• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Quinlan banned 12 weeks

12 week ban has been confirmed on both RTÉ and Setanta, bit of a cop out really but to be expected. What an abolsute twat.

He's lucky it's only 12 weeks. Quinlan is a thug on the rugby pitch and deserved longer.

As an aside, I hate how in rugby players are banned for a period of time rather than a specified number of games. In essence Quinlan's ban is only 8 weeks since the last 4 weeks of the ban are during the "off season". I'd much rather if players were banned for a specified number of games rather than a period of time. For example, Quinlan could get a 15 game ban rather than 12 weeks.

Interesting that nobody's mentioned the O'Connell gouge either...

Perhaps nobody picked up on it.

didnt really think he deserved that length of ban, a good ticking off would have been more appropriate.

Pathetic when you consider that Best got 18 weeks for far less, and Hartley 6 months. Should be expected though I suppose, one rule for one club, another for those that aren't so popular amongst rugby's hierachy. :rolleyes:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan_Schweinsteiger_Webby @ May 13 2009, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Pathetic when you consider that Best got 18 weeks for far less, and Hartley 6 months. Should be expected though I suppose, one rule for one club, another for those that aren't so popular amongst rugby's hierachy. :rolleyes:[/b]

Bang on. A good ticking off would have raised some serious questions especially considering the likes of Hartley got told to sit on the sidelines for half a year. It would have also put a serious cloud over the coming Lions series..much like how a certain illeigal tackle by two players on BOD put clouds over the 2005 tour...especially when fans of those two players whinged when it happened to their boys later on in the Tri Nations which only compounded the ill feeling and mistrust ;)

Cant say I have any sympathy for him, or anyone who gets banned for this kind of behaviour, in fact if I had anything to do with it the punishment for this sort of thing would be significantly more severe. Being "tough" or "uncompromising" is one thing, this isnt the same ball park at all.

I think it's fair an these incidents always look far worse when it's shown in slow motion over and over again. Watching on the day it only looked like he was pulling Cullen away by the head but shown in slow motion, Quinlan ruthlessly sticks his finger in his eye and trys to rip out in a terifying 20 second ordeal that will haunt Cullen's memories for life.

It was reckless and dangerous, but I don't think he intended to do it. 12 weeks sems fair to me.

And to the point of doing it by matches rather than weeks. If someone gets banned in a club match do they miss 12 matches including international and lions etc? If so how do you decide whether they would have played in those matches anyway? If it's not done for all competitions then you get the situation where a player's banned for 5 club matches that he's not going to be playing in the majority of because of internationals...

So I understand the situation of banned for time rather than matches.

I think the ban is about right, there was no intent but it was reckless. Neil Best must be very ****** off though, although he actually made contact with the eye where as the evidence suggests Quinny didn't.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meh @ May 13 2009, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Interesting that nobody's mentioned the O'Connell gouge either...

Perhaps nobody picked up on it.[/b]

f*** off to the spiteful f***er in Gwlad land until tou can come up with a video of that incident, a still photo means nothing, and no video and no protests from Leinster = No POC Gouge

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ May 13 2009, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
He's lucky it's only 12 weeks. Quinlan is a thug on the rugby pitch and deserved longer.

As an aside, I hate how in rugby players are banned for a period of time rather than a specified number of games. In essence Quinlan's ban is only 8 weeks since the last 4 weeks of the ban are during the "off season". I'd much rather if players were banned for a specified number of games rather than a period of time. For example, Quinlan could get a 15 game ban rather than 12 weeks.[/b]
I agree 100%. Banning a player for a period of time when the season is about to come to an end is but a joke... A specified number of games - as in football - would indeed be far more appropriate and dissuasive...

Well I heard on rte that the ban is carried over the off season and will continue into next season.

Didn't i see some quotes? I thought everyone was clearly saying that Quinlan did not gouge, even Cullen himself. I'm sure i saw it.

Sure, the fingers made contact which deserves a good hard look for a citing, but if the victim (Cullen) had said that is was not malicious and that he hadn't really been victimised, then what is the basis for a citing to get a guilty verdict after the victim has testified for Quinlan?

There is such a inconsistency for citings, it's hard to know what you'll get even if it is extremely serious or rather unlucky.

Actually Fa'atau, if you watch the vid in real time it looks like nothing much, and even watching it in slowmo notice how Cullen doesn't close his eye at all, I don't know about you, but if I was poked in the eye even with a small amount of force my eye would be shut for at least 30 seconds. Anybody who doesn't believe me feel free to poke yourself in the eye and tell me the results on here.

12 weeks is pretty much fair IMO< just a shame he has to miss the Lions tour.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ May 13 2009, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think it's fair an these incidents always look far worse when it's shown in slow motion over and over again. Watching on the day it only looked like he was pulling Cullen away by the head but shown in slow motion, Quinlan ruthlessly sticks his finger in his eye and trys to rip out in a terifying 20 second ordeal that will haunt Cullen's memories for life.

It was reckless and dangerous, <strike>but I don't think he intended to do it.</strike> 12 weeks seems fair to me.[/b]
Corrected and agreed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ May 13 2009, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Didn't i see some quotes? I thought everyone was clearly saying that Quinlan did not gouge, even Cullen himself. I'm sure i saw it.[/b]
Nahhh Cullen didnt say anything really, he effectively said **** happens in rugby, someone else can judge. He talked it down alright, but he didnt go as far as to say it was nothing. Why should he?

Everyone else (Cheka, O'Connell etc)came out as an instant character reference saying his hard but honest and he wouldnt do it intentionally.

Its a shame really, but its his own fault.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan_Schweinsteiger_Webby @ May 13 2009, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Pathetic when you consider that Best got 18 weeks for far less, and Hartley 6 months. Should be expected though I suppose, one rule for one club, another for those that aren't so popular amongst rugby's hierachy. :rolleyes:[/b]
Well, Mauro Bergamasco is a bloody italian and he got 13 weeks for the same thing last year... seems fair to me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stillknox @ May 13 2009, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan_Schweinsteiger_Webby @ May 13 2009, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, Mauro Bergamasco is a bloody italian and he got 13 weeks for the same thing last year... seems fair to me.
[/b][/quote]
How about Perpignan hooker Tincu who got 18 weeks while there's still no such thing as a single image proving he actually tried to gouge his opponent's eye?... Should I also mention Mr White's decision and its consequences after the "Cudmore / O'Connell punch-up" during Munster-ASM Clermont, this year, in the HCUP?.........
I love the ERC's equity... I really do!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ May 14 2009, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't know about you, but if I was poked in the eye even with a small amount of force my eye would be shut for at least 30 seconds. Anybody who doesn't believe me feel free to poke yourself in the eye and tell me the results on here.[/b]
I just did that, but for both eyes. And I thought it would be interesting to use my fingernails as well.

You're right - it does hurt. Especially when the fingers push through and actually scoop out the eyeballs.

Thank god I can touch type.

I knew you would man, you should try pulling your jersey up and poking yourself in the eye as well, Quinny style like.