TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springboks/confirmed-rassie-takes-up-director-of-rugby-job-20170630

Rassie Erasmus will be re-joining SA Rugby to fill a vacant role it was confirmed on Friday.

Erasmus, who left a year ago to take up a position at Irish province, Munster, will return as the Director of Rugby to oversee South African rugby's eight national teams and participation and management of 20 competitions as well as the development of players, coaches and referees.

During his time in Ireland he was named as Guinness Pro12 Coach of the Year after leading Munster to the top the log for the first time in six years as well as to the semi-finals of the European Champions Cup. Munster won 26 out of 32 matches in all competitions.

Erasmus' employment with Munster will terminate on December 31, 2017.

Jacques Nienaber, who joined Erasmus in Ireland, is also returning to SA Rugby as high performance coach.

Allister Coetzee's position as Springbok coach remains unchanged, said Jurie Roux, CEO of SA Rugby.

"Allister has done a great job to turn the Springboks around this season and I can categorically put to rest any idea that he is being replaced as Springbok coach," said Roux.

"We will do everything in our power to support him for the Rugby Championship and everything that lies beyond that."

So, along with Brendan Venter and Franco Smith, we will now have a lot of old heads to help Allister Coetzee get the Springboks back to it's previous glory.

Sucks for Munster, I'm disappointed. Not so much in his decision but his handling. Anyway I'm actually happy for the Boks. Like pretty much every rugby fan across the globe, I want the Springboks to be terrifying again. I feel like our victories over them the past few years have a little asterisk beside them... beating them doesn't feel as good as it did a decade ago!

People's thoughts on likely/ideal next Munster coach?

Latest posts