• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Prem Attendances on the downward slope?

Average so far excluding the Twickenham fixtures.

Tigers : 21,784
Wasps: 17,858 (16,400 without the Tigers at the Ricoh fixture)
Bath: 14,439 -pretty clear a bigger ground is needed.
Quins: 14,142
Gloucs: 13,671
Saints: 13,547
Chiefs: 11,371
Saffacens: 8,207
Worcester: 7,846
Falcons: 7,570
Irish: 7,404
Sale: 5,642
Would playing less games, with none on international dates, mean better averages I wonder. Sometimes less is more, just because:-
1) more chance of seeing international players, I have been to 3 Big Games SAR v Har, and never seen full complement of internationals playing.
2) fixtures become more of a special event, rather than a constant.

If clubs plays LESS games, they would be able to have smaller squads, which would mean a greater spread of talent to maybe 14-16 teams.
The games would become more important as less time to 'catch up' over a season
Crowds would see top players rather than them being rested.
It is interesting to see that British sports, think that more games mean more money, which is not true.

Would playing less games, with none on international dates, mean better averages I wonder. Sometimes less is more, just because:-
1) more chance of seeing international players, I have been to 3 Big Games SAR v Har, and never seen full complement of internationals playing.
2) fixtures become more of a special event, rather than a constant.

If clubs plays LESS games, they would be able to have smaller squads, which would mean a greater spread of talent to maybe 14-16 teams.
The games would become more important as less time to 'catch up' over a season
Crowds would see top players rather than them being rested.
It is interesting to see that British sports, think that more games mean more money, which is not true.

I think that something definitely needs to happen. I'd argue that although the Top 14 has more games their squad sizes can absorb them better than the premiership squads can in terms of pure numbers. Either look at cutting down the number of games or expand the season which would force the clubs to expand squads. I think that the PRL also needs to set a maximum squad size, as well as a minimum salary cap spend. Properly penalising salary breaches as well would be good...

Update for you as the prem and stat bunker sites aren't quite right:

Tigers: 22,018 -set to rise further with Saints and Wasps home games and final game of the season.
Wasps: 17,155
Bath: 14,141
Quins: 13,158
Saints: 12,927 -above Glaws despite contrasting seasons
Glaws: 12,888
Chiefs: 11,454
Worcester: 8,455 -interestingly get more than Sarries even in current situations.
Saffacens: 8,425
Falcons: 7,506
Irish: 6,680 -massively distorted as the last few games there's been reports of only 2-3K through turnstiles.
Sale: 5,769

Last edited:
Definitely looking like the right move for wasps. Chiefs numbers a bit disappointing. Especially as they are looking at increasing their stadium size.

Wasps figures game-by-game compared to last year have actually dropped slightly.

Rise of Coventry Rugby and potential rise of Coventry City again would provide challenges.

Credit to Worcester though, hopefully they can start getting above 10K on the regular again.

Worth noting the Quins, Irish and Sarries figures exclude the Twickenham games.

Even in National League One (That's the third tier) Cov Rugby are getting around 2000 every game, no matter who they play. Our old school clashes Vs Moseley get closer to 3k.

The stadium is maxed out at 4k, but with plenty of room to expand, and a growing fan base we hope that we can become an important team in English Rugby again. The honours board is full of so many great names but it could do with some more recent ones :)

Its also a great atmosphere, Wasps is all good, but its still got that Football Stadium feel to it, its also has no local history. In fairness to Wasps they put a lot into the community so I won't criticise them for that. But a day at Cov Rugby is a proper Rugby experience. We will get promoted into The Championship next season and hopefully our improvement can continue :)

We have a lot of local rugby clubs in the city too, with a real identity, and a history of producing decent talent, it's good to see the CRFC embrace that after years of ignoring it, you see it when you go to the games, lots of kids from the local clubs are down, week in week out.

As for Coventry City, I don't hold out much hope of a rise anytime soon.

Even in National League One (That's the third tier) Cov Rugby are getting around 2000 every game, no matter who they play. Our old school clashes Vs Moseley get closer to 3k.

The stadium is maxed out at 4k, but with plenty of room to expand, and a growing fan base we hope that we can become an important team in English Rugby again. The honours board is full of so many great names but it could do with some more recent ones :)

Its also a great atmosphere, Wasps is all good, but its still got that Football Stadium feel to it, its also has no local history. In fairness to Wasps they put a lot into the community so I won't criticise them for that. But a day at Cov Rugby is a proper Rugby experience. We will get promoted into The Championship next season and hopefully our improvement can continue :)

We have a lot of local rugby clubs in the city too, with a real identity, and a history of producing decent talent, it's good to see the CRFC embrace that after years of ignoring it, you see it when you go to the games, lots of kids from the local clubs are down, week in week out.

As for Coventry City, I don't hold out much hope of a rise anytime soon.

Hows Deacon getting on down there and I take it Tuitupou is still smashing it up?

Hows Deacon getting on down there and I take it Tuitupou is still smashing it up?

Tuitupou has been out of the starting side the last few weeks but is quality, he's back in the starting XV tomorrow tho :D

Luke Narraway has been good for us too as player and coach

We're finding it all rather easy this season, a few minor blips, but we have enough pace and power and our fitness is so much better than some of team around us.

Last edited:
Tuitupou has been out of the starting side the last few weeks but is quality, he's back in the starting XV tomorrow tho :D

Luke Narraway has been good for us too as player and coach

We're finding it all rather easy this season, a few minor blips, but we have enough pace and power and our fitness is so much better than some of team around us.

Be interesting to see how you lot approach the Championship. You certainly have the crowds (will probably rise too) to compete. Sense that Tigers and/or Wasps will send you a couple players.

Definitely looking like the right move for wasps. Chiefs numbers a bit disappointing. Especially as they are looking at increasing their stadium size.

Chiefs numbers are disappointing but their stadium isnt very good tbh, they need to upgrade the stadoum in my opinion and i think they will get better attendance. Its rubbish stood behind the posts at sandy park/not enough good seats.

Latest posts