• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ref?... what ref?

B

BOKean

in my game i cannot see the ref during general play. i can in cut scenes. i can hear him jabbering - "hands off" etc

is this a problem with my graphics card?

res - 1024x780

64mb nvidia gforce mx440 something...

there is no ref during play. in fact there arent many sports games where he does appear.

madden, fifa, nba, etc the refs all appear.

i thought i saw a ref running around in the gameplay videos - i must have been drunk

That is one area where WCR was ahead the ref was on the pitch and you could barge tackle him.

Problem with having a visible ref on is you have to animate and light him etc, which takes processing resource that is not needed. There's already 30 guys on the pitch.

Processing resources? That's rubbish, look at Madden, they have players on the pitch, animated players on the sideline, animated ref on the pitch, animated refs on the sideline, coaches and everything. I think EA had far more to worry about in terms of gameplay to even consider adding a ref on the pitch.

Originally posted by bluesfan@Mar 24 2005, 11:07 AM
Processing resources? That's rubbish, look at Madden, they have players on the pitch, animated players on the sideline, animated ref on the pitch, animated refs on the sideline, coaches and everything. I think EA had far more to worry about in terms of gameplay to even consider adding a ref on the pitch.
What do you mean "That's rubbish"?

It plainly does take up processing power, otherwise, how else would he get there? Magic?

Think about it....

Yeah i do apologise, it does definately take up processing power, but only minor. I just don't think adding a ref would be too much an ask on todays consoles and PC's, just look at how smooth Madden runs with all that is going on in the game. Anyway, im not actually bothered whether theres a ref running around anyway! As long as the game plays well, then I couldn't care less.

Originally posted by bluesfan@Mar 24 2005, 11:07 AM
How many players are on the pitch in Madden? Isn't American Football an 11 aside game like real Football, so 22 players?

madden has 22players, 4 refs, 2 coaches, heaps of reserves on the sidelines, cameramen, cheerleaders... all animated on the field at once

and that game (pc) has the best graphics of any sports game ever!

That's still only 28 animated characters compared to rugby's 30. Not to mention the 4 refs and 2 coaches will only have a handful of stock animations.

On top of that (american) football is much more pattern oriented whereas rugby is essentially freeform (apart from the set piece) meaning every player has to have his own "brain" at every game moment.

Still i understand that but madden also has super fans. Why can't rugby have cutscenes with croud in it if not showing the ref in open play. Also Rugby '05 like 2**4 does not have touchjudges.

Madden is stop-start gameplay, whereas Rugby 2005 is free flowing, meaning that every AI player on the field must be working and thinking during the whole 40 minutes. The ref, even though it would be a nice feature, would slow the game down somewhat. And in WCR, i often found myself tackling the ref instead of the player because he was in the way, resulting in a frustrating penalty.

I don`t think a ref is really necessary I would rather they work on other aspects of the game. When PES4 came out everyone was crying for a ref to be there but when you are playing it does not add to the game play the most important aspect of any sports ***le.

Ha.. look at PES4 on PS2, that slowdown you experience when there are a lot of players in the box was due to them adding a ref into the game. It was never an issue in previous versions. Thank God they fixed it a bit for PES4 as Winning Eleven 8 (JAP) was a lot worse.

Originally posted by SharksFan@Mar 23 2005, 10:05 PM
That is one area where WCR was ahead the ref was on the pitch and you could barge tackle him.
Yeah....it's heaps more realistic and choice when you can barge tackle the ref....is that the same barge tackle that cause you to lose the ball every, single, friggin time?

yeah that game was just awesome...

<
<
<

really.....

Latest posts