Recruitment for a Club - help

goodNumber10

International
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
London Wasps
Does anyone have any recruitment tips?

I coach a small ex-pat club (it's actually about 50/50 french and expat but....) and like most clubs of that sort we struggle to consistently get players in/retain them. We obviously need to keep getting people in, and we do the adverts in a few magazine and poster/flyer the rugby orientated pubs.

Essentially we rely on a core of players that are here long term and play from year to year, and then we get a lot of transitional players like students on a gap year/placement and so on. Most players come in via our website or word of mouth with guys who go back to their uni and send them in our direction. We get a few players from the international schools, but the result is we can go from being a team with a ton of strength in depth that destroys all comers and takes the ***le to one surviving on bare bones in one off season.

As a club we've really been modernising, until 5 years ago they didn't even have coaches, then I took over as the coach and we now have a 4 man team dealing with coaching - and they are all experienced guys who've played some rugby. We also get guest coaches in from pro or Federal clubs etc... to do the occasional session here and there.

We don't have a lot of money but we have negotiated access to AMAZING facilities: like a 3G rugby pitch for training, and we are linked to a big Fed 2 club so if someone is really mustard we can push them onto a more suitable level of rugby. There are also loads of amazing social aspects around the club that you just wouldn't get anywhere else, we play in some incredible places and get to go to some events that regular clubs don't get.

My question to you is, how do we sell this to people? Does anyone have any recruitment ideas/tips? places we can advertise, or know of uni's that do placements etc... we can contact? (we already have loads but maybe we miss one or two).

I had the same problem with a team I was helping in Norway,most of players were expat students/worker everything we could do was to ask help to a local football team

Does anyone have any recruitment tips?

I coach a small ex-pat club (it's actually about 50/50 french and expat but....) and like most clubs of that sort we struggle to consistently get players in/retain them. We obviously need to keep getting people in, and we do the adverts in a few magazine and poster/flyer the rugby orientated pubs.

Essentially we rely on a core of players that are here long term and play from year to year, and then we get a lot of transitional players like students on a gap year/placement and so on. Most players come in via our website or word of mouth with guys who go back to their uni and send them in our direction. We get a few players from the international schools, but the result is we can go from being a team with a ton of strength in depth that destroys all comers and takes the ***le to one surviving on bare bones in one off season.

As a club we've really been modernising, until 5 years ago they didn't even have coaches, then I took over as the coach and we now have a 4 man team dealing with coaching - and they are all experienced guys who've played some rugby. We also get guest coaches in from pro or Federal clubs etc... to do the occasional session here and there.

We don't have a lot of money but we have negotiated access to AMAZING facilities: like a 3G rugby pitch for training, and we are linked to a big Fed 2 club so if someone is really mustard we can push them onto a more suitable level of rugby. There are also loads of amazing social aspects around the club that you just wouldn't get anywhere else, we play in some incredible places and get to go to some events that regular clubs don't get.

My question to you is, how do we sell this to people? Does anyone have any recruitment ideas/tips? places we can advertise, or know of uni's that do placements etc... we can contact? (we already have loads but maybe we miss one or two).

ask around other sports clubs

might get a footballer or two (probably a heavier one)

but try to advertise to all local sports clubs maybe do a joint training session

boxers might be a decent shout up for the contact
hockey aswell if there is a club

Schools and Unis are always a good idea, but look at the feeder clubs in the are, there will always be guys who want to play for fun with less thoughts on pro style rugby which i presume what this is,( as you state ex-pat/french type of team, club). Organise anglo / french games to get others people and teams involved, if as you say you have great facilities and a social side of excellent quality you should get players coming through the door and if all else fails do like we do at Montpellier, pay them 20 / 30,000â'¬ a month and just watch what happens!!!! Midi Olympique is another source, read by most rugby orientated players, and people interested in the game, comes out twice a week.

midi-o is a great idea Gaston.

We play in a league against french teams so there is lot so Anglo-French interaction on and off the pitch, it's social but a decent standard, and we play in the Corpo-division against old University old boys and the like (because we have no Ecole we can't join the federales).

thanks for everyones ideas..

Last edited:
If you contact midol they do articles all through the season on grass roots clubs and others, not sure if they will be intersted, but i will see a couple of the midol journos next week at press training so will pop a question to them about your case, but they will have guys who cover what you are looking for. If they do not want to play ball get the local newspapers involved even if only the social side if you have a club house, always good for funding the club and you never know a few might want to turn up with their kit..

ask around other sports clubs

might get a footballer or two (probably a heavier one)

but try to advertise to all local sports clubs maybe do a joint training session

boxers might be a decent shout up for the contact
hockey aswell if there is a club
Akinfenwa ?

Latest posts