of years is to build a dominant front 5.

Latest posts