• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pro12: Round 20

So either way Leinster are laughing. Why not select a venue like Windsor park or Casement Park

As if the IRFU's letting that money slide out the system. It was Aviva or RDS. edit: Although I've just realised the flaw in my thinking....

Last edited:
Yes but Feic a player can only be cited if the acting citing commioner deems the offence a red card. But again the way media slate POC and some Leinster fans is disappointing. As I put it, it's not Paulies job to cite himself regardless. Yes you could argue its his job on pitch but that a different argument

I thought they could cite anyone if the issue wasn't dealt with on the field / wasn't dealt with correctly on the field (e.g YC given for a RC offense etc) ?

I know but Ulster should've stepped in and fought their case. It could easily be a case Ulster get home advantage and are outnumbered big time by Leinster in their "home" fixture.

I thought they could cite anyone if the issue wasn't dealt with on the field / wasn't dealt with correctly on the field (e.g YC given for a RC offense etc) ?
Only if it was a red card offence if it was only a Yellow card in eyes of citing Commisioner then it isn't a citing. Also the fact Owens saw the offence and had no issue was huge in this as it meant citing Commisioner had to go against the ref

I know but Ulster should've stepped in and fought their case. It could easily be a case Ulster get home advantage and are outnumbered big time by Leinster in their "home" fixture.

In terms of fans? If we can't get 10, 11 thousand Ulster fans to Dublin to take our fifty per cent for this possible match, we deserve to be outnumbered. I'm surprised they're not taking it to Lansdowne tbh, sure Ulster run the risk of being outnumbered there, but there'll be more Ulster fans wanting to be there than will squeeze in at the RDS. I'm guessing the IRFU would have preferred the Aviva too.

I'd rather worry about giving Connacht a good hiding than where we might be playing any final tbh.

True just unfortunate after working so hard should ye finish top ye don't get full benefit. But as you say Connacht can't be over looked as they love to cause an upset and fact Pat Lam is here already a few are surely going to be out to impress

Duck the problem is that that isn't a 100% clear penalty. Firstly, the Ospreys pack have cleared out too far past the ball, meaning the ball was clearly out of the ruck, so I'd say that isn't offside. Secondly it looks like the scrum half (Phillips?) passes the ball against an outstretched arm, not that the ball was slapped down, although I have seen these given as penalties.

So ultimately, just a knock on is arguably the correct decision.

Yes it is. August knew exactly what he was doing and it was a deliberate knock on, you don't need to slap or throw the ball down for it to be a deliberate knock on, so I don't know what your point is ther as that is not the rule. The rule is that he had no intention of catching the ball which he clearly didn't, so it was a deliberate knock on.

To make matters worse, (not shown on the GIF), that twat Clancy dummied to give the penalty and then bottled out of it in front of home fans.

Then add to that the try missed also thanks to the deliberate knock on and the Ospreys were clearly robbed by 2 key decisions.

Blaming the ref is the weakest excuses in this game, I'm fine with saying that he was a factor and that he certainly did not help but ultimetly he is not playing the game it's up to the players to make things happen. When I see fans, teammates and even myself blaming the ref for a defeat I either tell them to shut (mostly team mates) and that we were at fault and that we could've done more to win it. Now i'm not trying to tell you to shut up and that your argument is invalid but somewhat over stated and IMO and immature way of dealing with defeat rather then taking it on the chin. again nothing personal Duck just my option on blaming the ref for defeat.

This is rubbish. Although sometimes referees are unfairly blamed. But you can't say it is not valid.

So if hypothetically a team was winning by 6 points and then the opposition score a try like one of these two, you think the team on the other end can't say after that the match that the referee cost the the match. You would think blaming the ref would be a "weak excuse" if that were to happen.

<iframe width="400" height="300" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MOWLIvfkVoY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe><iframe width="400" height="225" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D_tAt3sHLKw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

You're also saying that Fiji in this match couldn't say that the referee Paddy O'Brien absolutely cost them the match with one of the worst refereeing performances in the history of the sport. In a match where France were gifted 10 points and Fiji denied 7 causing a 17 point swing in the match and add to that they missed a blatant headbutt for a possible red card offence as well.

The Fijians did enough to win that match, but were simply robbed off their efforts and their legitimate try by the referee. Whilst France were awarded a dubious try and got re-awarded a penalty kick after they had already thrown a forward pass from a quick tap (a try the referee initially awarded until the touchjudge corrected him).

You can't seriously tell me that Fiji that didn't have an excuse for losing that match and that blaming the ref was a "weak" one.

<iframe width="400" height="300" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cirUVt3dCKQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes it is. August knew exactly what he was doing and it was a deliberate knock on, you don't need to slap or throw the ball down for it to be a deliberate knock on, so I don't know what your point is ther as that is not the rule. The rule is that he had no intention of catching the ball which he clearly didn't, so it was a deliberate knock on.

To make matters worse, (not shown on the GIF), that twat Clancy dummied to give the penalty and then bottled out of it in front of home fans.

Then add to that the try missed also thanks to the deliberate knock on and the Ospreys were clearly robbed by 2 key decisions.

Not denying that a few key decisions went against the Ospreys that day. If the match thread is still knocking around, I'm sure there's plenty of ranting from myself about the ref after the game.

I was just commenting on the final decision. There is certainly a genuine argument that there was a deliberate knock-on, but I've seen worse missed. There's probably an argument for offside as well, but from my understanding the ball is clearly out before the Biarritz player advances.

Probably time to let it go anyway.

Not denying that a few key decisions went against the Ospreys that day. If the match thread is still knocking around, I'm sure there's plenty of ranting from myself about the ref after the game.

I was just commenting on the final decision. There is certainly a genuine argument that there was a deliberate knock-on, but I've seen worse missed. There's probably an argument for offside as well, but from my understanding the ball is clearly out before the Biarritz player advances.

Probably time to let it go anyway.

Sadly though it could be a long time until we see a Welsh side ever getting close to a Heineken Cup semi final again ...

Premiership and Heineken Cup - Case of O'Connell: the controversy swells around his kick

Published on 17/04/2013 at 14:59, updated on 17/04/2013 at 16:23
Not sanctioned for kick given to the head of the Leinster winger Dave Kearney, the second line of Munster, Paul O'Connell, has clearly not found friends this weekend.

In Ireland, many regret the absence of punishment.

Critics who join the feeling of injustice of Clermont, the future opponents of Munster in the semi-finals of the Heineken Cup.

http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/celti...ur-de-son-coup-de-pied_sto3716039/story.shtml

Just saying..................!!

This is yesterday's news and basically that all down to Schmidts strong links with Clermont. But again whatever ye think of kick why is Paul O Connell the thug or 1 of injustice? It's not his job to cite himself

This is yesterday's news and basically that all down to Schmidts strong links with Clermont. But again whatever ye think of kick why is Paul O Connell the thug or 1 of injustice? It's not his job to cite himself

Rubbish. I don't see why he can't disagree with the non-ban like many others who have no allegiance. You have no evidence for that being his motive.

Leinster captain Leo Cullen has now also weighed with criticism on the non-citing. http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/my-faith-in-the-system-has-been-damaged-cullen-29201692.html

And the IRB Chief Exec Brett Gosper has also now started talking about it on Twitter.

Leinster captain Leo Cullen has now also weighed with criticism on the non-citing. http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/my-faith-in-the-system-has-been-damaged-cullen-29201692.html

That link also shows that munstermuffin's claim that Owens had seen the incident and was 'OK with it' is false. In there, Cullen specifically states that he talked to Owens at the time about it and Owens said that he hadn't seen it and would leave it for the citing commissioner to sort out.

Edit.
"I got a message from the sideline that there had been a boot to the player's head, so I said that to the referee at the time and he said he hadn't seen it, but if he had he would have done something about it and it would be left up to the citing officer to do something about it," he said.

Has O'Connell publicly apologized for the incident? I'm sure he's said something to Kearney but if he came out in public and said his action was reckless, it would diffuse the situation.

Has O'Connell publicly apologized for the incident? I'm sure he's said something to Kearney but if he came out in public and said his action was reckless, it would diffuse the situation.

I'm not sure there's a need for that. I'm certainly not angry at O'Connell. I just want incidents to be treated equally, and the fact that he hasn't even been cited is just silly. I think that's what people are angry about, and as munstermuffin has said, this isn't POC's fault, he can't/shouldn't cite himself.

I'm not sure there's a need for that. I'm certainly not angry at O'Connell. I just want incidents to be treated equally, and the fact that he hasn't even been cited is just silly. I think that's what people are angry about, and as munstermuffin has said, this isn't POC's fault, he can't/shouldn't cite himself.
I agree. Personally, I don't care if he apologizes publicly or not. I'm drawing parallels to Sergio Aguero apologizing to David Luiz yesterday before Sky made a meal the tackle. If O'Connell says he's sorry even though it was unintentional, I'm sure we wouldn't have had Joe Schmidt or Leo Cullen speak about the incident yesterday.

I agree. Personally, I don't care if he apologizes publicly or not. I'm drawing parallels to Sergio Aguero apologizing to David Luiz yesterday before Sky made a meal the tackle. If O'Connell says he's sorry even though it was unintentional, I'm sure we wouldn't have had Joe Schmidt or Leo Cullen speak about the incident yesterday.

But again, Schmidt and Cullen aren't necessarily speaking out about the incident itself, but the lack of citing, and how it could have a negative impact on the game in terms of precedent.

But again, Schmidt and Cullen aren't necessarily speaking out about the incident itself, but the lack of citing, and how it could have a negative impact on the game in terms of precedent.

+1

He apologised in the papers yesterday was headline in Limerick Leader and spoke with him Sunday. Also Duck I not on about Schmidt talking as I understand that I'm more on about Clermont coming out like are they afraid of POC or something. Also watch replay of game because having re watched it Owens said its just a lineout and discussed incident with Touch Judge. He's heard on tv clearly so call it false if you like but also on official release by citing Commisioner it states the ref saw it so think what you want and I'll do same

Another one of these.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cVMHo26FTxo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Latest posts