Raeburn and Utrecht Shields

Which Tyler

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Bath
I thought it's about time I'd started a thread for these.
The idea for these 2 shields was hashed out on another rugby forum I'm a member of (though I claim none of the credit) about 10-15 years ago - based on the Ranfurly Shield in NZ's domestic rugby.

The basic idea, is that we know the winner of every international match ever played; so this (sadly mythical) shield simply starts with the first winner - Scotland for the men in 1871 (match taking place at Raeburn Place), France for the women in 1982 (match taking place in Utrecht). The winner then defends the shield in their next match, and is taken home by the winner; and so on and so on.
IIRC There is an exception to this defence and take-home is that a RWC winner always takes the shield home, even if the holder goes out in the pool stages, though I don't think this has ever happened.
Because it's a winner-takes-it-all, 1 match at a time, more minor nations do get the chance to challenge for it, and even win it sometimes. To date, there have been 12 holders of the Raeburn Shield (including the likes of Japan, Samoa and Romania); whilst the Utrecht has passed through 8 sets of hands (including the likes of Italy, USA and The Netherlands)

For example, for the Raeburn Shield; in 2019, Ireland took the shield to the 6N, after taking it off Australia in November. Ireland gave it England, who then gave it to Wales during the 6N. During the RWC warm-ups, it shuffled around a bit, but ended up back with Ireland to take to Japan - who took it off them before handing it over to the Boks.

The current Raeburn holders are Australia, who won in during the QuadNations, whilst the current Utrecht holders are England, who took it off a rusty NZ a few days ago.

Both are being played for this weekend, as Australia are hosted by Scotland, and England play host to NZ.

It's just a little extra spice - and one that means more (to me, at least) than just slapping a random name on a rivalry that no-one knew was a particular rivalry (eg the Douglas Horn Trophy, or the Pershing Cup). This was first thought up due to the rash of seemingly pointless new trophies in the late 00s.

Last edited:
im on that forum too....

you can follow it on their facebook page

We were recently talking about how you would go about making them official, maybe crowdfund making the actual shields and then just donate them to the current "holders"? probably get a couple of spokes people behind it

IMO the key is to get some recognition in the media, and if possible, a patron with contacts.
If we could get Lee McKenzie or Craig Doyle bringing it up on telly, even as just the quickest of intro.s it'd be massive.
Or someone like Princess Anne as a patron, who could maybe even get something made...

Pie in the sky for now though. I just keep bringing it up in places like this, reposting on Facebook, tagging in the likes of Lee and Craig, who I'm sure just ignore it all.

IMO the key is to get some recognition in the media, and if possible, a patron with contacts.
If we could get Lee McKenzie or Craig Doyle bringing it up on telly, even as just the quickest of intro.s it'd be massive.
Or someone like Princess Anne as a patron, who could maybe even get something made...

Pie in the sky for now though. I just keep bringing it up in places like this, reposting on Facebook, tagging in the likes of Lee and Craig, who I'm sure just ignore it all.
yeah, fun to chat about, i actually think it would be good for world rugby, give some more meaning so what are otherwise "friendlies"

The Raeburn and Utrecht Shields: The newest, oldest trophies in rugby?

It's the one thing clubs strive for. Silverware. A piece of, usually, silver metal or varnished wood shaped into something teams grow to idealise.

The trophies of note tend to be the ones which have been around for the longest, and adopting new ones doesn't always have a lasting effect.

So just what happens if a sport's newest trophy has a history matching the oldest?

Article continues...

The Mens #sixnations kicks off soon and with England Rugby being current Raeburn Shield holders it is worth considering where it might end up during the tournament...
This graphic shows the various paths the shield could take and will help you to make a prediction for the five matches in the tournament.
Who can correctly predict all five matches?
Im really torn on the first match with Scotland at home so already struggling to commit to what the first result is
1f642.png

272802970_3315838571960914_7654305650391636125_n.jpg

So Ireland take the Raeburn Shield home with them for the Spring, as it dotted about all over the place in the 6N.
England => Scotland => Wales => Back to England => Ireland

Meanwhile, England are bringing the Utrecht into the 6N, starting this weekend, with Scotland launching their challenge.

the fact that WR hasn't made this an official thing is just another example of how amateurish a lot of aspects of rugby still are

another currently is the "heritage round" in super rugby, everyone was expecting retro jerseys and stuff like NRL and AFL...the sum total has been posTing some old games on the socials

There is a feeling talking to people that NZR buys into the all BS that NZ is rugby mad and there for we dont need to do anything else other than put on some games...the truth is rugby is nothing in NZ compared to AFL in Aus, football pretty much anywhere else in the world or any of the american sports...and all of those all put alot more effort into the stuff around the actual game

Utrecht is up for grabs in Auckland tomorrow; Fiji vs England

Quick note - IReland v Italy this weekend is a full-capped game, so the Raeburn Shield is up for grabs, and will be make history, whichever team wins.
Italy have never held it.
Ireland's current run is 9 successful defences - their longest. If they beat Italy, they'll move ahead of England in the table of nations with the longest streak, behind only South Africa (11) and New Zealand (17*).

*NB: NZ have 5 streaks of >10

If Ireland reach the final, they'll break the record for the longest run in history.

If Ireland reach the final, they'll break the record for the longest run in history.

Caveat obviously of reaching the final undefeated, still gotta have a fun round with SA (and Scotland) but even if they lose one game there they can still make the final

Caveat obviously of reaching the final undefeated, still gotta have a fun round with SA (and Scotland) but even if they lose one game there they can still make the final
Good point, well made

Quick note - IReland v Italy this weekend is a full-capped game, so the Raeburn Shield is up for grabs, and will be make history, whichever team wins.
Italy have never held it.
Ireland's current run is 9 successful defences - their longest. If they beat Italy, they'll move ahead of England in the table of nations with the longest streak, behind only South Africa (11) and New Zealand (17*).

*NB: NZ have 5 streaks of >10
Excuse my ignorance*, is the Raeburn for an Italy game?

*and my laziness for not reading the thread

Latest posts