• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 22/23 - Rd 9

Not sure what the decline is about, but Exe are just not the same team from Mauls or in close quarters in seasons gone by they managed to turn the majority of those situations into points, that paired with exceptional fitness allowed them to run away with it in the last quarter.
One thing for me is that before everyone was on the same page in the entire squad, this led to losing players being less of an issue, but alot of new/young faces will take a time to get up to speed.

Also tactics, in a time everyone was kicking we kept possession, and when everyone was kicking penalties we kicked to the corner. But our tactics now i see glimpses of things but nothing thay new or different.

Not sure how this season is turned around as while our new signings seem good they arnt great. Or not yet anyway.

Not sure what the decline is about, but Exe are just not the same team from Mauls or in close quarters in seasons gone by they managed to turn the majority of those situations into points, that paired with exceptional fitness allowed them to run away with it in the last quarter.
Pure conjecture, but I don't think you can underestimate the effect that losing the ball if you're held up has had on them.

On top of that, the squad is ageing and the conveyer belt of talent (both recruiting project players and bringing through academy talent) hasn't worked as well over the past few years as it had up to that point. My pet theory is that Robin Cowling having less involvement over the past few years is too much of a coincidence to ignore.

I would've taken a LBP pre game so happy with the win, but feels like we left a TBP out there with some stupidity from Barrow on the tryline when we had penalty advantage

Think this referee was on his debut? Pretty crap tbf, to both sides though so probably evens out
We scored a try with a very dodgy looking pass in the build up, but then he called a forward pass when we were under the sticks (which looked backwards live and was shown to be backwards on reply) and Gloucester scored a try off of the resulting scrum

Injuries to Raffi and Ben Curry a concern, but we've a week off next week so hopefully some ice and ibuprofen and they'll be grand

Watching my first love match sinc e R2
Gods this is boring

Not terrible like previously, just... boring

Oooh look, something interesting has happened.
Joseph on for McConnochie (injury?) But Lawrence goes to wing, not JJ (ETA, and now Ojomo)
Yes. That counts as "interesting" this afternoon.
NZ v France this is not.

Last edited:
Reckon we'll get pumped,
We've already lost our mojo, and then remove our internationals plus injuries to Wiese and Curry last week means we're going to be disjointed as hell

Gloucester missing a few players but in good form and full of confidence

Honestly surprised you thought that given our record at Sale over the years as I wasn't surprised by the result at all and would have been elated had we come away with even a point!

As for the referee I think they said on BT he was. I too thought the pass was fine so I'm wondering if he was evening it up for everything that was discussed in the build up to the Curry try (the passes and Kyle Moyle looking like he was taken out chasing his kick).

Not sure what Barrow was thinking at the end either especially on a penalty advantage and going for a bonus point as well. Luckily for him it was near the end and we seemed to do everything but score today.

As for the referee I think they said on BT he was. I too thought the pass was fine so I'm wondering if he was evening it up for everything that was discussed in the build up to the Curry try (the passes and Kyle Moyle looking like he was taken out chasing his kick).
I think the moyle tackle was fine, Harrison had hands on his shirt before the kick and just completed the tackle - I think they'd just rule it as him being committed before the kick
I was glad they didn't formally check the pass though....

My prediction was more to do with current form - Glaws were flying high but we looked like we had about 20mins rugby in us
Today we had 20mins attack but luckily the defence held out for the rest
Tbh I didn't realise how badly hit Gloucester's backline was by internationals/injury
Throw one, maybe two, missing players in and I think it'd be a different result - even just to tell the 9s to stop box kicking in our 22

Awful playing conditions, but ground out another win. Still curious to see how the team fares when the European and international fixtures start taking their toll.

Latest posts