• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rebels announce three new Super 15 signings

Buddy considering the Courier Mail is a Brisbane publication and I'm living in NSW, that'd be a bit silly ;)
Berrick Barnes is a great bloke who is doing everything right off the field, but with the way the Reds are playing at the moment how could I possibly be missing him.

Jarrod Saffy should go pretty well. he was a no8 at school and made the aust schoolboys before being signed by the tigers in the nrl (like a lot of junior rugby players yet they winge when we get them back). very quick and dynamic player

I reckon the Rebels would do well in luring some AUS players from Japan home. Hugh McMemimen and Mark Gerrard spring to mind. Both quality players who were unlucky not to get Wallaby call-ups last year IMO; maybe due to them moving abroad. Gerrard was arguably the Brumbies' best player in the S14 last year and McMennimen is as solid a lock/loosie as you can hope to get.

I reckon the Rebels would do well in luring some AUS players from Japan home. Hugh McMemimen and Mark Gerrard spring to mind. Both quality players who were unlucky not to get Wallaby call-ups last year IMO; maybe due to them moving abroad. Gerrard was arguably the Brumbies' best player in the S14 last year and McMennimen is as solid a lock/loosie as you can hope to get.

i'd forgotten about Gerrard, he would be a very good signing. i was surprised when he didnt make the wallabies especially as when he was in the wallabies the year before he played well. mcmeniman is also a good player and would bolster thier side.

Huxley joins Melbourne Rebels for Super 15

Inspirational Brumbies fullback Julian Huxley has become the 19th signing to the Melbourne Rebels Super 15 squad.

Two months ago, and two years after having a brain tumour removed, Huxley astonished the rugby world with his courageous return to the Brumbies side in a game that saw him inspire his team mates to victory.

Now the 30 year old, in the best shape of his career, is ready for fresh challenges with the move to Melbourne for the expanded Super competition in 2011.

"I’ve had amazing support from the Brumbies and the rugby community in Canberra, particularly over the last two years, and now need to start a new chapter in my life.

"It’s very rare to get the opportunity to be a part of a start-up, to help build the foundations of a club. I am extremely fortunate to have this chance." Huxley said.

"I have enormous respect for Rod Macqueen and look forward to helping him deliver on his determination to do things differently with the Melbourne Rebels.

"I must say I have a more holistic approach to life through my recent experience and I expect Melbourne to offer as much off the field as on."

In commenting on the signing of the 9-capped Wallaby, Coaching Director Rod Macqueen said, "Julian has shown great form since his return."

"He brings with him a fantastic attitude to life and the game we can all learn from. He is an intelligent player who will make a significant contribution to the Rebels."

Julian Huxley Super Rugby Career
2002-2003 ACT Brumbies
2003-2006 Queensland Reds (Awarded Pilecki Medal as Reds Players’ Player 2003)
2007-2010 ACT Brumbies

Honours
1998 Australian Under 19s
2000 Australian Under 21s
2001 Australian Sevens
2005 Australia A
2007 Australian Wallabies (9 caps)
Source

Yet another good signing by the Rebels

Source

Yet another good signing by the Rebels

"Yet another" implies that they have been recruiting well, i really don't think they have.
-Hoani McDonald is a joke, they would be better signing an australian schools player. To think of the overseas players who could be there in his place makes me sad.
-Cipriani is exciting but a proven flake and turnstile defender, the Stephen Brett of the north.
-Sam Cordingly is a million years old and was never really any good to be perfectly honest
-Im not sure how i feel about Delve, depending on how much his contract is worth its either a great or a terrible signing especially considering hes taking up a "Marquee" spot.

Im very concerned about the ages of these signings, Huxley has been a great player in the past, but he will be 31 at the start of next season.
Sommerville will be 33, Frier 31, Cambell 31, Byrnes 29, McDonald 32, Hilgendorf 29, Mortlock 32, Cordingly 35!

Its dads army for crying out loud! where are the talented young players, the fact that they let both Christian Lealiifano AND Matt Toomua get away is criminal.

The only real A+ grade signings so far have been Kingi, Weeks, and Hilgendorf in my opinion, possibly Mortlock if he recovers and finds some form.

Latest posts