• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

pussy refereeing picks on islanders once more.

gingergenius

First XV
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Saracens
This week, that I know of, we've seen 2 red cards handed out in the Premiership and the Top 14.

Mafileo Kefu got a straight red for Toulon for a high tackle on Alexis Palisson. The fact that there was no malice intended, plus that Palisson is a short-arse, didn't seem to come into it.

Yesterday George Stowers got a straight red for London Irish, for... I don't know what.

Both of these offences were never straight reds. Kefu's was a binning, tops. Stowers wasn't even a penalty. And it may be a coincidence, but once again it's two islanders who're getting punished the most.

In the same game at Bath, Seveali'i got binned for a 'spear' tackle. Not so long ago, that sort of tackle was called a dump tackle and was absolutely fine. A spear was what Umaga/ Mealamu did to O'Driscoll; Gregan to McCaw; Emerick to Barkley etc. Turning a player upside down and dropping them on their head. Suddenly, the new refereeing bullshit's come through and players are getting penalised all over the place for perfectly acceptable, non-dangerous tackles.

The iRB need to issue get more refereeing directives. 1) A straight red card is something to be given for a piece of serious and malicious foul play, not to an Islander when he injures someone and the crowd overreact. 2) A proper spear tackle is highly dangerous. A proper dump tackle is not. Let's have them back. If mungos can handle being shouldercharged all the time, there's no reason why union players can't cope with being put on their arse from time to time.

/rant

Anything that picks a player up so he goes across the horizontal then physically drives/throws him into the ground instead of putting him down safely is a spear tackle, not anything that puts on his head. Also, it doesn't matter if it's malice intended or accidental, a foul is a foul and should be dealt with accordingly.

The "mungos" don't get shouldercharged constantly (or 'big hits' as they refer them to), in fact if there are 5 hits of that style in a whole match they're lucky.Our league-playing cousins however have a taste for the exaggeration at the best of times, especially when referring to how tough their sport is.

Last edited:
Haven't seen these guys play, or the incidents, but surely they can make hard, ball-in-all tackles or effective hard tackles without lifting players at all, and by doing so, taking the Refs and the Judiciary out of the equation altogether

Haven't seen these guys play, or the incidents, but surely they can make hard, ball-in-all tackles or effective hard tackles without lifting players at all, and by doing so, taking the Refs and the Judiciary out of the equation altogether

Personally I think that dumping is alot easier than actually trying to knock a guy back without picking his legs from under him...once you get the guys legs up he is all yours...and if you carry the guy back its yards gained and horriffically demoralising for the other team to see one of their players get smashed then brought back...

however refferees are now ******** themselves at the thought of something remotely like a spear...(i hate them for the record ) and too many awesome and legitimate hits are getting penalised ... i am thinking for any severe incedents such as suspected spearing or gouging for it to go to a tmo....might be a bit slower but it would mean fewer bad calls and fewer matches being swung in the wrong way by poor refereeing

Yesterday George Stowers got a straight red for London Irish, for... I don't know what.

Both of these offences were never straight reds. [...] Stowers wasn't even a penalty.
Having watched the highlights, it was a penalty, but I think even a yellow might've been harsh. Stowers carelessly flung his arm at Abendanon's neck, the red was possibly given because he was knocked out cold for a moment.

Latest posts