• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 22/23 - Rd 2

Hill injured, as are most of their big spenders - those of us who enjoy tinfoil headwear could say that that's a big coincidence, but tbh I reckon Hill would go out there and play for free, he loves it/loves Worcester

So it appears Quins request to play Smith has been rejected due to the England rest period but Sarries are ok to play Farrell, Vunipola x2, George and Itoje...? Am I missing something here? Surely the laws should have clear cutoffs but it seems there is a massive inconsistency in how they are applied. Teams need predictability and if one team basically starts all their England internationals whilst another isn't allowed to under identical circumstances then something is very wrong and those making the decisions need to be called into question.

So it appears Quins request to play Smith has been rejected due to the England rest period but Sarries are ok to play Farrell, Vunipola x2, George and Itoje...? Am I missing something here? Surely the laws should have clear cutoffs but it seems there is a massive inconsistency in how they are applied. Teams need predictability and if one team basically starts all their England internationals whilst another isn't allowed to under identical circumstances then something is very wrong and those making the decisions need to be called into question.
Did Smith play more club rugby than the others last year?
Sanderson talks about the protocols in the first three mins of this video and says that club minutes also play a factor in an early release

It is a very weird decision though, it's not like his body went through the ringer more than the forwards who have come back sooner
Sanderson does say part of it is the mental aspect - that could be a factor

Times like this is when the rules need to clear and there needs to be transparency on the decision, because when it doesn't make sense, people lose trust.

It would if rules that say "madatory 10 week rest between final game of one season and first game of the next season" meant... exactly that, rather than "10 weeks rest... spread as you like over a 6 month period, so feel free to give them a break on weekends they wouldn't have been playing anyway, and count that towards their EPS rest period" - like it has this year, for the first time in the 15 or so years that the EPS agreement has existed.

No shit, once Exeter and Bristol were given permission to ignore the rest periods, everyone else was going to try.

I'm sure Marcus's 1550 minutes were a lot more wearing than Owen's 1990 minutes

Last edited:
Saints vs Irish has been a weird first half,
Complete dominance by Irish for about 30mins, but still find themselves down on the scoreboard and then lose two players to injury and get three yellow cards

Yeah, I think he crouches more than Ridley thinks, but not enough, and it's not news that you just have to go low.

Massive scrum, doesn't bode well

Harper was out on loan to the National leagues to return from injury but called back due to Oosthuizens failed HIA last week
Gonna be a long afternoon if that's the standard, hopefully just needs to warm into the game

Latest posts