• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Red Dead Redemption

If you don't like the travel somewhere-shoot something-collect award-repeat game structure, I don't think sandbox games are for you.

Umm, that's about the extent of it in a nutshell really. You can set-up a camp and go somewhere quickly if you like, although part of the charm is riding around as a cowboy.

Actually, I'm interested in what he was expecting?

Umm, that's about the extent of it in a nutshell really. You can set-up a camp and go somewhere quickly if you like, although part of the charm is riding around as a cowboy.

Actually, I'm interested in what he was expecting?

Well as I said really; just a little bit more to do. @Bullitt I love sandbox games, as i said with GTA 4 and the rest of the series, but I just find it a bit samey thats all. I've been playing it a bit more and doing lots of bounty hunter missions which are ok I suppose but im just hoping the main missions will become a bit more varied because to me it seems they're all pretty much the same with a different setting or characters:

Stranger missions are pretty much as varied as it gets but they are really short and I wish more could happen after you had completed their task e.g. after getting the deed for the water guy go and kill or 'coerce' other potential competitors.
Challenges aren't really challenges but just repeat the same thing again and again.
The mini games are good to start with but I won't play them again after i've won.

Don't get me wrong, I love the sandbox genre but it seems the genre needs to change a bit. I love GTA as I said and maybe it isnt the fact that RDR is a bad game but its the fact that it is essentially the same game and same stuff we had in GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas and IV were but with better graphics and in a different setting. It is essentially a storyline that is padded out with repetitive events over and over to draw out the play time that actually deviates from the acutal unique elements of the game.

I would recommened anyone who doesn't mind doing that to buy the game but I just got bored really quickly, but thats just me. Every time I went to do a main mission there would be some revealing conversation about Marsden which looked like it would lead onto something fantastic only for the other character to end the cut scene by getting you to kill [insert name here] for the 50th time etc. Maybe it isn't that RDR is a bad game but the genre is just a bit thin now for me.

I'd still reccomend playing through the story (if you were considering stopping?) i really do think it's one of the best i've played

I absolutely loved it. Bullitt was speaking to me on Live as I finished the story, he'll tell you that my jaw dropped.

Even my girlfriend, who hates RD:R because i just played it all day everyday when i got it thought the story/ending was good

Well as I said really; just a little bit more to do. @Bullitt I love sandbox games, as i said with GTA 4 and the rest of the series, but I just find it a bit samey thats all. I've been playing it a bit more and doing lots of bounty hunter missions which are ok I suppose but im just hoping the main missions will become a bit more varied because to me it seems they're all pretty much the same with a different setting or characters:

Stranger missions are pretty much as varied as it gets but they are really short and I wish more could happen after you had completed their task e.g. after getting the deed for the water guy go and kill or 'coerce' other potential competitors.
Challenges aren't really challenges but just repeat the same thing again and again.
The mini games are good to start with but I won't play them again after i've won.

Don't get me wrong, I love the sandbox genre but it seems the genre needs to change a bit. I love GTA as I said and maybe it isnt the fact that RDR is a bad game but its the fact that it is essentially the same game and same stuff we had in GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas and IV were but with better graphics and in a different setting. It is essentially a storyline that is padded out with repetitive events over and over to draw out the play time that actually deviates from the acutal unique elements of the game.

I would recommened anyone who doesn't mind doing that to buy the game but I just got bored really quickly, but thats just me. Every time I went to do a main mission there would be some revealing conversation about Marsden which looked like it would lead onto something fantastic only for the other character to end the cut scene by getting you to kill [insert name here] for the 50th time etc. Maybe it isn't that RDR is a bad game but the genre is just a bit thin now for me.

Don't get me wrong though, when I asked what you were expecting, I'd of liked good gameplay ideas that you felt would've offered something new. You obviously have had some sort of pre-conception of what would've made this a better game and I'm interested what they might be. I honestly don't know how you've gotten quite so bored as you have, as compared to GTA IV there's less likely-hood that an accidental car-crash with a cop will suddenly ruin your trip to a mission or things like that, that really annoyed me.

You did offer one suggestion, (to do with the stranger - water mission), but that was no deeper than go there and kill those other people. So, it's not an easy prospect to come up with ideas for what they could do. It's why FPS's are samey. Many game types get samey, but sandbox seems to have higher expectation from it.

Knowing what your like in the Rugby 2012 threads though, I bet I'll come back to this thread and you'll have already come up with one or two good ideas. :)

as compared to GTA IV there's less likely-hood that an accidental car-crash with a cop will suddenly ruin your trip to a mission or things like that, that really annoyed me.
But still very possible, as I have found out a few times.

I ought to get cracking on this, I've still not reached Mexico.

I'm going with the majority too and saying RED DEAD is IMMENSE. Didn't get bored at all. The only qualm I had was (I'm not too sure if it's just me being absolutely amazing at games in general :p ) it wasn't very difficult. I think I only died 2 or 3 times during the story missions.

A couple of things they could have added into play (seen as they aer already there) ;

Ability to use lasso in multiplayer

Your blip on minimap disappears in FreeRoam if you crouch (again multiplayer)

Cattle Rustling crime added - You can lasso bulls and cows in Mcfarlane ranch and other ranches but theres nothing to do with them. You should be able to steal them.

Your Beechers Hope ranch would be ideal to store the cattle and had all the coding in single player to do so.

Stagecoach Hold ups - Not just ones where you have the choice to help the stagecoach or join in the holdup. There should be stagecoaches randomly about to rob.

Train Robbery - At mo all you can do is kill the driver or jump on train and kill people to get their money. But they should have the triangle option to do a hold up like in the shops around town. Also there should be a safe or 2 on the train.

Not sure about this one as it may already be in. But me and my mate were on a server and he had his horse killed and he tried to jump on mine but pulled me off it (at the time I don't think we were posse'd up, can't remember) But I'm pretty sure u can't hitch a lift on back of yer mates horse, which is weird cos there are several missions in SP that NPC's jump on.

Would of LOVED to be able to play Poker online. More than possible too, surely? Maybe just have a Poker server and it records your online stats.

But from beginning to end I was hooked on the game. Still love it online too and add me if you wanna posse up sometime (Ruff4548)

Don't get me wrong though, when I asked what you were expecting, I'd of liked good gameplay ideas that you felt would've offered something new. You obviously have had some sort of pre-conception of what would've made this a better game and I'm interested what they might be. I honestly don't know how you've gotten quite so bored as you have, as compared to GTA IV there's less likely-hood that an accidental car-crash with a cop will suddenly ruin your trip to a mission or things like that, that really annoyed me.

You did offer one suggestion, (to do with the stranger - water mission), but that was no deeper than go there and kill those other people. So, it's not an easy prospect to come up with ideas for what they could do. It's why FPS's are samey. Many game types get samey, but sandbox seems to have higher expectation from it.

Knowing what your like in the Rugby 2012 threads though, I bet I'll come back to this thread and you'll have already come up with one or two good ideas. :)

I think I may have to take back most of what I said! I've got further into the game and I have to say its got 5, or even 10x better. I officially have egg on my face.

Four new DLC packs announced:
1) Legends and Killers Pack (Early August 2010, $10)
-New active map locations, characters and more
- 9 new multiplayer map locations — more than doubling the amount of territories in the multiplayer competitive modes
- 8 new multiplayer characters — play as characters from Red Dead Revolver
- Introducing a new projectile weapon: the Tomahawk, with corresponding challenges for single-player and multiplayer gameplay
- New achievements and trophies
2) Liars and Cheats Pack (TBD release date; $10)
- New competitive modes, multiplayer mini-games in Free Roam, and more
- Attack and Defend multiplayer competitive mode and challenges
- New multiplayer horse races, complete with mounted combat
- Play as the heroes and villains of Red Dead Redemption, as well as 8 additional multiplayer characters
- Multiplayer versions of Liars Dice and Poker from the single-player game
- Introducing a new weapon: the Explosive Rifle, with associated challenges available in single-player and multiplayer gameplay
- New achievements and trophies
3) Free Roam Pack (TBD release date; TBD price)
-Delve deeper into the world of Red Dead Redemption with
new modes, challenges and gang hideouts to discover
-New action areas and defensive placements
-Posse scoring and leaderboards
-New anti-griefing measures in Free Roam (Note from Stephen: Any theories on this, readers?)
4) Undead Nightmare Pack ("Fall" 2010; $10)
- Ghost towns and cemeteries come alive in a West gone horribly wrong
- Brand new single-player adventure, challenges and quests
- 8 new multiplayer zombie characters
- Additional animals unleashed in the world
- New dynamic events and more
http://kotaku.com/5582371/red-dead-redemption-adding-zombies-multiplayer-poker-more

Online poker, which someone mentioned above,
I think the zombies pack sounds interesting! Will probably get 1, 3 and 4.

Latest posts