• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Cup 21/22

Even if Bath hammer Gloucester by 50 and start earning some confidence....
Meh

This competition is still a completely wasted opportunity and utterly meaningless to me.

For once I'm fairly pleased to play in it …

It probably comes at quite a good time for Quins.

It gives us a good opportunity to rest the guys who have played a lot of rugby and give some opportunities to our younger players like Riley, Baxter and Tizard and new signings who have yet to feature like Scotland-Williamson and David (I know he played last weekend). It's also good opportunity to get Louw and Lewies up to speed after injuries and give Edwards a couple more weeks to develop/Allan a couple more weeks to recover.

Aye Tigers really need it not had our bye week and a lot of players are sitting on a lot of rugby minutes. Also nice to go into the first break unbeaten shame our Bye is also at the end of it though.
My hope for tigers is that Whitcombe, Vanes, Ilione, Lancaster and Browning get good game time.

Yeah, we've got a number of players I hope get a proper run out

This is the first season of Prem Cup I'm actually happy is happening as there's a generation of academy players who have had minimal senior game time due to the cancellation of the A League and Prem Cup, the disruption of the championship and the suspension of semi-pro/amateur rugby for so long

This is the first season of Prem Cup I'm actually happy is happening as there's a generation of academy players who have had minimal senior game time due to the cancellation of the A League and Prem Cup, the disruption of the championship and the suspension of semi-pro/amateur rugby for so long
Now that's fair.

But I'd still far, far rather this was a competition including the Championship clubs, with a cap on the number of senior/capped players the Prem clubs are allowed.

Now that's fair.

But I'd still far, far rather this was a competition including the Championship clubs, with a cap on the number of senior/capped players the Prem clubs are allowed.
Yes, could play a similar system to Euro Cup.
24 teams, play 4 matches with 3 rounds of play offs.

So the Cov Telegraph has speculated at who we think Wasps may see out there.

1) Gordon Reid, 2) Dan Eckersley*/Dan Frost, 3)Biyi Alo/Pieter Scholtz, 4) Sebastian de Chaves, 5) Tim Cardall/Alfie Bell*, 6) Mario Pichardie*, 7) Kieran Curran, 8) Alfie Barbeary/Kofi Cripps*

9) Sam Wolstenholme/Ollie Monye*, 10) Tommy Mathews, 11) Tom Bacon*/Jude Williams*, 12) Ricki Ma'asi-White*, 13) Ollie Hartley*/Cameron Anderson, 14) Luke Mehson, 15) Ollie Dawkins*

* - current academy player

Quite excited to see the academy lads/younger lads get a go. To vocalise some of the earlier points, really would benefit from having Academy players come through from all clubs as they really haven't had a lot of game time.

Even if Bath hammer Gloucester by 50 and start earning some confidence....
Well... that won't be happening then; or even attempted.

Gloucester:
15. Kyle Moyle, 14. Alex Morgan, 13. Tom Seabrook, 12. Billy Twelvetrees, 11. Jake Morris, 10. Lloyd Evans, 9. Charlie Chapman
1. Harry Elrington, 2. Santiago Socino, 3. Fraser Balmain, 4. Freddie Clarke, 5. Andrew Davidson, 6. Ruan Ackermann 7. Lewis Ludlow (c), 8. Ben Morgan

16. Henry Walker, 17. Val Rapava-Ruskin, 18. Jamal Ford-Robinson, 19. Freddie Thomas, 20. Jack Clement, 21. Ben Meehan, 22. George Barton, 23. Louis Hillman-Cooper

Bath:
15 Darren Atkins, 14 Ruaridh McConnochie, 13 Max Ojomoh, 12 Will Butt, 11 Gabriel Hamer-Webb, 10 George Worboys, 9 Max Green
1 Arthur Cordwell, 2 Tom Dunn ©, 3 Kieran Verden, 4 Ewan Richards, 5 Will Spencer, 6 Jaco Coetzee, 7 Thompson Cowan, 8 Nahum Merigan

16 John Stewart, 17 Will Vaughan, 18 D'Arcy Rae, 19 Josh Dingley, 20 Richard de Carpentier, 21 Tom Carr-Smith, 22 Ciaran Donoghue, 23 Gabe Goss

Last edited:
Well... that won't be happening then; or even attempted.

Gloucester:
15. Kyle Moyle, 14. Alex Morgan, 13. Tom Seabrook, 12. Billy Twelvetrees, 11. Jake Morris, 10. Lloyd Evans, 9. Charlie Chapman
1. Harry Elrington, 2. Santiago Socino, 3. Fraser Balmain, 4. Freddie Clarke, 5. Andrew Davidson, 6. Ruan Ackermann 7. Lewis Ludlow (c), 8. Ben Morgan

16. Henry Walker, 17. Val Rapava-Ruskin, 18. Jamal Ford-Robinson, 19. Freddie Thomas, 20. Jack Clement, 21. Ben Meehan, 22. George Barton, 23. Louis Hillman-Cooper

Bath:
15 Darren Atkins, 14 Ruaridh McConnochie, 13 Max Ojomoh, 12 Will Butt, 11 Gabriel Hamer-Webb, 10 George Worboys, 9 Max Green
1 Arthur Cordwell, 2 Tom Dunn ©, 3 Kieran Verden, 4 Ewan Richards, 5 Will Spencer, 6 Jaco Coetzee, 7 Thompson Cowan, 8 Nahum Merigan

16 John Stewart, 17 Will Vaughan, 18 D'Arcy Rae, 19 Josh Dingley, 20 Richard de Carpentier, 21 Tom Carr-Smith, 22 Ciaran Donoghue, 23 Gabe Goss
It's a shame as Glaws have such a talented academy and squad. I look at someone like Jack Clement/George Barton, they are hugely talented and need starting game time. What will they learn playing Ben Morgan for 60 mins and not using Clement?

Actually a little pissed off about that - I know that one of the things I dislike about this competition is mis-matches like this, but this is pretty extreme.

That Gloucester squad has >3 times the first-class appearances than the Bath squad.
Twelvetrees, Balmain and Morgan have more appearances than the entire Bath 23. Take out 36 and Dunn (each teams most capped) and Balmain and Morgan between them have about as much experience as the entire Bath 22.
Gloucester's bench is about as experienced as Bath's 23-minus-Dunn
Gloucester 23 have 10 times as many caps as the Bath 23 - even if you take out Billy and Ben, it's pretty even - and that's including Tom Dunn for 3 caps, averaging 6 minutes apiece.

And it's consistent across the teams; the starting backs are 3:1 in experience; the starting packs are 3:1 in experience; the benches are 3.25:1
The only unit where Bath can compete on experience is the back 3 (mostly McConnochie)

Anything less than a 30-point spanking will be massively to Bath's credit

23.10.21_Leicester_Away_TeamNewsWEBSITE.jpg

ngl, there's a couple names in there I'm not aware of
Like the backline though

Wasps.PNG

Very new team for us.

Reid, Van Vuuren, Alo, Cardall, De Chaves, Tyas (London Scottish), Pichardie (Academy), Tunney (Academy),
Wolstenholme, Mathews, Dawkins (Academy), Hartley (Academy), Ma'asi White (Academy), Mehson, Anderson

Bench: Eckersley (Academy), Nearchou (Academy), Scholtz, Bell (Academy), Cripps (Academy), Monye (Academy), Bennett (Ampthill), Simpson (Hartpury)

Very excited to see how they go and really looking forward to seeing Hartley and Ma'asi White in the centres. Hartley was U18s with Atkinson and Ma'asi White has been doing great things with Birmingham.

Also Ugo's nephew on the Wasps bench at scrum half in Ollie Monye.

Not gonna lie, I think I know about two names on that list

No Barbeary at hooker? ;)

Newcastle XV

15 Tom Penny (captain), 14 Alex Tait, 13 George Wacokecoke, 12 Max Wright, 11 Iwan Stephens, 10 Joel Hodgson, 9 Cameron Nordli-Kelemeti; 1 Kyle Cooper, 2 Robbie Smith, 3 Mark Tampin, 4 Will Montgomery, 5 Matthew Dalton, 6 Josh Basham, 7 Connor Collett, 8 Gary Graham.

Bench: McGuigan, Brantingham, Mulipola, Farrar, Marshall, Blackett, Haydon-Wood, Kerr

Newcastle putting a fairly strong first team squad out. Only Stephens in starting line up is Academy (on technicality) and then Brantingham, Haydon-Wood, Kerr and Blackett on bench.

Not gonna lie, I think I know about two names on that list

No Barbeary at hooker? ;)
Not being risked i believe due to artifical pitch.

We really are down to bare bones but will be fun to see some of the youngsters play first team rugby. Much like Glaws though, Newcastle not really mucking about.

Newcastle Falcons team v Wasps (Saturday, 3pm, Kingston Park Stadium)

15 Tom Penny (captain),
14 Alex Tait,
13 George Wacokecoke,
12 Max Wright,
11 Iwan Stephens,
10 Joel Hodgson,
9 Cameron Nordli-Kelemeti;

1 Kyle Cooper,
2 Robbie Smith,
3 Mark Tampin,
4 Will Montgomery,
5 Matthew Dalton,
6 Josh Basham,
7 Connor Collett,
8 Gary Graham.

Replacements: 16 George McGuigan, 17 Phil Brantingham, 18 Logovi'i Mulipola, 19 Rob Farrar, 20 Tom Marshall, 21 James Blackett, 22 Will Haydon-Wood, 23 Zach Kerr.

Referee: Alex Thomas.

Latest posts