• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pumas new coach

psychic duck

International
Argentina are said not to be renewing the 2 year contract of Santiago Phelan that expires at the end of the Rugby Championship. Apparently the preference of the UAR is to bring in an Australian/New Zealand coach with Super Rugby experience to try and bring in new ideas and help bring the side back into the top 8 of world rugby.

The candidates are reported to be Michael Cheika, Richard Graham, Jamie Joseph and John Kirwan. Which do you think would suit international rugby best and help the Pumas improve?

Would the Pumas be able to buy out Kirwans contract? He only just started with the Blues, can't see him wanting to walk away yet. Likewise Cheika, he is assembling a decent squad as well.

I liked Joseph in his first season, but not sure what happened this year. Too distracted with all the new signings?

Argentina are said not to be renewing the 2 year contract of Santiago Phelan that expires at the end of the Rugby Championship. Apparently the preference of the UAR is to bring in an Australian/New Zealand coach with Super Rugby experience to try and bring in new ideas and help bring the side back into the top 8 of world rugby.

The candidates are reported to be Michael Cheika, Richard Graham, Jamie Joseph and John Kirwan. Which do you think would suit international rugby best and help the Pumas improve?

Robbie Deans?:bana:

For me, the best coach for the Pumas would be: Dave Rennie ;)

White would actually be a great fit for the Pumas. His emphasis on perfecting the basics and on team play and territory rather than individual brilliance is exactly what the Pumas need IMO

Yeah, obviously nothing concrete but I'd say it is most likely he's either homesick, or he's going to coach the Pumas.

It would be dishonest to step down for personal reasons and then go and coach the Pumas. I agree he could be a good fit but it would be a dick move.

Horrible news for brumbies.. I can see white getting the job. Graham, chieka and kirwan just started.. dunno if joesph is up for it

And why not robbie deans? Never know. Imagine if he went and coached the brumbies now lol

White would actually be a great fit for the Pumas. His emphasis on perfecting the basics and on team play and territory rather than individual brilliance is exactly what the Pumas need IMO

You can only use what players you're given at international level. I don't see the relevance of this statement. At international level with a more limited depth of players than the likes of England, France or South Africa. You need to construct a gameplan that gets the best of the players you have, not have a template gameplan of the coach and sign players into it or have a very large range of players to be able to select to fit into it.

The Pumas already have good basics and team play. They need something extra to start turning the losses into wins and lift themselves back from the Scotland level they've fallen to. The territory gameplan for Argentina now isn't as effective as the half backs are not nearly as good at bossing the game and controlling the territory like Pichot and pre-injury Hernandez could under Loffreda. They lack a bit of

The bluntness of the backline is a big issue that the new coach will have to address. The other thing that the new coach will need to do is transition some of the new young talent that the successful youth system has produced these last few years. The Pumas are a couple years away from a sea change in personnel with a lot younger and fresher team.

Latest posts