• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 21/22 - Rd 24

Start to win on the pitch and he'll start to win in here. He needs to back up his left field decisions with results that back them up.

Start to win on the pitch and he'll start to win in here. He needs to back up his left field decisions with results that back them up.
This. Most of the flak Jones gets is because he goes for some ideas that fly in the face of convention and many times don't work. He then takes ages to recognise it isn't working. If he was doing this but then winning, I'm sure most people would be much more quiet but it's the fact he is doing this and churning out some record worst performances that he is in this situation. His "no win" is largely of his own making. I can't really think of any of his team or tactical choices that have been forced on him by circumstance, they have largely been his decisions, or forced based on previous decisions (eg how few scrum halves have had experience under him).

I can understand a coach sticking by their tactics when they are winning and maybe not trying the flavour of the month, Jones has been sticking by his tactics and choices when he has been losing, steadfastly refusing to recognise his fault or looking at alternatives that might improve the situation. He only really changes when forced (injuries / Lions) or when he hits rock bottom (5th in the 6N).

Yeah... irritating, when we went from 39-14 at 67mins to 42-42 at final score, it does lead to some questions. The inability to secure the ball with 3 seconds to go and for Porter to kick it off the pitch was a massive blow especially as if we had won, it would have put pressure on Sale/Saints/Glaws
I agree, defence is so questionable at periods and as you say blowing a lead, only thing is I think success this season would be a struggle regardless so part of me would rather the group learn from it and move on next season, if we can keep key players fit the core is very strong and I expect them to be there or there abouts next season, pretty excited about Koch, hoping he will add some ballast and grit which has lacked at times.

Latest posts