• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

PROOF

S

St Helens RLFC

I have long stated that rugby union gets ALL the funding at grassroots level, and I have PROOF.

My university's rugby league team is doing **** - we have no tackle bags or anything like that, they're all owned by the union team. We keep on getting SLAUGHTERED by the other teams because we have ineffective training sessions.

I asked the captain about the possibility of us getting some funding so we could hire a professional coach. His answer: "The union team get all the money and we can't afford it."

So guess who has just been appointed the head coach of UCLAN Storm. Yes, me.....

And the boys call me "Millward" which is very, very flattering.

The worrying thing is.... I GO TO A UNIVERSITY IN THE NORTH WEST OF ENGLAND!!!!!

Well I go to Liverpool University, and the one league and four union teams all share the equipment, regardless of the fact that the union side contributes four times as much in membership fees (and the league team is ****).

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Nov 17 2004, 07:04 PM
So guess who has just been appointed the head coach of UCLAN Storm. Yes, me.....

Gonna be resting your players against the University of Bradford?

Originally posted by Boy@Nov 17 2004, 08:36 PM
Liverpool University (and the league team is ****).
I'll tell you more about that on wednesday when they visit Preston Sports Arena.

Originally posted by Ripper@Nov 17 2004, 07:45 PM
I thought Union was non-existant in the North of England
That's the thing Ripper - at pro level, IT IS!

Gross incompetence from my university.

When I was in the Paris University (many years ago in the 80's) the RL section closed and the players joined us in the RU section... As far as I know there might still be some RL sections in the French Universities of Toulouse, Perpignan, Montpellier and possibly Bordeaux.

You see this can be worse...

Originally posted by DonBilly@Nov 18 2004, 10:38 AM
When I was in the Paris University (many years ago in the 80's) the RL section closed and the players joined us in the RU section... As far as I know there might still be some RL sections in the French Universities of Toulouse, Perpignan, Montpellier and possibly Bordeaux.

Do you live in France, if so, where?

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc+Nov 17 2004, 08:53 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Nov 17 2004, 08:53 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-St Helens RLFC
@Nov 17 2004, 07:04 PM

Gonna be resting your players against the University of Bradford? [/b]
No because we've lost every game this season!

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc+Nov 19 2004, 12:08 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Nov 19 2004, 12:08 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-DonBilly
@Nov 18 2004, 10:38 AM

Do you live in France, if so, where? [/b]
I live 15 kilometres south of Paris.

RL is in very bad shape in this region, my son (10 years old) plays Rugby in a Club which has switched from XIII to XV code 2 years ago. The FFR (the French RU) provided to the Club much more support than they received from the corresponding body for RL. There are many more boys in the Rugby school nowadays (approximately 50) than at the RL time (less than 20 then).

My background has always been RU but I like RL too and there should be in my view room for both codes.

When UTC enter Super League I'm hopeful the game will start to take off in France again but it will take many years to reverse the damage that knob De Gaulle caused.l

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Nov 18 2004, 01:08 PM
When UTC enter Super League I'm hopeful the game will start to take off in France again but it will take many years to reverse the damage that knob De Gaulle caused.l
Do you not mean Petain and Jules Rimet?

Originally posted by DonBilly+Nov 18 2004, 12:50 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Nov 18 2004, 12:50 PM)</div>
Originally posted by wigan_rlfc@Nov 19 2004, 12:08 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-DonBilly
@Nov 18 2004, 10:38 AM

Do you live in France, if so, where?
I live 15 kilometres south of Paris.

RL is in very bad shape in this region, my son (10 years old) plays Rugby in a Club which has switched from XIII to XV code 2 years ago. The FFR (the French RU) provided to the Club much more support than they received from the corresponding body for RL. There are many more boys in the Rugby school nowadays (approximately 50) than at the RL time (less than 20 then).

My background has always been RU but I like RL too and there should be in my view room for both codes. [/b]
Is Chantilly (sp?) the League team in Paris?

The south of France is the tradtional French League heartland am I right?

The most northern club in the First league is I think Villeurbane, a city next to Lyon.

In Paris there used to be Paris SG XIII but this is dead now. There's the Hussard de Paris club which is in the second or third division. There are other clubs in the subburbs in Chatillon, in Charenton, in Les Mureaux or In Corbeilles.

I hope that the inclusion UTC will wake up the media interest for RL and consequently more players and higher level.

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC+Nov 18 2004, 09:25 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Nov 18 2004, 09:25 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper
@Nov 17 2004, 07:45 PM
[/b]
Apart from Sale (2nd in the Premiership), Newcastle (Powergen Cup winners) and Leeds in the ZP, then Rotherham and Orrell in Div 1

There are far more pro union teams in the North than there are pro league teams in the South

Originally posted by DonBilly@Nov 18 2004, 05:31 PM
The most northern club in the First league is I think Villeurbane, a city next to Lyon.

In Paris there used to be Paris SG XIII but this is dead now. There's the Hussard de Paris club which is in the second or third division. There are other clubs in the subburbs in Chatillon, in Charenton, in Les Mureaux or In Corbeilles.

I hope that the inclusion UTC will wake up the media interest for RL and consequently more players and higher level.
Has the season started yet or are they waiting for the internationals to be over?

Originally posted by Boy+Nov 18 2004, 06:22 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Boy @ Nov 18 2004, 06:22 PM)</div>
Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Nov 18 2004, 09:25 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper
@Nov 17 2004, 07:45 PM

Apart from Sale (2nd in the Premiership), Newcastle (Powergen Cup winners) and Leeds in the ZP, then Rotherham and Orrell in Div 1

There are far more pro union teams in the North than there are pro league teams in the South [/b]
I was thinking that. Maybe he meant compared to the popularity of league?

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc+Nov 19 2004, 09:50 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Nov 19 2004, 09:50 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-DonBilly
@Nov 18 2004, 05:31 PM

Has the season started yet or are they waiting for the internationals to be over? [/b]
It starts in December.

The big thing at the moment is the test against Australia this Sunday in Toulouse. There's no more International RL tests in Paris as it used to be until the 70's.

Apparently for the first time since 1981 Final there will be RL on TV, I mean the usual terrestrial and free TV as ITV or BBC in the UK, on France2 they plan to do something around this test. The match itself will be on Sport+ available on Satellite, Cable or ADSL TV.

Originally posted by DonBilly+Nov 18 2004, 11:37 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Nov 18 2004, 11:37 PM)</div>
Originally posted by wigan_rlfc@Nov 19 2004, 09:50 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-DonBilly
@Nov 18 2004, 05:31 PM

Has the season started yet or are they waiting for the internationals to be over?
It starts in December.

The big thing at the moment is the test against Australia this Sunday in Toulouse. There's no more International RL tests in Paris as it used to be until the 70's.

Apparently for the first time since 1981 Final there will be RL on TV, I mean the usual terrestrial and free TV as ITV or BBC in the UK, on France2 they plan to do something around this test. The match itself will be on Sport+ available on Satellite, Cable or ADSL TV. [/b]
Hopefully we'll see a Treiziste win.

Latest posts