• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Question about shoulder charges

dasNdanger

First XV
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
New Zealand
Just watching a Rabbitohs v Dragons match, and there was a a wicked high shoulder-charge hit on Dean Young (by Greg Inglis). I'm surprised that shoulder charges are allowed in the League game. I was stunned that Inglis was not sent off. So I did a little looking up, and found this article, with a poll, and again, I'm surprised that the majority who responded (so far) are in favor of shoulder charges. http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ewcastle-knights/story-fnbhm15b-1226431515497

Any thoughts?

das

I'm torn about this das, I would prefer to see the shoulder charge remain in the game as I think it adds that "boom" factor to league which is a major part of it's appeal and is similar to some of the big hits we see in gridiron. Yet I've seen some guys get hit real hard and especially with the bigger and fitter athletes that are playing today I'm worried about injuries, player safety is paramount somethign gridiron and Ice Hockey are finding out big time these days with the concussion problems lingering around those sports.

I've seen guys going for shoulder charges and having it backfire sometimes though, either they miss completely and leave themselves off balance which makes pursuit hard, or they go in too high and draw a penalty. Going in too hard also dosen't make your opponents particularly fond of you and we know what that can lead to in League!!!!

Yea I'm torn on this. I think the Shoulder Charge adds something to the game, but this could kill someone:

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is the skill in hitting a guy that can't go anywhere? Personally I've never understood why shoulder charges are allowed in League (admittedly coming from a Union background). Although it can look spectacular it seems to me like it gives all the advantage to the defender.

you may as well watch Gridiron in that case

that is not a typical shoulder charge so a bit rough to use it as a typical example, he has been put on report and will almost certainly be suspended

you may as well watch Gridiron in that case

that is not a typical shoulder charge so a bit rough to use it as a typical example, he has been put on report and will almost certainly be suspended

This is a great point Jabby, this was an illegal hit even under current laws, it also looks like the NRL will be reviewing the shoulder charges in the off season with a panel of experts. Perhaps will see some changes or recommendations.

This is a great point Jabby, this was an illegal hit even under current laws, it also looks like the NRL will be reviewing the shoulder charges in the off season with a panel of experts. Perhaps will see some changes or recommendations.
If the original point of contact is shoulder to chest-and some replays indicate this-then it is not illegal. As much as I hate to see players hurt, the shoulder charge has become an effective and crowd pleasing aspect of Rugby League.

If the original point of contact is shoulder to chest-and some replays indicate this-then it is not illegal. As much as I hate to see players hurt, the shoulder charge has become an effective and crowd pleasing aspect of Rugby League.

He clearly gets hit in the head(specifically jaw) on the replay, you don't get knocked out that suddenly by a blow to the chest. Edit: Looks like Telstra's doing their best to delete all the uploads of the replay LOL. Getting harder for me to find NRL stuff on youtube.

Last edited:
I've been reading your comments and still doing a bit of research. Rather in a rush right now, but wanted to just say one thing.

For those who like shoulder charges because it makes for a huge hit, why can't there still be big hits without the charges? I've seen some massive hits in the Union game, and the only difference is the height of the tackle and/or the use of the arms. Nothing says that taking out the shoulder charges will ruin the action of the league game. Those big hits could easily be modified with the use of the arms, and without changing the excitemen of the game. At least that's how I'm seeing it right now, but I haven't actually played the game to know if my theory actually works in practice. Any thoughts?

das

There was a hit in the Super League on Friday just gone by a St Helens player that he let with the shoulder and he got sent off straight away, I saw it and my union bias saw it as a valid red card and yet I saw comments lambasting the ref for sending him off.

Personally the shoulder charge should be banned, it shows absolutely zero technique and skill and is dangerous to both players.

There was a hit in the Super League on Friday just gone by a St Helens player that he let with the shoulder and he got sent off straight away, I saw it and my union bias saw it as a valid red card and yet I saw comments lambasting the ref for sending him off.

Personally the shoulder charge should be banned, it shows absolutely zero technique and skill and is dangerous to both players.

It's looking more and more likely this will happen for the next NRL season, also looks like Inglis is facing a four or five week ban for that hit. Not sure if Super League will follow suit if NRL drops the shoulder charge.

Unfortunately word on the street is that the ARL commission will seriously consider outlawing the shoulder charge.

One the one hand, it may only be a matter of time until someone is critically injured but on the other hand, it's part of NRL. Look at all the "big hits" compilations - Over half the shots are shoulder charges.

Shoulder charges are part of Rugby League's fabric. It's what sets Rugby League apart. When a big hit is pulled off which is more often than not, the whole room erupts. Can the game afford to lose such an exciting component?

I think we should keep the shoulder charge but crack down on lazy attempts which result in a dangerous attempts i.e. head shots.

Unfortunately word on the street is that the ARL commission will seriously consider outlawing the shoulder charge.

One the one hand, it may only be a matter of time until someone is critically injured but on the other hand, it's part of NRL. Look at all the "big hits" compilations - Over half the shots are shoulder charges.

Shoulder charges are part of Rugby League's fabric. It's what sets Rugby League apart. When a big hit is pulled off which is more often than not, the whole room erupts. Can the game afford to lose such an exciting component?

I think we should keep the shoulder charge but crack down on lazy attempts which result in a dangerous attempts i.e. head shots.

This is what I think should happen as well, also a "charging" component to hits, eg. not taking a long run at a guy than laying out a big shoulder charge.

How would a referee differentiate between "lazy" and mistimed? Seems to me like the sort of 'tackle' which could very easily go wrong without any intention to injure or, on the other hand, see players going for a cheap shot and getting away with it.

Latest posts