• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Reduce the Premiership to 10 teams

Don't all the clubs need to vote in agreement to any big changes in the prem?
Why would Irish/sale/Worcester sign their own execution papers?

With two fewer teams in the top flight, there'd be two fewer home games and the gate receipts would go down, unless of course, the admission prices then go up by about 10% to compensate.
From a rugby point of view there are advantages (eg players play fewer games and have fewer injuries) and disadvantages (eg the usual clubs will probably be up and down each season). So the Irish and Worcester, as Olyy rightly says, may not support the idea. (I've not included Sale as I firmly believe that they've got the potential to stay in the top flight)

It's always had the problem of turkeys voting for Christmas - hence I never expected it to even be debated, and still don't expect it to happen.

Ringfencing has always seemed the price that would have to be paid to make this reduction remotely feasible - and much as I'm anti-ringfencing, it's a price I'm okay with paying between Champ and ND1. Though I'd still want specific codified criteria for future inclusion, including performance, facilities, administration and finance.

As for gate receipts - they've reduced in importance for clubs as TV deals have become more valuable more quickly, and the increased exposure has led to increased advertising deals. However, you can't improve player welfare without reducing the number of games played, and you can't reduce the number of games played without losing some home gates.

I'm sure I've written my personal preference on this board before,but I'm not about to hunt through my 1600 posts to find it...

Last edited:
10 teams would be too small. Especially if running over 8/9 months with breaks for Europe and internationals. Would be even more disjointed than now.

Ten teams does seem too small for a comp that takes 9 months to play. But something has to give. With all of the financial losses it seems that the central money generated by TV and league sponsorship needs to be divided by fewer teams. The market will eventually have the final word.

As for reforming the European club game it seems like the European cups are the comps that should be reduced. Are the pool games necessary? Could the Euro cups be double elimination where as soon as a team loses twice they are out?

Some people have even stated that the European cups should only be played on the off year from world cups. Like this year, 2021, 2025, etc.

Latest posts