• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 23/24 - Rd 8

Itoje not really showing great leadership today unfortunately but saints showing some great determination today.
Lawes and Pearson looking awesome!

Really odd results this weekend, especially in terms of score lines, few would have called them.
Think it's showing where teams are closing to rest and teams not.
Table seems to show especially if tigers get 5 on Sunday.
That a whole lot of dross or some really good competition.
Others can decide on that.
1 win separates top 6.
1 win bar top 2 separates champions cup.
Bottom 2 however seem out in short season.
Personally need to add a team but who knows who or what they maybe.

I've supported the Falcons and formerly Newcastle Gosforth for a LONG time.

i played for Gosforth in the age group teams ( before they become the falcons) before moving to my local club at the coast. I'm a very positive person and every year, despite rhe previous year...i come back with pre season optimism and positive thinking...

But supporting them now is just boring with little hope...and I just wonder if there's a time to give up and just go to my local club instead each week.

We just can't compete financially so we are never going to make any headway...and nothing will change from being standard bottom dwellers.

I actually hope we go down this season as it will make my mind up for me.

Poor Falcons. The Prem better support them somehow as it goes without saying the impact them going would have on the Premiership itself.

I've supported the Falcons and formerly Newcastle Gosforth for a LONG time.

i played for Gosforth in the age group teams ( before they become the falcons) before moving to my local club at the coast. I'm a very positive person and every year, despite rhe previous year...i come back with pre season optimism and positive thinking...

But supporting them now is just boring with little hope...and I just wonder if there's a time to give up and just go to my local club instead each week.

We just can't compete financially so we are never going to make any headway...and nothing will change from being standard bottom dwellers.

I actually hope we go down this season as it will make my mind up for me.
Exactly why, there needs to be a complete reset with the premiership, along the lines of the NFL.

Proper revenue sharing, limited squad sizes, open and strict salary caps.
The days of clubs being held up by benefactors has to stop, otherwise we will be left with less an less teams and a failing product.

Exactly why, there needs to be a complete reset with the premiership, along the lines of the NFL.

Proper revenue sharing, limited squad sizes, open and strict salary caps.
The days of clubs being held up by benefactors has to stop, otherwise we will be left with less an less teams and a failing product.
Guarantee that would be the death of professional rugby in England

Probably headed that way anyway, but that wouldn't last two seasons

Apparently Alex Codling has done a very emotional from the heart interview...and there will be an announcement and club statement tomorrow...haven't seen it yet.
Wonder what it is...

Hate to say it, but Codling never stays anywhere for long …

Just seen the interview...and he's basically said what all the fans have said for years.

We have some amazing young relent but we litterally have no money to bring in top class senior players to match the rest. And also have a big set of class coaches.

We are at a crossroads....we either bring in serious investment or I actually we'll be gone soon.

I think this is the death of English rugby tbh. This will be the 4th(?) club to collapse in 6 years. London Welsh, Worcester, London Irish, Wasps. If Falcons go too, the league gets to a point where it is too small to be viable. There simply isn't the money in rugby due to years of mismanagement, the game simply isn't popular enough and nobody in charge seems to have a clue how to fix it.

Also watching the Bath - Exeter game, Underhill has worked on his running lines and carrying a lot. Still some work to be done but he seems to be a decent carrying option at 7 now.

Last edited:
Smithy is our communications office and also on the falcons forum alot.

It's all very well saying our finances are OK but to what level. If this is the level we stay at then what's the point...and it's unfair on the rest of the league...like having a bye weekend you can just send your reserve team...

I mean I guess the point is playing top flight rugby
The club is financially secure which is a big plus.
Falcons was one score from beating Exeter, Saints and Gloucester.

I think people should maybe calm down a bit.

If Irish, Worcester and Wasps had taken this approach we might have a 13 team league still....

I mean I guess the point is playing top flight rugby
The club is financially secure which is a big plus.
Falcons was one score from beating Exeter, Saints and Gloucester.

I think people should maybe calm down a bit.

If Irish, Worcester and Wasps had taken this approach we might have a 13 team league still....
It's not an over reaction though this is from a long term frustration.

Bar one fluke season it's been like this for years and years....I don't think other fans quite appreciate the situation.

It's not an over reaction though this is from a long term frustration.

Bar one fluke season it's been like this for years and years....I don't think other fans quite appreciate the situation.

I get the frustration but it's all perspective though. It's not like Falcons have another buyer so it's either this or go back down the rankings.
Reality is this is prob why a well funded second division comes in handy.

What would you rather this or be like Wasps or Irish?

On paper Falcons should have a pretty decent first XV.
I don't think they have signed that well, I feel like they prob could've done better even with the lack of spending.

Like de Chaves is an odd signing. Surely you could find better locks in the championship or even 3rd choices at some prem clubs.
I would be interested in how much some of the young Wasps, Worcester and Irish players was going for.

Also Alex Codling knew what the situation was so not sure on the surprise
Complains about the lack of experiance and size but then doesn't play his two locks that have the size and experiance in McDonald and Cardell? He knew what Tigers would do which is maul and play in the forwards.

One try last week and would their even be this discussion after this result?

On paper Falcons should have a pretty decent first XV.
I don't think they have signed that well, I feel like they prob could've done better even with the lack of spending.

Like de Chaves is an odd signing. Surely you could find better locks in the championship or even 3rd choices at some prem clubs.
I would be interested in how much some of the young Wasps, Worcester and Irish players was going for.

Also Alex Codling knew what the situation was so not sure on the surprise
Complains about the lack of experiance and size but then doesn't play his two locks that have the size and experiance in McDonald and Cardell? He knew what Tigers would do which is maul and play in the forwards.

One try last week and would their even be this discussion after this result?
Exeter reasonable comparison, I know they'll be spending more but could be next lowest in the league? They've brought in lots of cheap players but are getting much more out of them and targeted Wales for eg as they knew they could get deals there. Obvious difference is they also have Slade, who's looked great.

Exeter reasonable comparison, I know they'll be spending more but could be next lowest in the league? They've brought in lots of cheap players but are getting much more out of them and targeted Wales for eg as they knew they could get deals there. Obvious difference is they also have Slade, who's looked great.
Exactly Slade aside and possibly Hawkins(not sure how much he's on but it wont be that much), think out our starting back line,

Cairns Skinner
Hawkins Slade
Hammersley Hodge Feyi-Waboso

And say least half of them wont will be on their first senior contract so not paid much. What sort of Salary do we think they will be paid?

I wonder what Jenkins/Tshiunza are on, internations but very young?

Latest posts