• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Prem Attendances on the downward slope?

EP wasn't fit for purpose, We were getting massively fined by the PRL, or whoever enforces the stadium requirements, every game but we weren't allowed to redevelop to bring it up to standards.

Yeah would be nice to get that back and be allowed to modernise it.

Also Bath first game was against Newcastle last year at home.....this year Saracens

On comparison of corresponding fixture's it was about 27 people on both Bath V Saracens games

This weekend is against Newcastle and you'll probably see a drop off to similar levels as before.

You need to compare corresponding fixtures from last year as who they playing probably matters way more than when.

Wasps V Sale: Last Year 12,329, This Year 12,018
Leicester V Bath: Last Year: Last Year 20,134, This year 22,582

So even by that evidence your up not down.

Our attendance against Gloucester was poor. Against your lot im baffled we only got 20k last year. Was there an England game on or something?!

I'm sure there's some sort of brownfield site available near Manchester suitable for development.

I'm sure there's some sort of brownfield site available near Manchester suitable for development.
The issue is outbidding housing and shopping for it
Apparently we were looking at a site - think it might even have been an amateur clubs grounds, to develop on and then walmart came in swinging their dicks and decided to build an Asda there instead

Apparently we were looking at a site - think it might even have been an amateur clubs grounds, to develop on and then walmart came in swinging their dicks and decided to build an Asda there instead

why not have a asda in the ground?

Do your shopping whilst at the rugby.

Whatever you end up doing, please God don't put a plastic pitch on it.

Apparently that's what they want to do if they buy the stadium, so they can try and rent it out when were not using it :(

Oh Christ.

How hard would it be for the RFU to step in and sort everyone's pitches out in the Premiership?!

They should all be the same, preferably the Desso Grassmaster stuff.

The days of regularly selling out Sixways are in the past unfortunately, but that's more down to what's been getting served up on the pitch in recent seasons than any national trend.

With sale it's not so much price but accessibility.
Public transport is a shambles and even driving you have to contend with horrendous traffic and either an expensive car park or a 15min walk or a free shuttle bus....which then gets caught in traffic
Add all that into a reasonably small fan base to start with and competing from all the football and league in the area....

Just a really terrible spot for a stadium
Does that add in to fact it's a Union team in a League stronghold mixed with Soccer teams. It's a hard area to draw or even expand support base.

Yup, and then you Chuck in that the north west has a really strong amateur rugby presence so the die hard rugby guys who are resisting the temptation of football and league are unavailable on Saturdays anyway cause they're playing themselves, so we go for Friday for home games and then have to contend with the worst traffic of the week.

It's a shame there isn't more of a spread of teams, mostly between the midlands and London. I live south central, and our closest club is London Irish or Quins. Either watch a game in an empty footballs stadium or spend a lot of money travelling to London.

So I became a Saints fan as my best mates supported Bath and Glos, so I could not follow either of them.

I try to get to games, but they're expensive and I have to drive.

Cant be the only one who gets annoyed seeing swatches of empty seats in top flight games. Prem looks down on last year.

Tigers- 22.5K 20K -Two pretty big games that would usually have been close to selling out. Down on 16/17.
2016/17
v Bath - 20134
v Glous - 20918
total - 41052

2017/18
v Bath - 22582
v Glous - 20008
total - 42580

So tigers up 1528.

No surpise we where down on glous due to the two losses but only down by 910.

5K at Irish for saints visit. Guessing that's poor.

14K at Quins for Tigers visit. Pretty average right?

14K at Bath for Falcons visit. Decent.

9k at Sarries for Sale visit. average for them

Nearly 12K at Exeter for Wasps visit. Decent.

Only 12k a Gloucester for Worcester visit? That's poor right?

It seems like the Premiership didn't take advantage of the world cup and capitalise, which is not surprising considering how conservative the majority of the clubs are.

The 07 world cup had a major impact on the Top 14 for instance and has grown domestic popularity. Shame really. Seems like 2015 world cup left no legacy at all.

Look, were all doing our best to forget the RWC15 okay?

You had to go and remind us didn't you!
Happy now?

It seems like the Premiership didn't take advantage of the world cup and capitalise, which is not surprising considering how conservative the majority of the clubs are.

The 07 world cup had a major impact on the Top 14 for instance and has grown domestic popularity. Shame really. Seems like 2015 world cup left no legacy at all.

RFU didn't help themselves by selecting football grounds over Rugby grounds in cases like Leicester. Also having 3 venues in London was complete madness as well as one in Brighton where there is no professional or semi professional rugby club.

Playing internationals in Manchester, Leeds and Newcastle would be a huge benefit.

RFU didn't help themselves by selecting football grounds over Rugby grounds in cases like Leicester. Also having 3 venues in London was complete madness as well as one in Brighton where there is no professional or semi professional rugby club.

Playing internationals in Manchester, Leeds and Newcastle would be a huge benefit.

The choice of stadium in Leicester probably was the wrong call but Tigers already have solid support and they did have debatable reasons for going with the football ground I guess.

Other than that football grounds were 100% the right decision, the rugby grounds are far too small and the point of the world cup is to try and expand the fan base and give the sport exposure which it did. You'd have to question if there was any sort of action plan from Premiership clubs or the PRL as an entity to use the world cup to grow their fan bases.

Having so many games in London probably wasn't the right call but they didn't exactly have much options with the premier clubs owning their stadiums. Brighton might not have a pro team but it seemed to fit the world cup really well. Could have gone with Southampton instead as it is a bigger City I suppose and further away from London.

I agree that the RFU should take games around the country. In any case both the RFU and PRL seemed focused on short term gains rather than long term growth.

It was also the only call in Leicester - Leicester Tigers didn't have a ground that met World Rugby standards. Of course they'd have played at Welly Rd if it had been available.
That it was too based in/around London is an absolutely fair and valid criticism though.

New Zealand, South Africa & Australia play their international fixtures all over their country - no idea why English rugby doesn't do the same. It would particularly make sense for the games that don't usually sell out at Twickenham like Barbarians, Fiji, Argentina etc.

Latest posts