• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 23/24 - Rd 8

On paper Falcons should have a pretty decent first XV.
I don't think they have signed that well, I feel like they prob could've done better even with the lack of spending.

Like de Chaves is an odd signing. Surely you could find better locks in the championship or even 3rd choices at some prem clubs.
I would be interested in how much some of the young Wasps, Worcester and Irish players was going for.

Also Alex Codling knew what the situation was so not sure on the surprise
Complains about the lack of experiance and size but then doesn't play his two locks that have the size and experiance in McDonald and Cardell? He knew what Tigers would do which is maul and play in the forwards.

One try last week and would their even be this discussion after this result?
I can't disagree about some of his selections..McDonald has been very good..and yet gets dropped for De Chaves who offers so little around the park bar the lineout which has sucked big time all season...similarly, Cardall who also has been very good yet dropped.

I think we would still be having this conversation. Fearns has alluded to all the players who have gone...but with all of them we failed miserably aswell.

We should have kept some of them...so clearly there's a big issue with the whole planning.

Do i want to be in Wasps, LI position etc...no clearly not...however existing as the perennial premeirship cannon fodder is not actually desirable either.

So again the question has to go to the board....what the hell is going on. The fact that the Thompsons are back in charge..is another concern

Last edited:
I think in hindsight Richards should have been moved on sooner.

But Falcons cap spending is sometimes odd
Bello - Argentine International so won't be dirt cheap, but he underperforming in a top Sarries pack so not sure why Falcons thought he would be right with them. Alo was available and would've been cheaper, also a proven Prem player.
Moroni/Orlando who both seem to be basically 13's most of their career is a weird cap distribution for example. Two international 13's and then the likes of Jennings at 12
van Vuuren/McCallum/de Chaves - all proven journeymen.

Exactly Slade aside and possibly Hawkins(not sure how much he's on but it wont be that much), think out our starting back line,

Cairns Skinner
Hawkins Slade
Hammersley Hodge Feyi-Waboso

And say least half of them wont will be on their first senior contract so not paid much. What sort of Salary do we think they will be paid?

I wonder what Jenkins/Tshiunza are on, internations but very young?
Looks like Tshiunza is still on a 4 year academy deal that ends this year, so getting him for a bargain. Can't see confirmation about Jenkins but based on his age when he signed I assume he's on the same.

Bello - Argentine International so won't be dirt cheap, but he underperforming in a top Sarries pack so not sure why Falcons thought he would be right with them. Alo was available and would've been cheaper, also a proven Prem player.
Moroni/Orlando who both seem to be basically 13's most of their career is a weird cap distribution for example. Two international 13's and then the likes of Jennings at 12
I agree with most of this, although Jennings was actually decent for Irish and is reasonable and cost-effective pick up.

Fearns always seems to be bitter about something, but he does have a point.

The things is, the French clubs - even those in D2 - probably have more spending power than the Prem clubs are able to put in to their squad players. The likes of Peterson or Graham might not have been expensive to renew, but from the players' POV, if it's the choice between staying at Falcons or topping up their retirement funds in France, it's easy to see why they left.

Absolutely spot on, and your litterally echoing what we have said on the Falcons board for years. Incredibly bad recruitment planning etc.

We have been crying out for a Good 10 for years...but we assign budget to positions we can cover well through our academy etc.

Why bring in Moroni when we had Orlando, Stevenson and Penny...

I agree with most of this, although Jennings was actually decent for Irish and is reasonable and cost-effective pick up.

Fearns always seems to be bitter about something, but he does have a point.

The things is, the French clubs - even those in D2 - probably have more spending power than the Prem clubs are able to put in to their squad players. The likes of Peterson or Graham might not have been expensive to renew, but from the players' POV, if it's the choice between staying at Falcons or topping up their retirement funds in France, it's easy to see why they left.
Word is that Peterson and Robinson were struggling for a contract elsewhere...so were they pushed. Why on earth get rid of Sean Robinson...hes a class act...at both Lock or 6. Mind blowing decision.

Ironically the one under the radar signing that has been excellent is John Hawkins...hes realy shone at 6...but then they drop McDonald and Cardall and move him to lock? and put Rubilo at 6? Its totally baffling.

Absolutely spot on, and your litterally echoing what we have said on the Falcons board for years. Incredibly bad recruitment planning etc.

We have been crying out for a Good 10 for years...but we assign budget to positions we can cover well through our academy etc.

Why bring in Moroni when we had Orlando, Stevenson and Penny...
Good fly halves are very hard to come by, especially on a budget and in a lower table team so always going to struggle to fill that. Don't seem to have players like Andy Goode knocking around the prem any more, older fly halves who could come in and do a job.

Good fly halves are very hard to come by, especially on a budget and in a lower table team so always going to struggle to fill that. Don't seem to have players like Andy Goode knocking around the prem any more, older fly halves who could come in and do a job.
And i understand that...most falcons do. But around the globe there must be a few candidates who can meet the criteria we want...especially when you consider we do have a very good academy record of producing other positions...

At the moment we have Louis Johnson just starting to come in...and for once he looks a cracker...but very young and inexperienced...obviously.

They were linked with James Grayson for a good while. While he's not necessarily a starting Premiership 10, he's at least as good as Connon.

They were linked with James Grayson for a good while. While he's not necessarily a starting Premiership 10, he's at least as good as Connon.
Theyve really given everything to Connon...but hes just not good enough. Even if we are relegated i think he'll be moved on.

The Falcons should have a look at some of those Georgians, many great forwards with size. Would love to see some more of them in the Prem, even some of the backs that play for that Black Lions team would be a great pick up and should also be very affordable.

Was just catching up on some rugby podcasts, but a crazy start that I just learnt is that Sarries have only lost at home 13 times in 11 years, and 5 of those defeats were at the hands of Northampton.

Ive been watching Black Bird on Apple tv and I have decided Taron Egerton looks like Alex Goode

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231219-190621.png
    Screenshot_20231219-190621.png
    644.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20231219-190611.png
    Screenshot_20231219-190611.png
    609.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20231219-190427.png
    Screenshot_20231219-190427.png
    945.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20231219-190406.png
    Screenshot_20231219-190406.png
    1 MB · Views: 4
Rumours circulating now that a certain company with sporting links up the road have made a bid for the falcons and had it rejected....

Is it good that it was rejected?
Its one of those isnt it.

But theres many Falcons fans who've openly said they wouldnt go back...

But The way i see it...this company are major stakeholders in huge aspects of our life already....Facebook, Costa, Boeing etc etc etc...so where you do take a stance. Id say sod it and welcome some money...

Latest posts