TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
James-Hilgendorf-Rebels-warm-up_2563792.jpg

Rebels coach Rod Macqueen has named his starting XV for Friday's Super Rugby season opener against the Waratahs at AAMI Park.

Former England international Danny Cipriani has been left on the bench in favour of James Hilgendorf.

Veteran scrum-half Sam Cordingley has recovered from a hip injury in time to start the match, while former Rugby League player Cooper Vanu has been selected to start in the centers alongside former Australia captain Stirling Mortlock.

Good news for Melbourne fans is the sight of former All Blacks prop Greg Somerville, who had been an injury concern.

"The team is looking forward to the challenge of playing the Waratahs and that all players named in the squad will get a run on the night," said Macqueen.

"The build- up of excitement around the club this week has been incredible and we are excited to be playing in front of a home crowd at AAMI Park," Macqueen said.

"Adam Freier has been unavailable for selection due to injury but we are pleased Sam Cordingley has passed a medical clearance and will be taking the field," Macqueen said.

"We know this will be our greatest test yet, the Waratahs are a well-drilled, physical team, who have been playing together and enjoying success in Super Rugby for many seasons, we are definitely the new kids on the block," Macqueen said.

The two teams will play for the inaugural Weary Dunlop Shield, to be awarded to the winner each time these teams meet for years to come.

Rebels: 15 Julian Huxley, 14 Lachlan Mitchell, 13 Stirling Mortlock (c), 12 Cooper Vuna, 11 Luke Rooney, 10 James Hilgendorf, 9 Sam Cordingley, 8 Gareth Delve (vc), 7 Michael Lipman, 6 Hoani Macdonald, 5 Kevin O'Neill, 4 Adam Byrnes, 3 Greg Somerville, 2 Ged Robinson, 1 Nic Henderson.
Replacements: 16 Heath Tessmann, 17 Laurie Weeks, 18 Alister Campbell, 19 Jarrod Saffy, 20 Nick Phipps, 21 Danny Cipriani, 22 Afusipa Taumoepeau.

Date: Friday, February 18
Venue: AAMI Park, Melbourne
Kick-off: 19.40 ( 08.40 GMT)
Referee: Mark Lawrence (South Africa)

http://www.planet-rugby.co.uk/story/0,25883,16024_6755259,00.html

The rebels have some good stocks at 9/10/15, its understandable that Cipriani is will sit on the sideline for game 1. The Rebels should do alright until guys like Mortlock start to get injured.

Not so sure about the Force battling for the wooden spoon though. The tight five is sub-par. But everyone from 6-15 is quality.

15. old
14. never good enough in the Prem
13. old
12. rugby league
11. rugby league
10. journeyman
9. journeyman
8. not even good enough for Wales
7. past it
6. journeyman
5. ok
4. journeyman
3. old
2. who?
1. an australian prop. hah.

I wouldnt expect Danny to be spending too much time on the bench. Rods a good coach and he'll have good reasons for not starting him.

Yeah: He's a petulant little gobshite who wants to be the centre of attention but to put in none of the effort. He's also nothing like the talent as he's been hyped-out to be.

Yeah: He's a petulant little gobshite who wants to be the centre of attention but to put in none of the effort. He's also nothing like the talent as he's been hyped-out to be.

I'd call going to see a sprint coach in your own time on your own money quite a bit of effort actually.

And Delve is Wales' best 8, just Gatland doesn't want to play him.

I'd call going to see a sprint coach in your own time on your own money quite a bit of effort actually.
You'd be hard pressed to find a winger in the prem that doesn't have a sprint coach

Cippers has ditched the scrumcap (finally) - he came on not long into the game due to injury to Hilgendorf
Looking alright, surprisingly (though Rebels still losing 0 - 10 at 40-odd minutes)

Edit: I must be bad luck, two tries in quick succession for NSW :p
Mitchell has 2 in the match so far, and he's in my fantasy team, so I'm happy :D

Last edited:
I really hate myself for not having him it was between him and gear, chose gear

Christ, Ciprianis decision making is terrible at times,

Just outside his own 22, decides to try and grubber through the defence =/

I really hate myself for not having him it was between him and gear, chose gear

I chose both :p

Cipriani has looked alright, but he isn't getting a lot of help from the guys outside him. The Rebels are putting too many men into the rucks and thus having no runners in the backline. Beale has impressed me again, as well as Waugh - he has some crazy eyes.

Man this Cooper Vuna is absolute ****...

And I should have picked Mitchell as well...I have Gear on the other wing so that is covered...

Hopefully Freuan has a big game tomorrow to complete a top weekend for my back three

15. old
14. never good enough in the Prem
13. old
12. rugby league
11. rugby league
10. journeyman
9. journeyman
8. not even good enough for Wales
7. past it
6. journeyman
5. ok
4. journeyman
3. old
2. who?
1. an australian prop. hah.

What a load of rubbish!

Stirling Mortlock, may be 33, but given Tindall still plays international rugby at the same age, it's a bit premature to write him off. As for your comments on Gareth Delve, you obviously never saw him Captain against Saracens, and weren't following the news prior to his departure to Oz (http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbyn...bid-to-fulfil-world-cup-dream-91466-27993093/). You say Michael Lipman is past it, but with the amount of time out of the game he's taken, who's to know? Stevens is back with you lot after a much longer lay off, Higgins is doing well at Exeter and Crockett seems to be first choice wherever he goes. I'd genuinely not support any one of those guys if they pulled on Cherry & White. Especially fat Matt. Greg Somerville old? Again, you couldn't have been following the news much. The NZRU competed with the Rebels for his signature in the hope he'd return home to be their first choice tight head for the world cup. He's also the most capped AB front rower and is hugely respected in the Southern Hemisphere.

As for Cipriani, from the times I saw him play, I always thought the hype was greater than the player. This move will be the making or breaking of him. Personally, I have doubts over his ability and rate players such as Myler, Burns and Flood ten times better. To be honest, I'd pick Gareth Steenson of Exeter over Celebriani.

Last edited:

Latest posts