Referee decisions during World Cup

Umaga's Witness

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
a place to discuss the referee decisions during the World Cup. If you do so here it means the other threads don't get clogged up. This is my polite suggestion that we please discuss these things here, noting I am not a moderator so you don't have to do what I say.

Referee decisions absolutely warrant discussion But...

Match Threads can get so clogged with ref call chit chat that it is hard to find the rest of the discussion amongst it. You can scroll through and miss people's insights, and you can post stuff for discussion that gets missed. It's a killer of all other rugby discussion.

What's more, it puts people in disagreement with other, which stifles their conversations about the other matters.

@TRF_Olyy
@TRF_heineken
@TRF_stormer2010

It would be great if the moderators were on board but I can understand why they wouldn't.

Would be great if the moderators were on board so an official person is telling people in the other threads that they should take their discussions here.
I understand they might not want to because referee decisions are a legitimate part of a match discussion and it would be hard to police.
Clear as mud?

I actually thought he did release the player

he didn't, watched it multiple times to confirm it was a clear penalty and they got that right. Graces wanted the number of the player so he could card him and the TMO talked him out of it. In my view when a player deliberately commits a penalty in desperate defense on the try line to save a try after a long breakout that's an instant yellow card. I'd still put that on Garces though he should have enough common sense to reason with and overrule his TMO to get the decision right.

From an All Black perspective the other howler in this game was in the 46th minute just before the Boks scored their only try. Richie made his try saving tackle on Kolbe. Barrett shifted to ALB in goal and ALB managed to break the line and get right in behind the Bok defense before being taken down and a ruck definitely formed - Kitsoff was on his feet going for the ball and Read+1 other cleaned him out you only need one player from each team on their feet competing for the ball, that is a ruck. The AB's shifted the ball left and had a 4 on 0 overlap with speedsters bridge and Savea in wait. 3 bok defenders scrambling from midfield but the 15 was way on the other side leaving a massive gap. But PSDT came from behind the all black line jumped and intercepted the pass clearly offside, like so obvious it was ridiculous offside. But play continued despite protests from the AB's and a few phases later they scored their only try. That was essentially a 14 point error.

I think these were massive calls that were wrong. But this game was full of bad reffing and both sides have reasons to question the reffing.

Angus Gardiner is one of the refs I really respect but he made a howler to finish the France vs Puma's game. Going to be a tough WC for refs. Looking back WC's have become a bit of a lottery for refereeing. the games are so important it seems referees get whistle shy and tend to just let stuff go. Even more so towards the end of games.

As an AB supporter my main gripe is when Referees don't look after the off side line. The AB' are a running/attacking team that take risks and shift the ball. When a ref allows teams to sneak up in that area it ruins the attack of both teams but with the AB's having more emphasis on attack it hurts them more.

Poite has got them both wrong personally. The first one I can see being a bit more debatable, but the second was a red all day long.

Find it so depressing that Poitre has decided the result inside the first 40 mins. If you go through the protocol and decide its a dangerous tackle, it's red. Just because a TMO bleats about a dip should have no issue, Poitre simply doesn't have the stones to be there making those decisions. The Samoans simply reverted to type, in the first 20 mins things didn't go there way so in comes the dangerous tackles and try to bully a smaller nation/team. If IRB want to lower the tackle you simply can't have refereeing of that standard.

2 more citings coming persumably. Dissapointing that 1 of these players scored a try after coming back on.

As did Hodge if memory serves :mad:
Hate when this happens. The refs have literally ruined the games. A tiring fiji let in tries, play them vs 14 and aus will tire more too and maybe they still would have won but correct decision and its a much better contest thay it should be. Citing wont help fiji's chance to get out the group. Russia wont get out anyway but still its disappinting they havnt ever had a WC win and this could have been a chance for that.

I was looking forward to champion of the underdog Fuimaono-Sapolu springing to Russia's defence and protesting the terrible injustice they suffered, but not a single Tweet on the "yellow" cards, just a bit of praise for Samoa. Strange!

Poite has got them both wrong personally. The first one I can see being a bit more debatable, but the second was a red all day long.
I agree entirely. Not about him as a person. But Poite is about the worst ref at the moment. I know Owens is at the opposite end, He talks non-stop. This guy seems to say nowt. He totally got it wrong today. Should not be happening like that these days. I can honestly say i would have reffed it better.

I don't rate Poite as @ referee, but in fairness to him, I think the TMO talked him out of giving a red for Lee-Lo's tackle. Poite sounded like he'd made up his mind and then TMO said something like 'wait, there's mitigation'.

To not give Matu'u a red minutes later though was outright bizarre.

Latest posts