• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Q & A for Rugby 2006

L

locksley

Before I give a full run down of Rugby 2006, I think it would be beneficial to answer some questions that people have asked me via MSN etc, so I'll do that in this thread.

1. Is Rugby 06 better than Rugby 2005

Oh yes. Very much so. It is Rugby 2005 with all the faults (Well, nearly all) ironed out and features the tightest gameplay ever in a rugby game.

2. What's changed?

Where should I start. Well, visually things have improved. Stadiums are now immaculate, and players look much better than before. Effects such as Steam coming for scrums in cold weather etc is great too. It also seems to have a more stable, faster framerate this time round.

Soundwise, the commentary from Ian Robertson and Grant fox is thoroughly enjoyable and not as boring as I thought it may be. Robertson reminds me of Bill McLaren in a way. Beefy sound effects go with the action, and if you're playing as New Zealand it's great when the crowd chant "ALL BLACKS" clap clap clap "ALL BLACKS" as you gain momentum.

As for the gameplay, think Rugby 2005 with with Knobs, bells and Whistles on. Each team has Star players and these really do effect the game. They can step better, run faster etc and can change matches. This is a fantastic addition on EA's Behalf.

3. Does it still have the "Animation" routine, that kick in and stop you controlling it?

Nope. Or if it does, I've never noticed it.

4. Steps fends etc, do they work??

OH YES!!!! These are so much improved for Rugby 06. Exactly the same as before, but this time you really can make the full back look daft as you shimmy and step round him. Star players like Umaga etc can make most players look stupid with their step technique. Fends work brilliantly too. It's really great to break away from the ruck, fend off one, two maybe three people before putting a man in space. Class!

5. Offloads... any good?

Brilliant! Superb addition for this years game. How they work takes some getting used to, but once learned, they're awesome. What happens is when you're being tackled, if your arms are free the "X" button pops up above the ball carriers head for about half a second to show you that you can offload. Hit X and you'll offload the ball, do it quick though or the X will go and you won't be able to. Not every offload goes to your players though, so be careful when you're about to offload with a bunch of defenders around you.

6. Set plays.. Work this time round?

You bet your life they do. There's around 25 different set plays to choose from and you can assign 4 on the D-pad before the match starts. They're much the same as before, but they've be tightened and tweaked to work well. The loops and miss passes are there again, but this time plays like "Crosskick" have been added. This is a superb move that works well when in a ruck or scrum on one side of the field to put a crossfield kick across to the opposite wingman.

7. Tackling? Same as Before?

Pretty much, Yes. Just run into the player to perform a tackle, X does a dive tackle and the new addition is a High tackle that you can do with the R1 button. These can give you the upper hand at a ruck, but if the ref sees you, you'll give away a penalty. Great if the opposition star player is running riot. Line him up, hit R1 and smile as he gets carried from the field.
<

8. Passing.

Brilliant. Tweaked from Rugby 05 and all the better for it. The offloads really have opened up the attacking game too.

9. Has the kicking game improved?

This has to be the single most improved aspect from Rugby 05. HB Studios have got the ball physics absolutely nailed this time round. From Punts through to grubbers, they all feel right. Congrats to HB on a job well done.

10. Can you play against the Lions on the Lions Tour?

Unfortunately no!
<
Lions only I'm afraid. Unless there's a cheat to allow you to do it, but I doubt it.

11. Are there any bad things?

Of course there are, but they're minor ****les compared to how good the game is. Firstly, you can still make a lot of ground by running diagonally at the defence. This is more apparent when the AI put a kick in and your full back is returning it. The rucks are still pretty much automatic and the "Club" difficulty level is waaaaaayyy too easy. All in all though, Rugby 2006 is immense.

12. Is it better than Rugby League 2

Ha. Next. Without a shadow of a doubt, YES YES YES. It has the most Responsive controls ever. Wether attacking or defending, stepping or high tackling, you feel in control at ALL times. So yes, Rugby 2006 is far, far better than RL2. Saying that though, if Rugby 2006 was a league game, then I'd NEVER play anything else, ever.

13. Is it better than Rugby Challenge 2006?

Mmmmm, I'm not sure here. I played RC2006 a few months back, and from what I remember it's brilliant, but I've just recently played Rugby 06 so that's fresh in my mind. It wouldn't really be fair for me to say which is the better of the two cos I've not got them both here to compare. However, Rugby 2006 seems to have the balance between fun gameplay and simulation completely sewn up.

So there's a few questions answered. If anyone would like to ask questions about Rugby 06, please do so in this thread.

Please note: I won't answer questions like "Is such-a-body in such-a-team" or "What are the stats like for such-a-person" cos they're just not interesting. Any gameplay questions etc I'll gladly answer.

right nice one locks - do the all blacks still perform the haka before the game?

Cheers for that Locks.

Just wondering (a question that has been plagueing me for a while now) did you get a chance to look at the World League? This game looks a lot like FIFA06, the graphics adn visual effects seem to have been borrowed a lot, but has that carried into the World League? How in depth is it etc.?

Originally posted by locksley@Jan 16 2006, 12:28 PM
Please note:  I won't answer questions like "Is such-a-body in such-a-team" or "What are the stats like for such-a-person"  cos they're just not interesting.  Any gameplay questions etc I'll gladly answer.
Haha, thank god for that. They've always been the questions which I have found annoying and a big waste of time.

Edit - I just read the other thread. Ignore me.

Thank you locksley!

Originally posted by locksley@Jan 16 2006, 11:28 AM
Great if the opposition star player is running riot. Line him up, hit R1 and smile as he gets carried from the field.
<
now that is awesome

a new element in a rugby game

I'll call it the All Blacktic tactic...........ie O'Driscoll

nice stuff there Tana..............u have single handedly evolved a rugby video game

Brill stuff............

Pls note, I am not supporting, nor condeming what Tana did that day.

I am just appreciative, that it has now reflected in a video game
<

Tana, Tana, Tana 'pace' Umaga!!!!!!!!

Dive Tacking in rugby 2005 was one of the most frustrating parts.

you pressed tackle and your player seemd to do a SUPERMAN in the other direction. The amount of times my players just seemed to fall on the floor by diving towards my own goal line was a joke.

Has this been sorted out?

The fact that rucks are the same as before could completely ruin the game I fell (as you have no control)

Glad to hear the animation problem is sorted out

He said in the other thread that he can't get videos or screens this year.

Locks - Flat-footed recievers, still a problem?

Originally posted by funksoulbrother@Jan 16 2006, 11:47 AM
The fact that rucks are the same as before could completely ruin the game I fell (as you have no control)
my thoughts aswell

Which is why I will own both RC2006 and EA2006

I need a balance of both, rolling mauls, manual rucks, and liscensing, polished graphics, etc etc.

It does seem as though 2006 is a great year for the Rugby genre
A big step in the right direction, 1 year before the transition to next gen.

This is evolution........

IS KICKING FOR GOAL THE SAME?

CAN U PICK THE WEATHER CONDITIONS

CAN U DUMMY AND DO THEY WORK

Originally posted by loratadine@Jan 16 2006, 11:34 AM
right nice one locks - do the all blacks still perform the haka before the game?
Yes. Almost exactly the same as last year, but with Tana starting it off. Lip Synching is much better this time round, and the whole thing feels much more polished. Tana Umaga is indestinguishable in game from the real thing.

brilliant news - are the number 8 picks up alot quicker - and what are the line out like?

Originally posted by funksoulbrother@Jan 16 2006, 11:47 AM

you pressed tackle and your player seemd to do a SUPERMAN in the other direction. The amount of times my players just seemed to fall on the floor by diving towards my own goal line was a joke.

Has this been sorted out?

Glad to hear the animation problem is sorted out
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>

you pressed tackle and your player seemd to do a SUPERMAN in the other direction. The amount of times my players just seemed to fall on the floor by diving towards my own goal line was a joke. Has this been sorted out?[/b]

Almost exactly the same this time round. You benefit much more by just running into the player.

The fact that rucks are the same as before could completely ruin the game I fell (as you have no control)[/b]

Doesn't really bother me the ruck situation. It's pretty tactical the way you're waiting for a set play to start, knowing that you could just get turned over a split second before you can pass.

Glad to hear the animation problem is sorted out[/b]

It's vanished. The game is class!

Originally posted by umosay@Jan 16 2006, 11:50 AM
He said in the other thread that he can't get videos or screens this year.

Locks - Flat-footed recievers, still a problem?
Can't say I've noticed TBH. I think you can actually push the analog stick before you pass so that the reciever starts to run before he gets the ball.

Originally posted by ak47@Jan 16 2006, 11:51 AM

Almost exactly, yes.

Nope, don't think so. Forgot that bit. That's another annoying thing, I hate the foggy North East matches.

Yes you can, but they're identical to Rugby 05. Didn't really work for me.

Originally posted by loratadine@Jan 16 2006, 12:12 PM
brilliant news - are the number 8 picks up alot quicker - and what are the line out like?
Number 8 pick ups are still pretty slow, and unless you're not marked or you hand off the marker, you don't really get anywhere.

Line outs are exactly the same as 05, but the addition of pressing Square to throw a quick line out really helps the pace of the game flow.

and another thing - do wsize come into it - for example if a tiny back tries to hand off a big 20 stone forward would they succed.

Originally posted by loratadine@Jan 16 2006, 12:19 PM
and another thing - do wsize come into it - for example if a tiny back tries to hand off a big 20 stone forward would they succed.
Probably not no.

Two biggies for me...........

1. The computer AI..............any good, DO THEY ACTUALLY SCORE ANYTHING aside from drop goals this time around?

2. Penalties. Do you get awarded some penalties for such things as offside by the computer, hands in the ruck etc? (in rugby 2005 it was rare to be awarded a penalty except for the "pulling down the maul" by the computer from a lineout drive).

Latest posts