• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 22/23 - Rd 6

Disappointing half from a Quins POV. Tigers haven't played much rugby but have stopped us playing very effectively.

Still, blatant forward pass prior to the second try.

Good suffocating performance by Tigers. Template on how to play the likes of Quins or Saints.

Quins really do miss Dombrandt though.

For all the previous comments about Murley and Northmore, neither looks above good club player to me. Great chase by JvP but no wing with international aspirations with an open field and a head start should ever get chased down by a scrum half.

In yesterday's games both Daly and Lawrence impressing again. Daly looks rejuvenated and I'd have no problems with him being in the mix for England at 13.

no wing with international aspirations with an open field and a head start should ever get chased down by a scrum half
This is just silly, not all wingers are just run straight and fast merchants, or else every intl winger would be Christian Wade.

Plenty of intl wingers who could be chased down by scrum halves who have played 55 min less

Of course there's much more to being a good winger than straight line speed, but I'd still expect any wing with international aspirations to be taking chances like that regardless of how many minutes they've played.

Good suffocating performance by Tigers. Template on how to play the likes of Quins or Saints.

Quins really do miss Dombrandt though.

For all the previous comments about Murley and Northmore, neither looks above good club player to me. Great chase by JvP but no wing with international aspirations with an open field and a head start should ever get chased down by a scrum half.

In yesterday's games both Daly and Lawrence impressing again. Daly looks rejuvenated and I'd have no problems with him being in the mix for England at 13.
I'm with you re. Northmore, but your comments on Murley are exceptionally harsh.

The guy rarely puts in less than an 8/10 performance and when he's not making clean breaks or scoring tries, he's putting in excellent defensive work. I honestly wouldn't swap him for any other winger in the league.

Anthony Watson played for 80mins but I only saw him making two high tackles early and scoring a try late in the game. In between, he was invisible. That doesn't mean I'd dismiss him as an international though.

I'm with you re. Northmore, but your comments on Murley are exceptionally harsh.

The guy rarely puts in less than an 8/10 performance and when he's not making clean breaks or scoring tries, he's putting in excellent defensive work. I honestly wouldn't swap him for any other winger in the league.

Anthony Watson played for 80mins but I only saw him making two high tackles early and scoring a try late in the game. In between, he was invisible. That doesn't mean I'd dismiss him as an international though.
I'm not saying he's not a very good player, he is. All I'm saying is that I've not seen a point of difference that separates the top class international from the good and today's footrace highlighted that for me. I see serious gas as fundamental to a wing as scrummaging is to a prop and I've been down on both Nowell and Malins for that reason.

Watson was largely anonymous and right now I wouldn't have him in an England squad either. But he's still feeling his way back after a major injury and he'll be there or thereabouts once he hits his straps. I'd still have backed him to finish that chance though.

Anyhow when's Dombrandt due back?

OTOH:
2 tries for Murley against a very good Tigers side
His break made the try for Care; he retained the ball even though he was caught
It seems easier to run without the ball than with it
JvP has some serious wheels himself
Wasn't it Ruck who claimed Murley had been measured at faster than LRZ?

I'm biased, because I'd love to see England pick a couple of attacking wingers and try to score some tries (I see Nadolo was terminally embarrassed in defence again today, rushed out of line, turned like supertanker, but he's still a threat going forward...)

Quins tweeted the clip for the Murley break/Care try. JvP comes off the floor to chase Murley down, but Murley is running a diagonal line back towards JvP, who is running parallel to the touchline.

Murley's break starts with having to pick the ball up, then a step to beat two defenders. Excellent pace from both of them, be interesting to see them in a straight-line race...

Either way, only 5 Leicester players get back onside and there are 8 or nine Quins players left to finish off the move.

Had to laugh at one point in the Quins game. Smith did his hitch kick and whoever he passed to immediately did likewise.

Latest posts