• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Press Corps - get involved

S

St Helens RLFC

TRF wants YOU to get involved! We have 5 positions open for the TRF Rugby Union World Cup press corps. That is a bunch of people who will have their own user group, as highlighted at the bottom of the forum. They will have their own forum, the Press Box, where they will sit and work on their task...

Articles.

Articles, articles, articles.

That's your job - to populate our under construction World Cup forum with interesting articles.

Interested?

Gimme 300 words on why we should select you!

TRF wants YOU to get involved! We have 5 positions open for the TRF Rugby Union World Cup press corps. That is a bunch of people who will have their own user group, as highlighted at the bottom of the forum. They will have their own forum, the Press Box, where they will sit and work on their task...

Articles.

Articles, articles, articles.

That's your job - to populate our under construction World Cup forum with interesting articles.

Interested?

Gimme 300 words on why we should select you!
[/b]
"I believe the children are our future..." once sang the fallen pop star Whitney Houston. I too, beleive that the children are our future. How is this relevant to an application for The Press Box on The Rugby Forum? It is relevant because it stands for everything this Forum stands for: Growth. Yes, that's a bit of an obscure connection I've made, but think about it; the song speaks about showing the next generation the way. In our scenario we are showing the next generation of TRFer's the way forward. We will be encouraging people in the proper habits of posting and responding to posts. We will be educating people from far away mystical places called America, and Canada about the great sport we believe was birthed in Rugby, England by a Mr. Webb-Ellis.
Having said this I should add that I have journalistic experience. Yes, I was a Communications Major. I wrote, edited and served as the cartoonest for all three of my Colleges (or in your terms "Universities"). During this time period I gained the proper experience to fully exploit and bastardize the English Language we all hold dear. I know both secret arts of the Queens English, and the naughty stepchild called American English.
Not only do I like to write, and not only do I produce humorous and interesting articles, but I generally like to scour the 7 seas of the internet to find relevant (and occasionally non-relevant but humorous) images to illustrate my point or to highlight an event.
I will commit myself to fullfilling the duties bestowed upon me with grace, beauty and dilligence. I will draw on my beauty pagent experience (I was "Mr. Irish-American Student Society" in the 2001 "Mr. Evangel Pageant") to show forth the virtues of servatude and service.

Congratulations O'Rothlain! You are officially the world's biggest bullshitter!

Congratulations O'Rothlain! You are officially the world's biggest bullshitter!
[/b]
You've been speaking to Mrs. O'Rothlain, haven't you? Ha Ha!

In all seriousness, I want in, or at least I'd like to help.

Fore, score, and one hundred and fifty odd years ago, President Lincoln was ******** his pants because Lord Palmerston had sent 30,000 of Britain's finest to Canada because the yanks wouldn't stop forcing their way onto our ships. So what if they had Confederate diplomats on, they were our ships and we were number one back then baby! Woo!

Anyway, scoring points off of the yanks aside, now onto the business about why I should be on the press corps for this coming world cup.

Quite simple really, I seem to the be the only unbiased guy out there. I annoy Scots, Welsh and Irish everywhere in Aberdeen by my unabashed pride in the fact that "I support everyone in the home nations" and all accusations of "boring rugby" and "cheating" and "that Wilko is a ****" bounce off of me! Indeed I smile and laugh heartily, much to the rage of my smaller cousins.

Thus I think I am perfectly placed to review and, indeed, preview matches for the Home Nations in this coming rugby world cup. In fact, I think it would be an honour to throw in some excellent comedy articles too!

Right I have no idea if that was 300 words, but that is the best you will be getting out of me. Old Prestwick speaks for NOBODY!

Fore, score, and one hundred and fifty odd years ago, President Lincoln was ******** his pants because Lord Palmerston had sent 30,000 of Britain's finest to Canada because the yanks wouldn't stop forcing their way onto our ships. So what if they had Confederate diplomats on, they were our ships and we were number one back then baby! Woo!

Anyway, scoring points off of the yanks aside, now onto the business about why I should be on the press corps for this coming world cup.

Quite simple really, I seem to the be the only unbiased guy out there. I annoy Scots, Welsh and Irish everywhere in Aberdeen by my unabashed pride in the fact that "I support everyone in the home nations" and all accusations of "boring rugby" and "cheating" and "that Wilko is a ****" bounce off of me! Indeed I smile and laugh heartily, much to the rage of my smaller cousins.

Thus I think I am perfectly placed to review and, indeed, preview matches for the Home Nations in this coming rugby world cup. In fact, I think it would be an honour to throw in some excellent comedy articles too!

Right I have no idea if that was 300 words, but that is the best you will be getting out of me. Old Prestwick speaks for NOBODY!
[/b]
We Americans don't even acknowledge Canadia, so I don't know what you're talking about...

I'd absolutely like in!!! 300 words right now will be a tough ask, though.

Anyway, as an avid rugby fan I will aim to bring in depth articles to the forum. I will report on matches in a very interesting and informative way and bring the breaking news before it even appears in the Rugby News section. I will mostly anylise matches involving Australia and the other teams in their Pool, but on occaisons will bring reports on minnows who I decide to follow throughout the tournament. As well as providing articles The Aussie Rugby Wrap will well and truly be going hard with shows every week - maybe even every three days!!! I believe I am the perfect person for the job as although I may not contribute as many articles I will definately bring you the IMPORTANT news in more than one media. I look forward to my appointment!

id like 2 be a part of this...

im not stuck in the "old fashion" way of doing things..though a majority of you are..but i do appreciate history lol...i can learn from it and it broadens my mentality...what i do not understand is why you need 300 words?...the people who need that assessment are people who really need to prove themselves...and i know what you are thinking now..(yes you..the one who wants to pop open a smart comment right about now)..but the fact remains that i am more then capable enough of handling my own..in what ever department it is...i dont need 300 words to explain to you what i can do..or what i am capable of...you know what i can do and what i am capable of...and whats with this literacy garbage?..this aint no f***in english test...i grew up with delinquents and highschool hoodlums and i aced all those test..i dont need 2 come on a forum and type correctly to all accounts of grammatical correction..i luv tyPIn like DIS!...and you can read that..dont be a fool..if you cant translate that then you are the fool..and that doesnt mean im gonna type like that(cause i rarely do)

my rugby knowledge is held accountable on facts upon facts...not just that but a general love for the game...the world cup that is coming up...i feel like i will be playing in it just by watching it...so who better to hear about rugby then from the illustrious illustrator himself?...

(this is the bit where i sit back in my chair infront of the computer and laugh an evil laugh...like this...)

MWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!

If i were to be appointed a member of the Press Corps, I would provide accurate, non bias match reports that highlight the key points and defining moments of each match.

I'd also put forward stories which show the lesser seen, yet ever so important side of the Rugby World Cup: Players injuries, teams governing bodies and coaching staff and any contoversies that arise.

I'll watch every game on TV that is possible and throughtout the match will write notes to help me prepare my articles.

Also i'd scour all the Rugby sites for information and collate it in order to share a truly informative read, to feed the Rugby hungry Mind!

All in all, I'm certain that my appointment to this position would bring about high standard articles and hopefully promote this board as a result of it's quality.

When a Press Pack is convened, would it be required to meet strict standards of spelling and grammar?

You know, forbidding the overuse of full stops between words, the requirement that every sentence, name and location starts with a capital letter, stuff like that.

When a Press Pack is convened, would it be required to meet strict standards of spelling and grammar?

You know, forbidding the overuse of full stops between words, the requirement that every sentence, name and location starts with a capital letter, stuff like that.
[/b]

The plan at the moment is that all articles will be checked before they are posted.

I can't speak for certain about the finalised criteria, but we are looking for the most professional looking journalism we can from members.

To this extent, I think personalised styling such as one word sentences will be fine. We are just looking to avoid basic errors in spelling and grammar, as well as cutting out text speak and unecessary abreviations.

Sounds fair and sensible!

Of course, if picked, I'd try my best to proof read my stuff to help cut down the work load you guys will get.

If picked I promise to listen to AC/DC when writting any articles...none of that James Blunt stuff like the other guys...pure, kick-ass testosterone.

I think it would be cool.
Would i be dedicated to the cause?
Not sure.
I should be, but i can't promise anything.

Anyway, pick me if you're struggling for a final person to fill a space.
Remember, your looking at an aspiring writer here.
Doesn't mean i'm any good; in fact it means i'm just as deluded as i am confident in myself.

I know my rugby, i'm cool, folks love me when i'm not a twat.
I'd be very good at this.
And like O'Roth...pure testosterone all the way (KISS, Alice Cooper etc.)...(with a hint of James Blunt and Damien Rice).

PM's Sent to 4 of the successful people, more may be sent at later dates and the Press Corp could expand depending the success...

There is very much a chance this scheme could be expanded so if there's no contact this time, fear not, your hopes have not been dashed, just delayed.

Latest posts