• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Predictions

I really feel that Scotland is being underestimated in most people's predictons, like I said earlier with the exception of the game vs. the All Blacks they have been playing quality rugby in the last ten-twelve months. I know depth is an issue and the Magners League clubs have been having sub par seasons but they have an advantageous schedule with three matches at home.

I also find the trashing of Dan Parks in some circles to be perplexing(there is a writer on scrum.com who does so quarterly), he sometimes does play too deep but is this really a problem for Scotland when they don't have the flair to compete with the likes of Wales and France in terms of flowing rugby. Dan Parks is a superb game manager and his goal kicking and drop goals are vital for a team that dosen't punch over the try line very often. In short I think Scotland does have a chance to win the ***le this year, although I think it more likely a 2nd or 3rd place finish will be the ultimate result.

Last edited:
I really feel that Scotland is being underestimated in most people's predictons, like I said earlier with the exception of the game vs. the All Blacks they have been playing quality rugby in the last ten-twelve months. I know depth is an issue and the Magners League clubs have been having sub par seasons but they have an advantageous schedule with three matches at home.

I also find the trashing of Dan Parks in some circles to be perplexing(there is a writer on scrum.com who does so quarterly), he sometimes does play too deep but is this really a problem for Scotland when they don't have the flair to compete with the likes of Wales and France in terms of flowing rugby. Dan Parks is a superb game manager and his goal kicking and drop goals are vital for a team that dosen't punch over the try line very often. In short I think Scotland does have a chance to win the ***le this year, although I think it more likely a 2nd or 3rd place finish will be the ultimate result.

Agree with most of what you say, except for the use of the word 'quality'

I think the phase 'grinding out results' is the most apt phrase for our situation

My predicition may seem a wee bit pessimistic and contradictory to my agreeing with your points, but the 'performances' against France
And New Zealand suggest to me that the players have a long way to go before they can considered in the same breath as the likes of Wales and Ireland
*see the result/performance against Italy*

Here's hoping they do the biz, and end their hoodoo against NZ in the RWC quaterfinals B)

Last edited:
Ummmmn ....

1/ France
2/ Wales
3/ England
4/ Scotland
5/ Ireland
6/ Italy

... I realise France had a pretty ordinary AI series, but 50 point loses don't to SH teams in the year preceding the RWC don't seem to matter much ... they seem to find form when they need to.

... With the new Refereeing emphasis on Scrum infringements, i'm picking the stronger scrummaging sides will come out on top.

... Hey Ireland, sorry, nothing personal ... i'm neutral, and someone has to be fifth

... now watch my predictions come back and bite me :)

1. England 2. Ireland 3. France 4. Wales 5. Scotland 6. Italy. England wins by less than you would expect. Probably because of stupid sissy drop goals.

Like the one that won Ireland the Grandslam?
It's more likely to be Scotland taking all the dropgoals

Surprised you didn't mention the ones that won RWCs

Edit: And we prefer long droning penalties :p

They won't be intentional DGs when Parks is playing... He's reverts to type whenever a ball is given to him and simply has to kick it!

Surprised you didn't mention the ones that won RWCs

Edit: And we prefer long droning penalties :p

As an Irish fan (I presume - he's in America/Leinster fan so is bound to be a plastic paddy ;) ) then I thought I'd bring up one he was probably thankful for, rather than one which made a team that he apparently dislikes win the world cup :p

Everyone writing off Ireland...Very unwise methinks
I'm actually expecting the Irish to win it this year. Probably be disappointed :/ but no way in hell will they come 5th :)

Revised predictions after week one:

France
England
Scotland
Ireland
Italy
Wales

Back to the point - Difficult one this year!

1. England - Capable of playing fantastic rugby (still not 100% convinced yet but the ability is certainly there).
2. Scotland - Have become a difficult team to beat, I think they will win all their home games because of this. Will be difficult to get anything away, but not impossible.
3. Wales - Have plenty in attack, and play some really exciting stuff, but seem to struggle to win?
4. France - I'm predicting a poor show from France this year.
5. Ireland - Seem to look better when to old hats are playing, which is kind of a shame really. I think they will play Sexton et al. and suffer for it.
6. Italy - Expect a strong show from Italy but struggle to see them win any games.

I'm making this prediction but I really do think any team can beat any other this year.

Going to have to revise this a wee bit (or completely) I think! -

1. France
2. Scotland
3. England
4. Ireland
5. Italy
6. Wales

Although people are predicting France to come top of the six nations again, remember they have to play both England and Ireland away. Both games will be very hard.I'm expecting Ireland will actually get it together and their fixture list is such that they could do the slam ,despite looking unlikely atm. I do think England have a chance to win in Dublin this year though, if tihngs come together. Ireland still favourites though.

Latest posts