• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Preseason Friendlies

M

MunsterMan

Why not start a thread?

If you are attending a preseason match or just feel like posting about one do it in here I suppose.

Munster v Sale Sharks
</span>

Musgrave park, Friday August 14th, 19.00. (not televised)

<div class=\'quotetop\'>QUOTE </div><div class=\'quotemain\'><span style="color:#FF0000">MUNSTER:
S Deasy; D Riordan, T Gleeson, P Warwick (capt), D Barnes; J Manning, T Morland; D Ryan, D Varley, S Archer; B Holland, I Nagle; N Williams, T O’Donnell, K Essex.

Replacements: M Sherry, J Brugnaut, D O’Callaghan, E Grace, C Murray, A Burke, F Ahern, D Kilcoyne, B Hayes, R O’Mahony, D Cusack

SALE SHARKS: N MacLeod, M Vakacefu, C Bell, L Thomas, O Ripol, C Hodgson (captain), W Cliff, R. O’Donnell, N Briggs, J Forester, C Jones, B Cockbain, J Gaskell, D Seymour, D Tait.

Replacements: M Halsall, G Kerry, M Jones, J Jones, R Glynn, S Kuaday, A Tuilagi, J Kennedy, B Roberts, M Atkinson.[/b][/quote]

Strong Sale team, weak Munster team. I'm expecting an uphill struggle, but it hopefully won't be a hammering.

A 2nd string (2 halves, 2 different teams) Saints last night beat Bordeaux-Begles 14-19 in France.

TIMELINE:
14mins SAINTS Try Diggin 0-5
24mins BEGLES Miss pen Lagarde
33mins SAINTS Try F Lobbe Con Everitt 0-12
39mins BEGLES Try Monzeglio Con Lagarde 7-12
HALF-TIME BEGLES 7 SAINTS 12
43mins SAINTS Try Ashton Con Reihana 7-19
78mins BEGLES Try Mallet Con Lopez 14-19
FULL-TIME BEGLES 14 SAINTS 19

Next up;

Fri 21 Aug 19:30 Saints v Bedford Blues - Franklin's Gardens

Sat 22 Aug 13:00 Saints v ***ans - Franklin's Gardens

Fri 28 Aug 19:30 Blues v Saints - Cardiff City Stadium

Sat 29 Aug 15:00 Saints v Nottingham - Franklin's Gardens

Munster are playing Leicester away and London Irish at home as well.

O'Roth, Players who went on summer tours won't be a part of pre seasons games, and Buckley played for both Ireland and Ireland 'A'.

Leinster are playing London Irish in Donnybrook on the 28th. I should have a ticket sorted so I'll let you know then.

Munster 19 - 17 Sale

Fooking great result there, especially seeing as the last play of the game was Tuilagi taking three Munster defenders over the try line with him after patient build up but knocking it on.

Scott Deasy is class, It was like watching Earls at the start of last season, except he is better under the high ball. Conjured up Munster's try from thin air, after doing the same earlier in the game to put Riordan in in the corner only to be tackled in to touch.

Warwick, Manning and Nagle (f***ing pshyco haha) were good too, and Danny Barnes looks fearless, especially after he picked up Vakacefu, who looked twice his size and dumped him into touch.

Very promising result, future looks bright, now they have to do it again next week against London Irish.

How was Archer? He was pretty good at UCC but i was surprised to see him make the jump to Munster

TBH i'm happy with that result, i was expecting us to get munched after losing quite a few 'big' players

Sale's O'Donnell was giving Archer and Brugnaut a tough time of it at scrum time, so I can't really fault him, he seemed hungry enough early on, and carried quite a bit but kind of faded and was replaced by Brugnaut at half time.

The brumbies (s14 minus their internationals) toured France with four pre_season games against top 14 opponents:

24 juillet : Bourgoin/Brumbies 20-12
28 juillet : Bayonne/Brumbies 37-21
31 juillet : Perpignan/Brumbies 0-17
6 août : Toulon/Brumbies 20-6

Weakened but fit Brumbies lost 3 won 1 against top 14 teams, unfit and without their international players too

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Cardiff Blues 5-14 Leicester
Leicester Tigers fought back from 5-3 down at half-time to beat Cardiff Blues on the hosts' opening night at their new home venue, Cardiff City Stadium.

_46247109_alfie_caught_210809.jpg

Julian White is among the Tigers holding Gareth Thomas back

Ceri Sweeney's try overtook Jeremy Staunton's penalty in the first-half in front of 15,843 fans.
Staunton added two more penalties as Leicester dominated after the break.

Jordan Crane, who kicked the winning Heineken Cup semi-final shoot-out penalty against the Blues in May, touched down from a close-range scrum.

Cardiff Blues squad:
Backs: Chris Czekaj, Richard Mustoe, Dafydd James, Gavin Evans, Gareth Thomas, Ceri Sweeney, Dai Flanagan, Gareth Cooper, Richie Rees.
Forwards: Xavier Rush, Robin Sowden-Taylor, Sam Warburton, Maama Molitika, Andries Pretorius, Bradley Davies, Scott Morgan, Deiniol Jones, Paul ***o, T Rhys Thomas, Gareth Williams, Gary Powell, Darren Morris, Sam Hobbs, Taufa'ao Filise.[/b]

from BBC Sport: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_unio...ues/8213106.stm

I missed this game because I ha work t the pub I work at, but I asked a bloke with a Blues shirt on how they did, and he said ''Oh they got hammered, it was like Tag Rugby in the first half''
14 - 5 with a very weakened backline, and missing a few big names in the pack is hardly a hammering :huh:

It wasn't a hammering by a long stretch. To many basic errors by Cardiff and Leicester just played very sensible rugby. Not to mention Leicester had alot of the big boys out...

Had the Blues kept the team they had in the first half, they would have won the game.

I felt Cardiff where trying to entertain the crowd, (They knocked every single penalty into the corner, missing about 20 points in the process, running the ball or up 'n' undering it, not kicknig of touch, ect) while the Tigers -Typcially, of an English club- where purely focused on winning, winning, winning.

We beat Leeds this afternoon 35-20, with tries from Jonny Vaughton, Barry Davies, Jamie Nutbrown, Ben Lewis (HE'S BAAACK! YEEEEESS!!) and Sonny Parker; with Jerry Collins making a positive impression when coming off the bench :)
http://www.ospreysrugby.com/rugby/2977.php

We now have Gloucester at Kingsholm next Saturday, which I am severely tempted to go to. Any others fancy it??!

Bristol's 2009/10 pre-season officially ended today with a 26-8 win over National One side Newbury.

Yeah!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Aug 22 2009, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ben Lewis (HE'S BAAACK! YEEEEESS!!)[/b]

Yup, it's great news all round. Appears he's managed to make a good come back after 2 years out. Hope he can kick on from here, he's a great prospect to challenge Warberton for the Wales 7 shirt.

Oh yeh, and wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

2 Wins for Saints,

24-7 against Bedford on Friday evening, All of Saints points in the first half, Blues try came in the 2nd. Second half was boring SH style aimless kicking ********, I welcomed the final whistle.
35-21 against Rotherham on Saturday, A better match, but aside from a nice break from Ashton & Foden, nothing much to get excited about. Saints scrum was also ****.

Lots to work on before September.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
while the Tigers -Typcially, of an English club- where purely focused on winning, winning, winning.[/b]

you say that like it's a bad thing

Latest posts